PDA

View Full Version : Going to REI today, for the first time

Silverstone
05-24-2011, 13:37
It's a big step for me, because having been an ultimate car-camper, I was a scoffer when it came to REI.

Trekking poles? ***? Are you kidding me? Titanium cook pots--What's wrong with my cast iron? I can get everything I need at Walmart and Cabelas!

etc.

I snickered and shook my head at my brother when he spent almost a grand in there a couple months back. But that was before I caught the backpacking bug.

Thanks to him and this site, I am a scoffer no more. Today I plan on dropping the first of several C-notes in the REI cash register.

bigcranky
05-24-2011, 13:39
Join the co-op. Members receive a 20% discount on one item this week as part of the REI anniversary sale. Membership lasts forever -- no more fees -- and if you shop there regularly, it is well worth the cost.

max patch
05-24-2011, 13:45
[I]Trekking poles? ***? Are you kidding me?

I still say that.

Spider
05-24-2011, 13:53
Picked a great time of year to go, there's some good deals available with the anniversary sale. And I second bigcranky's comment, it's definitely worth the investment to become a member.

TravelPro
05-24-2011, 14:06
Yep, definitely join, the best $20 you'll ever spend outdoors.
One of the perks is you get to come to their 'returned gear sales' they hold at local stores roughly every 90 days (ask at each store, schedules vary). On a given Saturday they open early and all their last 90 days of returned merchandise (some used, some like new) are out on special racks/tables, sometimes in a back room, at dirt cheap prices. At most stores individual staff have the ability to mark down prices even further, so just ask--I've had guys mark a $60 item down to $10 just because I pointed out the defect (a ripped zipper that was easily fixed afterwards).
Besides the up-front discounts you get an annual cash dividend rebate on a % of everything you spent. And you'll get a couple of 20% off coupons a couple of times a year.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-24-2011, 14:51
dont let the sales clerks sell you a bunch of unnecessary and heavy crap-do your research and know what you absolutely need just remember that everything you buy will be on your back go as light as possible I made the mistake years ago of buying a bunch on unnecessary stuff-as a result my pack weight was between 55-60 lbs -now its between 30-32 lbs with food and water for 7 days look at the packs lists that have been critiqued on Whiteblaze before you buy- with very few exceptions my rule is that if you dont touch it once a day you probably dont really need it---good luck

Chubbs4U
05-24-2011, 14:54
so what did you get?

Silverstone
05-24-2011, 17:59
I got stuck at the damn doctor's office for most of the afternoon, and then stuck in traffic. Didn't want to drive down to Brentwood and then fight more rush-hour traffic on the OHB, so I postponed my shopping trip until this weekend.

But to answer your question, probably gonna get a new strap for my daypack, a Nalgene bottle or two, perhaps a Z-rest pad, and also look at backpacks (not buying one for awhile yet).

Silverstone

Rain Man
05-24-2011, 20:52
Folks at REI are good. My daughter worked there for a while, after her thru-hike, before moving out of state.

We need to get you in Nashville Backpacker Meetup.com group! Or, did I say that to you already? Our monthly meeting is next week, date TBA.

That's quite a cheeky profile pic! :)

Rain:sunMan

Tinker
05-24-2011, 22:05
I've been a member since 1987. Worked there from 1987-1989. It's a good place to shop for good, solid gear. If you want ultralight, look elsewhere. Everything they sell they warrantee for practically forever. A lot of their help are pretty much newbies, so if you don't feel like you're dealing with the voice of wisdom and experience, ask for the department head. They usually know their merchandise.

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 22:07
If I took in an older REI pack that they no longer sell, do you think they would help me adjust it?

Tinker
05-24-2011, 22:10
If I took in an older REI pack that they no longer sell, do you think they would help me adjust it?
Absolutely! They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 22:10
Absolutely! They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

yay!!!! I'm dangerous in the adjustment department. In fact, I'm dangerous in a lot of aspects in life~!

Feral Bill
05-24-2011, 23:20

They readjusted my kid packs for years as they grew.

Sierra Echo
05-25-2011, 06:18
They readjusted my kid packs for years as they grew.

Thats cool!

double d
05-25-2011, 09:32
I've been a member of REI for about 15 years and I think you're doing yourself a great favor by joining REI.

Rain Man
05-25-2011, 12:13
I've been a member of REI for about 15 years and I think you're doing yourself a great favor by joining REI.

35 years here! And yes, joining REI is doing oneself a huge favor IMHO.

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 12:21
um im not sure what gear you have but i can give you a big agnes one man tent its brand new never used i lost the poles though they are about 75 bucks i think , um im giving away my low alpine pack if u would like that , um i have a buck knive you can have too , also i got a lufma sleeping bag that has one small whole u could have but its only for ppl that are 5 . 9 or shorter

Soon Man
05-26-2011, 07:19
We recently got our first REI in the area. A very good, big store. I love our local EMS, not quite as glamorous but I get great friendly advice there. Decisions . . .

TIDE-HSV
05-27-2011, 01:13
35 years here! And yes, joining REI is doing oneself a huge favor IMHO.

Hmmm... I don't remember the dates, but my # is 270,***. About the same range?

Jaybird
05-27-2011, 04:55
It's a big step for me, because having been an ultimate car-camper, I was a scoffer when it came to REI.
Trekking poles? ***? Are you kidding me? Titanium cook pots--What's wrong with my cast iron? I can get everything I need at Walmart and Cabelas!
etc.........................

REI or any other LOCAL outfitter store will be able to HELP
in any needs that you have.:D

i now ask for GIFT CARDS to REI (or my fave local bicycle shop) @ Christmas & other special events during the year...

Maybe I'll see some of u out there...w/ your NEW REI gear!:D

May 28-June 12
DWG nobo Salisbury,CT
w/ "Piece O' Work"

RGB
05-27-2011, 17:55
Yeah make sure to do research. REI is like Guitar Center. They'll try to sell you anything they can. Look online, pick out what you want, and make abundantly clear that that's what you want and nothing else. Welcome to corporate backpacking.

Sierra Echo
05-27-2011, 18:48
I went to REI today and bought a jetboil stove that was on sale. And something else I forgot what it was. :-?

sam4msu
05-27-2011, 18:59
I think it just depends on the local store. I often shop at the Brentwood, Tn store and have never been pressured to buy or oversold.

TIDE-HSV
05-28-2011, 01:47
I think it just depends on the local store. I often shop at the Brentwood, Tn store and have never been pressured to buy or oversold.
Although I've been a customer since the early '70s, I've only shopped a few stores, Brentwood being one of them, and I've never felt pressured at all...