PDA

View Full Version : ruffwear dog packs

medic mullins
05-24-2011, 13:47
Im hikeing with a ruffwear pack they got awsome customer service and the pack is so light its unreal , im having a issue with the stiching and they are taking it back with no issues and they are sending my dog a new pack and they really KNEW HOW TO TALK WITH ME I HAVE PTSD AND I GET UPSET FAST but ruffwear could tell i was having some issues with my current spot cause of the dog pack and man they were so sweet it was unreal , i swear by them nice ppl , great dog packs , well designed gear for my dog like my dog jumps on rockfaces with this pack it s like he cant even tell its there ...any way thank you ruffwear for your help you are a great american company and all dog lovers agree you guys are the best im proud my dog carries your pack, ill never buy a my dogs gear anywhere else again !!!great stuff ruff wear , god bless you guys your on the ball , way to stand behind at hikers !

general
05-24-2011, 14:55
dogs been using a ruffwear pack for over 10 years. still going strong, no issues what so ever.

medic mullins
05-24-2011, 15:05
Thats what im saying general they make great packs , there a chance that the stiching got messed up because i had to catch my dog and grab his pack , what kind of pack do u hike with ?

general
05-24-2011, 16:45
don't remember the model. the pack velcros down onto the harness. it's bombproof. that's awesome that they are happy to take care of your issue. too many gear manufacturers that won't stand by their stuff. north face is the worlds worst.

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 11:41
yes i have heard alot of bad things about north face but i have have never used there gear so i dont know , all i know is this year on the trail the only peice of gear i love is my dogs ruff wear pack and my buck knive every thing else is failing , o i also like brunton solar chargers and my inspire battery pack for the computer i carry with ...but yea man good hiking and good luck

John B
05-25-2011, 14:20
I have two labs and this is my youngest, Chance, 3 yrs. old, in a brand new RuffWear "DoubleBack" collar and a Knot A Leash leash. When he sees a rabbit, he goes postal and would snap a regular collar, and these by RuffWear are designed for "big dogs with a big pull." They make good stuff.

But I also really like NorthFace products, esp. their narrow-width boots, fleeces, and pants. I know that I'm in the minority, but I"m used to that, too.

Toli
05-25-2011, 15:00
Every piece of my hounds gear is RuffWear, leash, fleece jacket, Gore/Vibram booties, colapseable bowl... Except his pack... Til now... The new Palisades is totally awesome... Saw it at Trail Days in Dahlonega... The Rep was super nice too...

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 15:01
Wow thats a awsome dog !!!How much does he weigh / carry ?

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 15:02
toli what breed is that ? how much does he weigh/ how much does he carry

should i buy the cooling jacket they make ?

Toli
05-25-2011, 15:25
toli what breed is that ? how much does he weigh/ how much does he carry

should i buy the cooling jacket they make ?

He's a Weimaranier...All 3 times we "Dog Thru" hiked, he started around 80lbs, and finished around 70lbs... He carries around 15/18lbs including food(5 days worth), his gear(jacket/fleece blanket/boots(hiking and camp boots)/first aid and 2 50oz CamelBak bladders)... He has almost no hair, so cooling was never an issue... Keeping him warm was more an issue... And when it rained, I would use his Daisy chain on his pack to stow my fly and footprint to dry :D...

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 16:20
i saved that pick , great looking dog
what do you guys think about the cooling jacket ruffwear makes ?
what do you guys do about ticks ?

Gaiter
05-25-2011, 16:31
i have a mountain smith for my dog, they have good customer service too, it looked to me like a stitch was barely missed on one of the bottom straps, they overnighted me a replacement pack...

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 21:01
gaiter have u used a cooling jacket ?

Toli
05-25-2011, 22:14
i saved that pick , great looking dog
what do you guys think about the cooling jacket ruffwear makes ?
what do you guys do about ticks ?

Ticks??? Damn... Pulled the first one of the year off my hound today... I live between Woody Gap and Neels Gap and this is THE soonest I've ever seen them... Saw Poison Ivey on the mountain 2 weeks ago... Once again, my hound has VERY short hair so ticks are not a prob... I just look him over before we leave camp, at lunch, and right before he goes into the tent at night... I check inside his ears/between his toes especially... Thats where SideKick seems to get the most... I also have him on Advantix II... Never used or known anyone who has used the cooling vest... FWIW...

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 09:11
should i shave my dog ?

oruacat2
06-11-2011, 22:59
should i shave my dog ?

No - you should not shave your dog. Trimming or "cleaning up" excess fur on its belly, legs, tail, whatever might be okay depending on the dog, but your dog's coat serves a purpose. If you're worried about overheating, a better option is a good brush (the Furminator is a miracle tool) to remove excess dead hair.

benji
12-28-2011, 21:33
My husky has been wearing the ruff wear approach pack for 6 years with no probs. I even attached a GoPro mount to it with lots of gorilla epoxy, zipties, and seam sealer.. ruff wear... GOOD STUFF

benji
12-28-2011, 21:36
If your dog has an undercoat (husky, chow, malamute, etc.. DEF NOT.. although the undercoat is an extra insulation layer, ironically it helps cool a dog in the summer.... Advice i got from several vets one in particular at CSU vet teaching hospital...best in the nation... may be i'm just lucky but my husky needs no flea meds because they don't like him:)