PDA

View Full Version : Good winter reading?

sprocket
01-29-2005, 13:37
Hey all, there was a thread on here some weeks ago that I can't seem to find anymore. It regarded something like "the best outdoors books of all time"? One of my favourites was listed on the first poster's list, "My side of the mountain", And I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to this post 'cause there were many MANY books listed there that looked like great reads.....
Any help would be appreciated.....general searches aren't pulling anything up.
Thanks in advance,
-Cliff (aka-Sprocket)

sprocket
01-29-2005, 14:16
I was hoping someone here had the link......?

steve hiker
01-29-2005, 14:25
Just type "books" into the seach engine. It'll pull up several long threads.

stickman
01-30-2005, 12:04
Read "Follow the River" by James Thom. Its a true story, and you'll never again feel justified in complaining about anything that goes wrong in your life.

Stickman

Rain Man
01-31-2005, 11:03
Just type "books" into the seach engine. It'll pull up several long threads.

Yep... I just tried that as a test, and it worked just fine.

I REALLY enjoyed that (those two?) thread(s).
:sun
Rain Man

TUNEDVWGTI
01-31-2005, 11:46
The best book I have read that is a recounting of someone's Thru-Hike is, "On the Beaten Path" by Robert Rubin. It is basically written in a journal format.

Another great book I have read on the A.T. is, "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxemberg. It recalls famous and not so famous Thru-Hikes of the past.

Also,
I haven't read it yet, but I hear a lot of people talking about, "Walking on the happy Side of Misery"

Happy hiking.

The Hog
01-31-2005, 14:32
Best Outdoor Books of All Time is the thread you're looking for (in the Media Section) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6540

sprocket
01-31-2005, 18:01
That's the thread I couldn't find...probably 'cause I waslooking in the "general" section..... Thanks "Hog":cool:

Clark Fork
01-31-2005, 18:51
Hey all, there was a thread on here some weeks ago that I can't seem to find anymore. It regarded something like "the best outdoors books of all time"? One of my favourites was listed on the first poster's list, "My side of the mountain", And I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to this post 'cause there were many MANY books listed there that looked like great reads.....
Any help would be appreciated.....general searches aren't pulling anything up.
Thanks in advance,
-Cliff (aka-Sprocket)One read that makes good winter reading is not a book but a journal found on a website: "Then the Hail Came." Enter the website in your favorites and click on Chapters. Read a Chapter every day. If you ever hope to journal, this journal wonderfully describes the trail. I am convinced, spending some time on this site will be a learning experience in terms of journal writing. The writer is obviously gifted and you will find inspiration in the writer's poetic descriptions of mountains, clouds, incoming storms and general conditions on the trail.

http://www.skwc.com/exile/index.html

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana