PDA

View Full Version : Annapurna in January/February

Johnny Thunder
05-24-2011, 19:51
Hi. I'm planning my next winter vacation and would like some first-person advice about crossing Thorang Pass in mid-winter. I only have the chunk of time available to me in late January and early February.

fiddlehead
05-24-2011, 20:11
On my first trip there ('88) I tried and the weather was just too bad.
We were headed clockwise and only made it a few miles past Muktinath.
That was in Jan. And the wind and snow was just too much for us.

A few years later, I went back and did the circuit in March. No problem and lots of people.

Then in 2004, I did it again in March. Again no problem.

I have done the Everest basecamp trek twice, both times in Jan.
Not saying it's any different weather. I think it's just the year and month you go.

I usually go in Jan because I'll take less tourists over guaranteed good weather almost every time. (although I was there in '91 when avalanches killed a bunch of trekkers near Annapurna base camp)

Good luck in your decision and the weather once you get there.
As with any hike in the winter, I believe you must be flexible

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 20:19
Be careful! Anapurna has a higher death rate then Everest!!! I'm jealous that you get to go!!

Dogwood
05-24-2011, 20:35
You might contact Francis Taupon "The Onion." I believe he did the Annapurna Circuit.

It's my guess is that it's going to be snowy going in Jan/Feb!

mweinstone
05-24-2011, 20:43
annapurna. now you stab at my soul. i have carved her slopes and glaciers from bowls of ice cream since birth.

DapperD
05-24-2011, 22:10
Be careful! Anapurna has a higher death rate then Everest!!!This is the mountain where the legendary climber Anatoli Boukreev lost his life:http://classic.mountainzone.com/climbing/boukreev/

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 22:16
This is the mountain where the legendary climber Anatoli Boukreev lost his life:http://classic.mountainzone.com/climbing/boukreev/

Wow! I'm shocked that he made a winter attempt!

mweinstone
05-25-2011, 06:51
some of us have a special place in our souls for the memorys of those who wound or perish against mountains. from anatol (never saw his name in print with the i on the end
) to merideth. from mallory to wymper. from scott to hornbein and unsold. when we reset the limits on human endevor, the ones who move the bookends get lost. and in doing so are found forever. god bless you greg and all on ranier. god bless you john and all who rest in my trail. god bless you mr umora and all.

may we all strive to have the forthaught of shackelton, the skill of hillery and the streangth of tenzing.and may the lucko f amundson and boone go with us. in all the fandeck of mountain men and women,the color most seen is gold. shine on .

Jim Adams
05-25-2011, 07:04
sooooo jealous!

geek

mweinstone
05-25-2011, 07:08
my jelosy knows no bounds. its forward edge should reach the shores of thundaria wipeing out all vacations leaving a scraped landscape of still at work workers sometime today. it is rated an f5 jelosy event. chewing alloy carabener to calm.