PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever encounter S-Biners?

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:46
They're like two-sided carabiners, but much smaller. I found them after I bought several carabiners, and I quickly added them to my list. Very light, very useful. Has anybody who used them had any problems with them?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_az07PLfwhLw/SwebiD8KTAI/AAAAAAAABl4/53VO99k_W2A/s1600/e97cb169-7803-4fa1-8d92-7c0f093cf5b3.jpg
(not the real size: they're about the size of ones big toe)

just dad
05-24-2011, 20:51
I have used them for a couple years. They have performed well.

tuswm
05-24-2011, 20:59
I like them but dont usually take them hiking. They also dont hold up well in the ocean.

adamkrz
05-24-2011, 21:10
I have one, Don't like it - it opens too easy causing me to lose a small light I had attached.

STICK
05-25-2011, 00:24
I have a few, but I have found that for me they are overkill. I cannot remember which number I bought, but it is the one that holds up to 75 pounds. However, I have found them to be is too big, and too heavy. Mine weighs somewhere over an oz or maybe more. I ended up replacing them with the ZPacks Mini-D Carabiners. Much smaller, effective and way lighter. 0.1 oz each!

Dogwood
05-25-2011, 03:34
You might want to approach it like this, different biners for different uses. Those S-biners are certainly stronger and more durable than those cheapy spring loaded biners found at checkout stands meant for things like key chains, etc but not quite up to the stength needed to save your life climbing. The S-biners come in plastic or metal. The plastic(I think it's plastic) weigh less but are less relaible. The metal and plastic look VERY similiar. Might be good for some hiking related uses. I used one of the small plastic S-biners to hold a water bottle attached to a D-ring on my shoulder strap. As Adamkrz said they do open easily. I've lost a few that way.

Rocket Jones
05-25-2011, 05:54
They have a bad rep over on the Everyday Carry Forums because they open too easily. I wouldn't trust one to hold anything important.

Rocket Jones
05-25-2011, 05:54
They have a bad rep over on the Everyday Carry Forums because they open too easily. I wouldn't trust one to hold anything important.

Spokes
05-25-2011, 06:05
Here's another vote for them opening up way too easy

4Bears
05-25-2011, 09:28
If they come out with a locking one then they might have a true winner as they do open much to easy for attaching to a pack and then walking. IMHO

Buffalo Skipper
05-25-2011, 09:32
I have 4 of them I take hiking. Nite-z small. I use them to attach my underquilt to my hammock. I have 2 spares that I keep on my whoopie slings to keep the loop from closing in on itself. I find them useful for small tasks like this. Total weight of all 4 is under 1.5 oz.

For the purpose of weigth calculation, I just include them with whatever object to which they are attached.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EEc1uPCDL.jpg

Many Walks
05-25-2011, 11:04
I keep looking at them and walking away. It seems if I get the stronger ones, they'll add more weight than they're worth. If I get the lighter ones, they'll be too flimsy to hang on to the gear. If I'm going to carry something on the trail I want it to be there when I hit camp. They look good, but so far I'm not convinced they are.

ScottC
05-25-2011, 11:35
I used the model Buffalo Skipper showed above for a PCT Bear hang, but the cord rolled out the biner. Switched back to a traditional, small aluminum biner.

Nutbrown
06-06-2011, 09:08
I attach my tarp to my single tarp line with the smallest metal ones. Works well.

leaftye
06-06-2011, 10:16
I haven't had a problem with mine and I've been using it for months.

AaronMB
06-06-2011, 12:15
Essentially, I've found that they work OK when pressure is constant, or coming from one direction.

I've used them for a few years and my only loss has been when they are used as zipper pulls: the back and forth action of zipping/unzipping can cause the zipper loop, if you will, to slip under the biner's catch, resulting in the biner coming off the zipper.

ATsawyer
06-07-2011, 19:53
As an AT overseer, I pick up what falls off other people's packs. I have picked up a number of S-'biners from the Trail, but never a standard carabiner. In my experience, it would be the 'biner most likely to fail.