PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Inquiry

stranger
12-04-2002, 19:49
I just checked out the Tarptent site and it looks pretty sweet. As a long time tarp user I am very interested in the design. I like the sewn in floor with mosquito netting feature, has anybody used this design? I am wondering if the floor is a bathtub style or just sits flat on the floor...it's hard to tell in the pics. Thanx

Lugnut
12-04-2002, 20:24
I made one of Henry Shire's tarptent last spring. It "test drove" to my complete satisfaction on a frosty night at Beauty Spot. At that time it didn't have the floor but it does now. The little added weight is nothing and keeps one from lying in poison ivy! I was a long time scratching.
I got the plans for my tent fromm thru-hiker.com and AYCE, who has the site, also sells everything you need except the zipper. Any further questions just ask. I carry mine when it is too cool for my hammock. Anything to stay out of the shelters.

stranger
12-06-2002, 15:31
Thanks for some info Lugnut...I am probably gonna buy the Tarptent as I can not sew for my life. Think I will get the sewn in floor, seems like a really solid product. I hear ya about the shelters.

LBJ
12-11-2002, 08:08
Hey Stranger,
I recently ordered a Tarptent. Get your order in quickly if you need it for an upcoming hike as there is about six weeks lead time to get your tent after ordering. I ordered mine with a floor also(5 oz additional weight I think).
John Carnahan
[email protected]

hopper
03-27-2003, 19:22
I just got my Virga Tarptent that I'm going to be using for a AT thru hike. I'm already in love with it, it sets up quick, had a nice low profile while still allowing me to sit up, and was relatively inexpensive compared to some.

Did I mention it weighs under 2 pounds with sewn in floor? :D:D:D:D

Henry seemed like a VERY cool guy as well.

steve hiker
08-29-2003, 03:26
Just got my Cloudburst yesterday. Supposed to be more rigid than the Virga or Squall and able to handle some snow. That's the real draw for me, I'll be able to use it in winter too and it's half the weight as my old tired heavy-as-lead winter tent, a SD Clip Flashlight.

Haven't set it up fully, but spreading it out on the floor it looks like plenty of room, enough for both me and me pack. Got mine with a sewn-in floor.

Total weight is 2 lbs 6 oz. If I had ordered the floorless version I'd be using a tyvek sheet which weighs several ounces, so I figure the weight is the same as a floorless tarp w/tyvek -- But with bug netting and more convenient.

Backordering problems? Got mine in about 2 WEEKS. Emailed Henry Shires when I placed my order and told him I have a trip planned in mid-September, and gosh darn there was this box sitting oustide my door yesterday! Will give yall an update later this month.

poison_ivy
08-29-2003, 08:26
I have a squall tarptent and it rocks. I can't say enough good things about it. I have the sewn-in floor... I wouldn't call it "bathtub" style.... but after seam sealing it per the directions, I haven't had any trouble with rain or condensation getting in. I've used it in pretty strong winds and heavy rain without any problems what-so-ever. For some reason, mine weighs in slightly less than the weight posted on the website... maybe my postage scale is off or something.

At any rate, I highly recommend the tarptent!

- Ivy

Mike Drinkuth
08-29-2003, 09:35
will someone post a link, i am very interested in seeing this site
-thanks

brian
08-29-2003, 10:04
www.tarptent.com

Brian

tlbj6142
08-29-2003, 14:47
Originally posted by Mike Drinkuth
will someone post a link, i am very interested in seeing this siteIf you are in the market, I also suggest you take a look at Six Moon Design's (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/) tent. The Europa II (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/Europa2.asp). It is in the same "class" as the tarptents. You can't go wrong with either one.

Of course, I prefer a hammock.
:banana :banana :banana

brian
08-29-2003, 22:29
I prefer a hammock too...in fact...im sleeping in one tonight!

Such a nice night in the 'hood

;)

Brian
Thru Hiker 2013

steve hiker
08-29-2003, 22:51
There are lightweight tents out there, but I don't like the feeling of being closed up on all sides in the wilderness. In a tent you wake up to this weird glowing green light (or orange etc) and plastic walls like you're in a rubber room in the morning. Takes something basic away from the woods experience. With a tarp or tarptent you're always in the open more or less, and can see the stars and moon at night and sun and trees when you wake up in the morning.

tlbj6142
08-30-2003, 09:11
Originally posted by Jumble Jowls
With a tarp or tarptent you're always in the open more or less, and can see the stars and moon at night and sun and trees when you wake up in the morning. Have you seen a tarptent? If they were orange, you'd wake up to an orange glow. Same for tarps. A roof is a roof. You can't see the stars (except at the horizon) from a tarp or a tent.

BTW, the Europa II doesn't have a front door just like the tarp tent.

steve hiker
08-30-2003, 15:11
The Tarptents are much more open than enclosed tents. Almost as much as a regular tarp. The front is completely open (unless you have the storm flaps down), the rear is open about a foot high, and there's an open bug net border about 6 inches all the way around. So you can see bears coming to eat you before they rip their way inside.

So with a Tarptent you have a much better view of the stars and trees than in a fully enclosed tent and won't wake up feeling like you're in a rubber room.

My Cloudburst is dark grey, so no weird colors will shine in my eyes when I wake up. The other Tarptents, Virga and Squall, are white (which I'm not particularly fond of -- too loud and bright). However on Henry Shires webpage it looks like the Virga is now dark grey also. Much more natural.

And yes, I have seen a Tarptent. Got my Cloudburst this week, and will use it on a 5-day trip a few weeks from now. Will keep yall posted.

smokymtnsteve
08-30-2003, 21:13
Leave No trace Outdoor ethics ask that folks buy gear that blends with the surroundings...subdued colors.( which ruless out my red vest and hat:eek: ) so your dark grey tent is less intursive and less adrastic "eye shock" there something to...havign gear in more"natural subdued colors"

My tarp in black.... just like I like my coffee....no color at all in the morning..

Crazy_Al
05-12-2004, 07:53
I am going to make a tarptent using the Thru-Hiker kit.
I thought I would get the 2 person tent rather than the one person tent, although I plan to be alone. What what would you recommend, one or two person tent ???

DeoreDX
05-12-2004, 09:03
Here is my Cloudburst up at the new tent pads on Slaughter Gap in January. The Tarptent is a lightweight shelter and is absolutly palacial. Wind gusts were up in the 40's that night on the side of Blood Mountain. It's a fabulous wind and storm proof shelter that offers huge ammounts of room for not much weight. It does have that tarp openess feel to it, so if you prefer a shelter that feels more "secure" and closed off from the world you might not like it. Personally I love all the mesh and like being able to look out.

http://www.mindspring.com/~deoredx/AT2004/slaughter_tent.jpg

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 13:58
That's hilarious, 'leave no trace' ethics asking folks to only use neutral/natural colors.

tlbj6142
05-27-2004, 14:41
That's hilarious, 'leave no trace' ethics asking folks to only use neutral/natural colors.Yep, here is the link (http://www.lnt.org/TeachingLNT/background/beconsiderate.php).

kncats
05-27-2004, 14:44
From www.lnt.org (http://www.lnt.org) (the U.S. Leave No Trace educational program)

Be Considerate of Other Visitors
One of the most important components of outdoor ethics is to maintain courtesy toward other visitors. It helps everyone enjoy their outdoor experience.

When selecting a campsite, choose a site where rocks or trees will screen it from others view ... Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lesson visual impacts.