PDA

View Full Version : Favorite River Crossing?

dperry
01-29-2005, 15:47
What's everyone's favorite major river crossing on the AT?

MadAussieInLondon
01-29-2005, 17:50
i had fun crossing one just after monson in maine. hiked my kilt all the way up over my knees and attempted the crossing, im sure it was a bit indecent but nobody besides ross/cheers was around hahahahah

BlackCloud
01-29-2005, 21:45
I like the biggest pedestrian bridge on the trail - thru a nice stretch of AT to boot.....over the James

Peaks
01-30-2005, 10:22
How about the Penobscot with the picture postcard view of Katahdin?

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 14:29
Kennebec on foot of course.

Kerosene
01-30-2005, 15:54
I've only done Georgia, plus Catawba, VA north to NH, so I put my vote in for the James River Foote Bridge (north of Roanoke and just outside Glasgow). While it's cool to have people honk at you while crossing an automobile bridge, I liked this quieter pedestrian-only bridge over the James River. Of course, I also had a lot of energy since Hikerhead had just treated me to dinner in Glasgow and drove me back to the trail head in time for me to get to Matts Creek Shelter for a lovely evening alone by the bubbling brook.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2005, 16:11
The Connecticut. It means I'm home.

Second would be the Nolichucky as it means I'm about to have a visit with Miss Janet.

Third is probably the Delaware cuz it means one is finally free and clear from Pennsylvania!

Ramble~On
01-30-2005, 19:13
I had to go with the Delaware.

Crossing it was a victory...I left PA and was on the "second half" I guess it was my mental halfway point.

The Hog
01-31-2005, 09:40
The Kennebec. We did it on foot in 1984. IMO, this ford should be restored. The Nat. Park Service and Trail community needs to do some arm-twisting on the folks controlling the dam upstream. There should be a time window in the morning/early afternoon when the flow is regulated to match what the average flow is for that time of the year.

fiddlehead
04-10-2005, 23:49
I agree with "The Hog" But you must do it early in the day. I mean really early. The dam release schedule could (possibly) be posted and the white blazes moved up river to the sandbar. (I know, Fat Chance of THAT happening) Keep the canoe guide there for those not inclined to get their heart pumping too much or if they get there after the release hits. This crossing is good practice for the PCT and CDT river crossings.

Just don't try it after the release is there, the deepest part is the last 20 feet for northbounders and you won't be able to stand up in it after the level rises! (let along move forward)

My hiking partner "Party Animal" swam it at the white blazes in '89 after putting his pack in a garbage bag.

Footslogger
04-11-2005, 09:05
Wasn't on the list ...but I kinda liked crossing the Nantahala on the footbridge on my way over to get a big cheesburger during my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

Ridge
04-27-2005, 02:19
Wasn't on the list ...but I kinda liked crossing the Nantahala on the footbridge on my way over to get a big cheesburger during my thru in 2003.'Slogger
I just voted the Kennebec(he talks about almost having to swim it) for my hubby who is on the PCT now. But, I'ts wild you mention the NOC cause thats the first place I met him, and hiked to fontana with him, since beginning his 95 thruhike. I totally agree with you, and didn't think of it until reading your post. hikerwife

Askus3
04-27-2005, 04:48
My vote is for the West Branch of the Pleasant River near the Katahdin IronWorks Road. If you took the spur to Gulf Hagas, this vote would be a no contest! I can't imagine why this is not even a choice.

Jaybird
06-20-2005, 09:08
hey, i voted for the French Broad....you just gotta LOVE that name! :D

Patrickjd9
07-16-2005, 19:11
I like the Susquehenna river and enjoyed crossing it on foot for the first time in May.

ferryman
08-13-2005, 20:21
"Life without risk is no life at all" would have been the anthem for the eighties and maybe the nineties, but according to Florida Power and Light, which recently purchased all the hydro dams upriver and downriver at the Appalachian Trail, 88 million customers would have a hard time listening to the demands of some 1,300 hikers who cross the Kennebec River each year. Greed, profit or demands of clean-power hungry Americans, help turn the turbines above the Kennebec Crossing in a very green, eco-friendly, made in the USA, kind of way.
You would have a better chance of winning at Vegas than predicting when the river is high or low. For every one hiker hoofing thru Caratunk, there are over 1,000 rafters, kayakers, conoeists, boogey boarders, duckies, waterfall lovers, and bridge jumping visitors, who want high water 24 hours a day, There is only so much water to go around and Maine has more than it's fair share of clean, potable and abundant liquid gold. So if you decide to ford the Kennebec River, please do not listen to so called experts like WD (KOS) or LF (wing and a prayer). make the decision on your own and I will most gladly give your current up to date conditions and sound advice from working at the crossing over 3,500 days. "Respect is the rule" in my "high chance of drowning" neighborhood. Thanks for supporting the Kennebec River Ferry Service. Yours, Steve

MOWGLI
08-13-2005, 20:30
My favorite is not on the list. The Shenandoah in Harpers Ferry. "Almost Heaven - West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River."

Slimer
08-13-2005, 20:47
the Kennebec..........

Lone Wolf
08-13-2005, 20:49
Hey ferryman, have you ever crossed the Kennebec on foot?

ferryman
08-15-2005, 11:59
Yes, Lone Wolf, too many times to count. As soon as the river subsides in spring, I fill in the rocks where the ice has jammed to prevent potential foot and leg entrapments. I have to be familiar with the rock formations that change every year and one would only know that by spending 12 months a year on the banks of the Kennebec River. Yours, Steve

fiddlehead
08-15-2005, 23:31
As a whitewater paddler, i've found that most of the major rivers in the states post release schedules of dam releases through the AWA (American Whitewater Assoc.) It didn't take me long to find this site: http://www.mvpclub.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=107 of the Kennebec's release schedule.
Or here is another one with a phone no. and higher water release dates: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/810 here is some info from the above site: keep in mind that this is for the putin for whitewater kayaking and not the AT crossing. It would take longer to get down to the AT. Perhaps 4 hours???????? Steve?

The flow in this section is controled by Harris Dam, a hydro facility located 4 miles upstream from the put in. It takes approximately 1 hour for the release to reach Carry Brook. Call Central Maine Power Company at 207-672-4848 for release information. Use the gauge as reference only. This gives a good indication of recent daily release levels.

The Kennebec is a dam controlled river. An agreement worked out between the rafting, boating, and power company has guaranteed water on weekends. Normally you can expect 4800 cfs from 10 am until 2 pm but that can change depending on conditions. At times of drought the flows will remain at 4800 cfs but the duration can be cut back 2 hours (10am to 12 pm). Early in the season (May) flows may be higher (6000 cfs) and for longer durations.

There is normally two high water 8000cfs releases scheduled each year. This year (2004) there will be 4 (See below for dates). 8000cfs releases increase the overall didfficulty for the lower Kennebec to class III+. For the latest flow information call (800) 557-3569 Dial 5 for Kennebec.

2004 Kennebec High water releases (8000+ cfs)

Saturday June 19th Saturday, September 11thMonday, July 5th Saturday, September 25th

My question was that it would be nice if this could be posted (with the amount of time it takes for the release to get to the AT crossing?) on both sides of the river so that those who want to ford it on foot could do so. Unfortunately, Steve, you seem to want to tell people it is too dangerous. Why don't you allow us to make up or minds on that one? Perhaps many will think it's too dangerous simply because people have drowned there. But perhaps people are thinking of the PCT or CDT and want to practice their fording technique on the big stuff. No one wants you to stop ferrying people across. (at least i don't think so, and i certainly don't)
Now that i've forded it on foot, i know that if i'm southbound and can make it through the first 30', (with a safety line in case the release is there already) the rest is just long and cold but not deep. The problem is on the other side because it's a long way before you hit the deep part.
Do you mind at least telling us how long the release takes to get to the AT crossing?
That way we could maybe check the schedule in Stratton on the internet before we head up.

Freighttrain
08-16-2005, 00:18
the icey cold swollen rivers in Maine that the Sobo's hit in the spring ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-16-2005, 04:10
While you guys are discussing rivers, I'd like to ask a few questions.

I'm a section hiker with a bad leg / hip due to an auto accident in August 2004. Well over 90% of my bad falls while hiking since being injured have been from attempting to get to the water / back on dry land from the water or trying to cross swift creeks with slick rocks in knee to thigh deep water.

How challenging are these crossings? What alternative methods of crossing exist for rivers other than Kennebec? Is it acceptable for someone who cannot safely cross a river on foot to hike to the bank on one side and then to the bank on the other?

MOWGLI
08-16-2005, 06:46

I'm a section hiker with a bad leg / hip due to an auto accident in August 2004. Well over 90% of my bad falls while hiking since being injured have been from attempting to get to the water / back on dry land from the water or trying to cross swift creeks with slick rocks in knee to thigh deep water.

How challenging are these crossings? What alternative methods of crossing exist for rivers other than Kennebec? Is it acceptable for someone who cannot safely cross a river on foot to hike to the bank on one side and then to the bank on the other?

The only rivers that usually pose any problem in crossing by foot are located in Maine. Maine has virtually no bridges - largely because they get washed out in the spring anyway.

Regarding acceptable ways to cross, you get across anywhere you feel that it is safe. Sometimes that might mean walking .25 to .5 miles up or downstream. Don't worry about the white blazes or crossing at the "official" place. Cross where you feel safe, and preferably with a friend if this is difficult for you either psychologically or physically.

fiddlehead
08-17-2005, 00:49

How challenging are these crossings? What alternative methods of crossing exist for rivers other than Kennebec? Is it acceptable for someone who cannot safely cross a river on foot to hike to the bank on one side and then to the bank on the other? If i had your problems when crossing rivers, i think i would carry an extra pair of sneakers or running shoes to do those river crossings in and learn some techniques for fording like the one pole, three point stance in which one of the 3 moves at a time while facing upstream (this is the system i use when the streams are really treacherous) But if your whole problem is getting into or out of the water, perhaps you need to find a better spot to cross where it is a gentle slope in and out of the water. But of course it's acceptable (it's only up to you, who else?) to do whatever you have to do to get the job done.

Gonzo!
08-17-2005, 09:53
My question was that it would be nice if this could be posted (with the amount of time it takes for the release to get to the AT crossing?) on both sides of the river so that those who want to ford it on foot could do so.
I agree, sportsmen at the putin have the right to put their lives on the line as the water rises to fulfill their desire for outdoor adventure, why not allow the hiker to have the same choice? Does anyone know how many deaths are associated with canoeing, kayaking, etc. from that area. Maybe none, but what an interesting comparison it would be if there are a few.

fiddlehead
08-17-2005, 23:50
Ah, you seem to have the philosophy that "Really Living" is putting your life in danger. I never really looked at things that way except that i like the quote: "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"
I believe there have been a few kayak and canoeing deaths up stream on the Kennebec where there are some rapids. Around the AT crossing is pretty mellow for whitewater enthusiasts as it is only class 1 i believe.
I do remember a hiker drowining at the Kennebec AT crossing about 10-15 years ago.
My point was that if the current information, available to all on the internet, was posted at the river crossing. (With the estimated time that the rise in levels takes to get downriver to that point.), this woman would have possibly figured out that it was much to dangerous to cross at that time and waited for the ferryman.
I don't know the details of what happened that day.

TOW
09-30-2005, 06:11
I'm gonna go for the nolichucky since i'm a southern boy and i am looking at hot springs as my next move in the future, but up there in the 100 mile wilderness were some carry your pack over your head experiences that made the creek or river crossings adventorous

Cookerhiker
12-01-2005, 22:01
Maybe it's because I'm there so often but I never get tired of walking across the foot bridge affixed to the railroad trestle, watching the Potomac with its swift current met by the gentle Shenandoah. I've crossed it all 4 seasons. Early Spring is best with the Potomac roiling from the snowmelt of Western Maryland and Northern West Virginia. Harpers Ferry with its history on one side, the C&O canal with its wildlife on the other - can't beat it.

My only complaint is the spiral steps on the Maryland side make it a pain when carrying my bicycle!

Mouse
12-01-2005, 22:07
The Delaware, because home was right down the river. Yet bittersweet too, since up to then I had been getting closer and closer to home and afterwards I was traveling ever further away.

Hammock Hanger
12-01-2005, 22:20
I'll always remember the RIDE as I went down river on the Picaquist.

warren doyle
12-01-2005, 22:27
The Kennebec by foot. Energize and refresh me water of the Maine woods!

The Desperado
12-02-2005, 00:33
Well, being from "Joisey"...I gotta vote for the delaware....chuckle,chuckle
It is pretty high up on the list though-----you're outa the rocks & Pa!!!

Kerosene
12-02-2005, 11:06
Maybe it's because I'm there so often but I never get tired of walking across the foot bridge affixed to the railroad trestle, watching the Potomac with its swift current met by the gentle Shenandoah. My future wife and I ended her first and only backpacking trip from Duncannon to the Potomac in June 1979. At the time the AT crossed on the Sandy Hook Bridge, but we needed to get to Harpers Ferry in time to catch the train to D.C. After much debate we ended up jogging on the railroad trestle itself since there was no pedestrian bridge and they didn't have the railroad trestle fenced off. Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Cookerhiker
12-02-2005, 16:55
My future wife and I ended her first and only backpacking trip from Duncannon to the Potomac in June 1979. At the time the AT crossed on the Sandy Hook Bridge, but we needed to get to Harpers Ferry in time to catch the train to D.C. After much debate we ended up jogging on the railroad trestle itself since there was no pedestrian bridge and they didn't have the railroad trestle fenced off. Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

As I recall, there was a narrow wooden walkway besides the tracks on the trestle. I've been across it myself, fortunately not when trains happened by. Posted signs forbade crossing this way but we did it anyway.

Butch Cassidy
12-13-2005, 02:02
The Kennebec with big Eric on the paddle. All I had to do was sit and watch!!
The Paladin