PDA

View Full Version : in need of lightweight sunglasses?

jbsbestfan
05-25-2011, 08:05
Last week I tossed my laptop into the car and it landed square on my Maui Jim suglasses that I have had for 6 years. Wham....broken. Since I am doing a week long AT hike in the Roans and a week on the CT in August, I feel like I should replace them with another good polarized but maybe lighter pair of sunglasses. Any suggestions? I want glass lenses and polarized.

Jonnycat
05-25-2011, 08:46
I used to buy expensive ones, but they would always got lost or broken. I buy cheap plastic ones now and replace them when they get too scratched up to see.

My last pair lasted me a couple of years, and I just spent a whole $18.50 for a new pair. They're polarized, they float, and Bill Dance endorses them so they're good enough for me.

TallShark
05-25-2011, 21:20
Certain Mauis are awfully light, But not the glass lenses. I would say that I havent tried on a lighter pair than my makahas.

Blissful
05-25-2011, 21:30
Actually I never used sunglasses on any of my hikes. Btu I know I will need them in the snow this summer on the JMT

Dogwood
05-25-2011, 22:08
In need of lightweight sunglasses?

What, as compared to those really heavy ones? That's something I haven't tried yet, bringing my digital scale into where I might buy sunglasses to weigh them!

For hiking, I don't pay anything more than $30 tops for light wt polarized sunglasees usually made from something like polycarbonate lenses. I lose or break them too often to be taking expensive ones on hikes.

If anyone finds a pair of black Ray Ban Wayfarers in the bottom of the Escalante River in Escalante-Grand Staircase Monument they belong to me!

If anyone finds a pair of Oakley Monsters on a mossy rock in Acadia NP they belong to me!

aaronthebugbuffet
05-25-2011, 22:34
Steep and Cheap and the Clymb are always selling name brand sunglasses at a discount.
In the east I hardly ever take sunglasses, they just end up smashed in my pack most of the time.

CrumbSnatcher
05-25-2011, 22:42
go to a equipment rental place(saws,mixers,scaffolding.hardhat) type place.
they should have very light, strong and multiple designs. some weigh next to nothing

Doc Mike
05-26-2011, 08:12
Ace Hardware has safety sun glasses thats what I use hiking and on the Harley.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 10:49
um i use puggs there 8 bucks i just weighed them at 12.2 grams , and they are ok

Old Hiker
05-26-2011, 11:03
Wal-Mart sporting goods. I wear glasses full-time now, so I get the $10 Strike King clip ons. Before that, I used the $10-20 polarized sunglasses. You can also find them in the hardware dept sometimes as safety glasses.

Persistent
05-26-2011, 11:17
Check out Sport Eyz (http://www.sporteyz.com/). They are so light that they float on water, they're flexible, and pack down really small. Pretty reasonably priced as well at around $10 plus $3 for shipping.
I have no affiliation with them at all - I just think it is a good product.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 11:29
I would listen to persistant here thatss good info