PDA

View Full Version : History of Hikers Welcome Hostel

Jeff
05-25-2011, 09:59
What is the history of Hikers Welcome Hostel? I know Packrat owns it now. But I have read somewhere about an owner named Big John.

When did it open to hikers?

Grampie
05-25-2011, 10:04
I stayed there on my 2001 thru. At that time Big John was the owner of the property and Pack Rat ran the Hostel.

Sly
05-25-2011, 10:11
I'm not sure if Big John ever owned it. From their website...

The Hikers Welcome Hostel is nestled in the small village of Glencliff, at the base of Mount Moosilauke, at the beginning of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It was started in 1997 by Janet "Fancy Free" Clarke, who thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1996.
The hostel was then purchased by John "Packrat" Robblee in the year 2000, and has improved every year, to become one of the best hostels on the Appalachian Trail. It is a hostel for hikers, that is run by hikers, and is very rustic and inviting, with a down home feel.
Hikers will find everything that they need here including hot showers, laundry facilities, easy access to the post office,(across the street) high speed internet, the largest music and movie selection on the trail, and shuttles into town for resupply and a hot meal. :)
You will find a massive selection of fleece jackets, as well as other slightly used gear to help you complete your hike, as well as a wealth of information on hiking in the Whites, gear repair, etc.
We also offer a shuttle service for slackpacking, and transport to anywhere in the surrounding area.

http://hikerswelcome.com/Home_Page.html

Red Hat
05-25-2011, 19:08
wow, another "Miss Janet", lol.... good to know, thanks Sly. Last year when I arrived I felt like I was being welcomed at Cheers.... everyone yelled "Red Hat" and came to hug me. (well, everyone but Jack, that is...)