PDA

View Full Version : serious hiker alert

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 10:55
i called the cops on a hiker that was at back oven knob in pa , he is going by the name loan wolf , he said he had three warrents for his arrest , he said he was wanted for stealing and drugs and a parroll violation ,{ i cant spelll sorry } I did give him food and some gear before he told me this ....he has a sword and a meachette ....so yea I did call the cops and the amc , hes around 19 years old white guy 140 pounds , i hated calling the cops but i was worried cause he said he had warrents and he was bumming money and telling me how good he was at it ... Normally when i find poor ppl on the trail I help them and ask them to hike with me ...........so if you ever find a homeless hiker give them my e mail [email protected] I can and will help any one i can

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 11:57
Im sorry i cant type at all i meant to say he was at bake oven knob

sherrill
05-25-2011, 12:36
loan wolf

the yin to lone wolf's yang

Ender
05-25-2011, 12:38
loan wolf

the yin to lone wolf's yang

:) he he he

LoneRidgeRunner
05-25-2011, 13:31
i called the cops on a hiker that was at back oven knob in pa , he is going by the name loan wolf , he said he had three warrents for his arrest , he said he was wanted for stealing and drugs and a parroll violation ,{ i cant spelll sorry } I did give him food and some gear before he told me this ....he has a sword and a meachette ....so yea I did call the cops and the amc , hes around 19 years old white guy 140 pounds , i hated calling the cops but i was worried cause he said he had warrents and he was bumming money and telling me how good he was at it ... Normally when i find poor ppl on the trail I help them and ask them to hike with me ...........so if you ever find a homeless hiker give them my e mail [email protected] I can and will help any one i can

It takes a real idiot to tell a stranger he has warrants on him and one is for stealing, and one is for drugs and one for parole violation..and since he's obviously a repeat criminal, is mentally disturbed (bragging about his warrants) AND carrying a sword and a machete he really needs to be somewhere besides on the trail, or any where in public.. Good job on calling the cops..

LoneRidgeRunner
05-25-2011, 13:35
not to be confused with "Lone Wolf" of whiteblaze fame from Damascus, VA who is much older than 19 and probably heavier than 140 pounds and is a good dude...(don't agree with him on every thing but then who does agree with every one on all issues?) But he still isn't a criminal..

generoll
05-25-2011, 14:09
hmmm, has a familiar ring to it.

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 16:27
thank you for reading this , it worried my girlfriend alot , and worried me as well .
just to be clear it is not the loan wolf from damacus its a differnt one , im from abingdon va 11 miles or so away from there and i have heard great things about loan wolf from there .I posted this thread in hope that it would just give hikers a heads up

Also its ok to disagree at times

WingedMonkey
05-25-2011, 16:41
blah blah blah

kuhfuss
05-25-2011, 17:23
That's disappointing news. I shared the 501 Hilton with him 4/28-29. He was known then as "toast", but said he preferred "lone wolf" - an unfortunate choice given his nature. He appears to be distressed and is, apparently, drifting. Although I am skeptical of some of his claims (such as being an outlaw), I was cautious with my wallet. He is, more likely, an outcast. He said what he most needed was a hiking partner. He looked forlorn as he lay in his bunk in the morning while the rest of us were busy preparing our meals to get an early start on a long day. I also felt sorry for him and wished, in hindsight as I hiked, that I had found a way to 'reach out to him'. I hope he's well.

Toolshed
05-25-2011, 17:24
I can vouch for Medics Claims here..... This dispatch from our local hiking club...

I received this alert information from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and then aditional information from the National Park service.
Any members hiking on the Appalachian trail should be aware that there is a young male using the trail name "Lone Wolf" that has raised some alarm with hikers in our area and reportedly had a "disagreement" with the caretaker of the Eckville Hostel. Some out of state hikers encountered him recently in the Allentown Shelter and felt enough concern to contact the NPS. He is described as "dirty" and traveling with a large machete.
He has not hurt anyone to the best of the knowledge of the NPS and ATC but they are advising caution if he is encountered.
The US park ranger involved in this incident is requesting that he be contacted with an update on "Lone Wolf"'s location if you encounter him.
His contact numbers are:
Eric Barron
U.S. Park Ranger
Appalachian National Scenic Trail
304-535-5093 (office)

kuhfuss
05-25-2011, 17:50
Please feel free to contact me, Ranger Barron. Bill Kuhfuss 215-651-0488

Missadventure
05-25-2011, 18:05
interesting - I had stayed at the Mayor's House in Unionville NY last August, and the guys there were telling us that there had been an alert issued from NPS for a "hiker" calling himself "toast", and he had stolen gear from a few hikers, according to the report. If it is the same guy, then he's still evidently making the AT his hideaway.

Mizirlou
05-25-2011, 19:47
i called the cops on a hiker that was at back oven knob in pa... I did give him food and some gear ..he has a sword and a meachette...Normally when i find poor ppl on the trail I help them and ask them to hike with me ...I can and will help any one i can

Medic, hike your face off, have fun and thanks for taking action and posting info that keeps others safe.

(BTW, you’re OK in my book. Talking is good. Keep doing it. Thank you for your service.) :sun

Migrating Bird
05-25-2011, 20:10

Great job!: Trust your instincts, you are the only one there (and your GF) and it sounds like you have some sort of Social Work training. Best of luck on your hike and count this as one of positive experiences of hiking the AT. You may never know how much you may have help this person or others.

Thanks

M. Bird.

medic mullins
05-25-2011, 20:53
Guys i just heard a report that someone bought him gear , and he is still out there , so he was qustioned by the cops............why did he lie about being a out law ?

thanks guys for the nice words it really helped

what should i do here should i go back for him , i have some funds i can support him on the trail ,,,i feel like maybe god wants me to help ...

any ideas uys on how i can help him out ? safely

Lone Wolf
05-25-2011, 21:08
any ideas uys on how i can help him out ? safely

no cash. gear and food only

Blissful
05-25-2011, 21:34
I was warned of a "Toast" on my PA hike from two hikers that said he accosted them in their camp, waving his ax and was looking for money. The one hiker thought he was high on drugs. I heard he was staying then at Rausch Gap. Needless to say, I hiked on by that night. Supposedly he was headed to NJ to look for some kind of job, at least what the register said

Hooch
05-25-2011, 21:41
. . . .he is still out there. . . .i have some funds i can support him on the trail. . . .Why would you? He's already proven himself to be a liar, obviously. Crap on him. He's a grown man so he can pay his own way and hike his own hike.

Terraducky
05-25-2011, 21:56
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=347747

saw this today while browsing the journals in my area....big mention about this guy everyone is talking about....

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 09:00
welp heres the deal theres a old man I meet today , hes a vet , hes kind and hes hiking south , he said he will check on him and try to get him into a home of some sort

we have thought it out and for safety we are not going back for him cause of girl friend i must look out for her

I think the police should have put him in a mental unit for at least three days for a evaluation ...............im worried about him i think hes missing love and kindness in his life

HOWEVER I TRULY HATE PPL WHO BRAG ABOUT BUMMING MONEY AND THE FACT HE WAVING A WEAPON AROUND MAKES ME THINK HE NEEDS TO BE PUT IN A MENTAL HOME FOR A WHILE

Pedaling Fool
05-26-2011, 09:03
All the drama and soap opera BS is a little too much for me; I'd just do my hike.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 09:06
Also im re calling the cops , i want to find out why they did not pull him off for a mental evaluation in the state of depression hes in that could maake him scary and a threat

if he has bi polar likes he claiming and not on meds that can be really bad for the safty of other hikers he keeps telling ppl he needs tabacoo cause of his bi polar

i help everyone i can but im getting to piont with this bum that i feel like the amc should step in and take him out , he was in fine shape to get a job and save money then come on trail

ALSO WE SHOULD POST HIS PIC SO HIKERS KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Ender
05-26-2011, 09:43
Do not post his pic.

This is a person who the cops have clearly talked to and are aware of, but haven't seen necessary to do more. Let them deal with it at this point. He is, until convicted of something, an innocent. A simple notice to be aware in that area will do fine.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 10:17
ok ender thats sounds good to me ......i cant understand why he lied to us about having warrents though ..........and is it legeal to stay in a shelter for 2 weeks .. i honestly dont know i was just wondering

Cookerhiker
05-26-2011, 10:30
Also im re calling the cops , i want to find out why they did not pull him off for a mental evaluation in the state of depression hes in that could maake him scary and a threat

if he has bi polar likes he claiming and not on meds that can be really bad for the safty of other hikers he keeps telling ppl he needs tabacoo cause of his bi polar

i help everyone i can but im getting to piont with this bum that i feel like the amc should step in and take him out , he was in fine shape to get a job and save money then come on trail

ALSO WE SHOULD POST HIS PIC SO HIKERS KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR

The AMC? Do you mean the Appalachian Mountain Club which maintains part of the trail in NE PA? They're a private organization and as such, have no authority to "take him out."

Do not post his pic.

This is a person who the cops have clearly talked to and are aware of, but haven't seen necessary to do more. Let them deal with it at this point. He is, until convicted of something, an innocent. A simple notice to be aware in that area will do fine.

I know that no crime has occurred, no laws have been broken (apparently), and this individual appears disturbed.

But this is a tough call, especially if he has a weapon (machete) and makes sure everyone knows about it. Other hikers are obviously uncomfortable if not threatened when this guy shows up.

I encountered a similar situation in late '09 while camping at a BLM site in Wyoming near the Medicine Bow Range. No one else in the CG. This guy approached me as I was setting up my tent (in the darkness) and wanted to talk. Right away I was uncomfortable, especially when he talked about needing money and implying that I must be rich since I drove a Subaru (figure that one out!). All I wanted to do was pitch the tent and go to bed but he wouldn't let me. At one point, he grabbed me by the forearm. Although he was drunk (the liquor smell was palpable), he was much stonger than me.

So for an hour, I'm sitting listening him rant saying all he wanted was friends and someone to talk to. He actually burst out crying and then began profusely apologizing. On the one hand, I still felt quite threatened but OTOH, I also felt some compassion for a guy who obviously wasn't well. He never mentioned anything about a weapon but I kept wondering if he had one.

He finally left and went back to his campsite. I left tent, everything and bolted in the car. Called 911, the county sheriff responded pretty fast. On their way to the campsite, they encountered his motorcycle in a ditch and him walking in a daze. They didn't have a reason to arrest him until he flew into a rage and punched and kicked the deputy. So they took him to jail.

Turns out he had a record and was violating parole. He hadn't been able to hold a job, he had broken up with his girlfriend, and worst of all, his sister had been killed by a drunk driver who had gotten off on a technicality.

So yes, he was hurting and needed help. He was also a threat, as is this "Lone Wolf" or "Toast" guy. As I said, it's a tough call - you can't lock people up for anti-social behavior but I'd hate to see nothing happen until an innocent person is robbed, beaten, or worst yet, murdered.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 10:40
wow man he grabbed your arm

um when i called the cops i told them i saw lone wolf cutting down live trees is that a crime enough to fine him

also is it illegeal for him to stay for 2 weeks n one spot

mega82
05-26-2011, 11:01
wow man he grabbed your arm

um when i called the cops i told them i saw lone wolf cutting down live trees is that a crime enough to fine him

also is it illegeal for him to stay for 2 weeks n one spot

I'm confused as to who needs the evaluation

Jim Adams
05-26-2011, 11:39
I'm confused as to who needs the evaluation
So true!:eek:

Just hike on...he didn't harm you or your girlfriend, you have already warned other hikers and you have notified the authorities. Let it drop and just hike on. He may have raised your suspicions or YOU MAY BE PARANOID but he hasn't broken any laws or done anything to require a mental eval.....you on the other hand......
:-?
geek

kuhfuss
05-26-2011, 11:46
We met on the Trail, Blissful, (the night after you avoided him in Rausch Gap) where you told me about him. I think that reports about him are exaggerated.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 11:47
Um yea cutting down a live tree is against the law....but maybe u think we have trees out there to spare ....maybe you think its ok to cut down live trees ....hmmmm yea i think we need to protect our resources and its def agaINST THE LAW TO CUT DOWN 4 LIVE TREES IN FRONT OF ME AND 6 OTHER PPL yet i was the only one who asked him to stop doing it

mweinstone
05-26-2011, 14:21
im sending him my last 11 dollars and 2 eggs i feel so damm bad.thank god for medic.not.

Second Half
05-26-2011, 15:26
I day-hike into the Allentown shelter fairly often and saw this kid a couple times. He seemed nice enough and didn't act threatening to me or the other hikers at the shelter. One group took him into Allentown and helped him out with some gear. I encouraged him to move on, that he should be making miles rather than squatting at the shelter. Not having a pack cover he was worried his gear would get wet.

Yes, he made it a point to show me his machete but it wasn't in a threatening manner. He also showed me a pretty impressive rope handle he braided on his walking stick.

Basically he seemed lonely and was happy to talk. He asked if I was coming back the next day and could I please bring him a cheeseburger. (I did.) He didn't try to mooch anything else.

I say leave the kid alone. He's not harming anyone.

HikerMom58
05-26-2011, 16:02
Unbelievable!! My husband and I met "toast" almost a year ago at Woods Hole Hostle near Pearisburg VA. I am so damn mad at everyone on this site for belittling people who are trying to warn people about potentially dangerous people that are "living" on the trail. GET REAL PEOPLE....this guy was giving off strange vibs LAST YEAR. He did steal money at Woods Hole Hostle. The owners reported the theft to hostles "up the trail". He NEVER paid for his stay there to boot..... SERIOUSLY, do you want people on the trail that behave like this to get away with this behavior?????!!!!! Unfortunately, our laws don't protect us from guys like this BUT that doesn't mean and we shouldn't WARN people about HIM!! I think we should use ANY excuse we can to get him off the trail and get him the help he needs. If the "illness" was visible, we would urge him to get to a doctor right away but just b/c you can't SEE the problem doesn't mean it's not there!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS INFO ABOUT THIS YOUNG MAN!!

vamelungeon
05-26-2011, 16:27
Mental illness needs treatment just as much as a broken leg or an infection. It doesn't need to be ignored and it won't get better on it's own unfortunately. Those who think they are doing a kindness by ignoring it or enabling it really aren't.

moshi
05-26-2011, 16:48
Unbelievable!! My husband and I met "toast" almost a year ago at Woods Hole Hostle near Pearisburg VA. I am so damn mad at everyone on this site for belittling people who are trying to warn people about potentially dangerous people that are "living" on the trail. GET REAL PEOPLE....this guy was giving off strange vibs LAST YEAR. He did steal money at Woods Hole Hostle. The owners reported the theft to hostles "up the trail". He NEVER paid for his stay there to boot..... SERIOUSLY, do you want people on the trail that behave like this to get away with this behavior?????!!!!! Unfortunately, our laws don't protect us from guys like this BUT that doesn't mean and we shouldn't WARN people about HIM!! I think we should use ANY excuse we can to get him off the trail and get him the help he needs. If the "illness" was visible, we would urge him to get to a doctor right away but just b/c you can't SEE the problem doesn't mean it's not there!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS INFO ABOUT THIS YOUNG MAN!!

You must forgo logic and rational thought.

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:23
This is the funniest thing I've ever read in my life. R U GUYS SERIOUS?

You don't own the trail, this guys can walk around lying all day, it's a free country... leave him alone and go hiking. If you don;t feel comfortable hike another mile down the trail.

I can't stand people that call the cops on other people for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!

Maybe the person who is the real danger to others here is the OP since he's calling the cops on people who aren't doing anything violent or illegal.

SMSP
05-26-2011, 17:23
Plus 1 on advising all about this dude.

Negative on giving him money and such, fella needs to get off the trail, get himself some real help and be accountable for his legal issues. Giving him handouts will only give him negative reinforcement IMO.

SMSP

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:24
Plus 1 on advising all about this dude.

Negative on giving him money and such, fella needs to get off the trail, get himself some real help and be accountable for his legal issues. Giving him handouts will only give him negative reinforcement IMO.

SMSP

you make him sound like a stray dog....

some of you make me sick.

vamelungeon
05-26-2011, 17:25
This is the funniest thing I've ever read in my life. R U GUYS SERIOUS?

You don't own the trail, this guys can walk around lying all day, it's a free country... leave him alone and go hiking. If you don;t feel comfortable hike another mile down the trail.

I can't stand people that call the cops on other people for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!

Maybe the person who is the real danger to others here is the OP since he's calling the cops on people who aren't doing anything violent or illegal.
Read the original post again. HE said he was wanted for theft and parole violation. That would be ILLEGAL now wouldn't it?

nufsaid
05-26-2011, 17:30
This just makes me wonder whether it may in fact be prudent to take protection (without announcing it) when backpacking.

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:32
Read the original post again. HE said he was wanted for theft and parole violation. That would be ILLEGAL now wouldn't it?

That would also be NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! If he said he was wanted for murder or rape you have an argument. If he says he violated his parole who cares? There are 30 million people in this country in Jail or prison. The more that stay out the better.

As far as theft, its likely petty or a lie, nobody (crazy or not) brags about a REAL crime once they have gotten away with it.

nufsaid
05-26-2011, 17:35

I am not trying to jump to any conclusions about the OP.

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:36
This just makes me wonder whether it may in fact be prudent to take protection (without announcing it) when backpacking.

Maybe you should carry a machete!

nufsaid
05-26-2011, 17:37
I am not trying to jump to any conclusions about the OP.

Should have typed that I am TRYING NOT to jump to any conclusions about the OP.

nufsaid
05-26-2011, 17:39
Maybe you should carry a machete!

May be a bit hard to conceal.

SMSP
05-26-2011, 17:40
you make him sound like a stray dog....

some of you make me sick.

That probably works on stray dogs too.

SMSP

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:44

You frame you argument logically here.

If this original thread had said something along the lines of "shady hiker near shelter X" it would have sufficed.

Calling the cops, and then calling them again, and describing him as being something he isn't is completely absurd.

We have ALL at one time or another run into someone we thought was shady, the way this was/is being handled is ludicrous.

Leave the kid alone!!!!!!!! If he is this much of a concern for you get off your asses (thats for everyone and not just you) and help him.

mcskinney
05-26-2011, 17:46
That probably works on stray dogs too.

SMSP

since you don't care about other peoples feelings...

Go be fat somewhere else!

AndyB
05-26-2011, 17:52
the only thing I'd buy the guy is a bus ticket, if I wasn't going to do that I'd keep hiking. There's weirdos all over the place, the AT is no exception. No point in enabling his squatting though

SMSP
05-26-2011, 17:58
Hmm, well, parole violators matter to me. A parolee is let out early with the agreement of certain conditions. Parolee does not keep their end of the deal, then they need to be held accountable. One does the crime (petty or not), one does the time and/or face the consequences.

SMSP

SMSP
05-26-2011, 18:02
since you don't care about other peoples feelings...

Go be fat somewhere else!

What Irony, you assume I dont care about someone's "feelings", but yet you say something like, "Go be fat somewhere else!" Although it doesnt hurt my feelings, that could be hurtful to someone else.

Surely, we can be civil in a simple discussion? Apparently some can not.

SMSP