PDA

View Full Version : taking gear with you on a train

UCONNMike
01-29-2005, 17:26
Do the poeple on the train make a big deal outta hikers taking ther gear as a carry on? I dont exactley feel comfortable having the gear that will be my life for the next four months in the hands of some train luggage guy. do they let you bring your pack and trekking poels as a carry on?

cupcake
01-29-2005, 17:33
i've ridden the train between raleigh and charlotte n.c. many times. i usually travel light and take my luggage with me onboard. i have checked it too. just check with the train people. it's kinda like riding a bus, but with the space of 1st class on a plane ---- spacious, and with a rack overhead for luggage, etc.

rocket04
01-29-2005, 18:13
I'd assume it would be OK on a train. I used to take Amtrak when I was in college to go back to Canada and I had to take all my stuff from the dorms. So I've taken suitcases on board without a problem, and I doubt it would be different with a backpack. Just make sure you check ahead of time.

ezdoesit
01-29-2005, 22:23
Used Amtrak the last three years and never had any trouble what so ever taking mu gear on board. One thing I don't like to do is check it some where -where I can't see my gear. :)

Moose2001
01-29-2005, 22:57
Mike...I've taken the train from NYC to Gainesville twice. Carrying your pack on is no problem. There are overhead storage compartments above the seat. They are bigger than airline compartments. You're allowed to carry on more baggage than on the airline. Your pack will fit nicely in the overhead compartments.

Not a bad way to get to the trail. Not very expensive and you're not seperated from your pack. It is a bit of a long trip. I think the train leaves NYC about 2 PM and gets into Gainesville about 7:30 AM. There are always cabs waiting at the train station if you don't have a shuttle arranged. I'd also suggest carrying on some snacks and maybe somthing for dinner. There is a dining car but it's a bit on the pricey side. The snack car has some stuff but, again, it's pricey and kind of limited. Penn Station has a good selection of stuff you can buy and carry on. I started the trip of on the right foot by pigging on pizza on the way down. My first of many on the journey back North.

Good Luck!

hikerjohnd
01-29-2005, 23:02
You might want to check out this thread...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6841&highlight=amtrack

Mags
01-31-2005, 12:40
I took the train from Raton, NM to San Diego in 2002 when I did teh PCT (had to take a bus from Denver to Raton, NM).

Anyway, I carried my whole pack on as carry-on. Even with the stricter regs, suspect it would still work. You will have to collapse any hiking poles and probably stow them in the pack.

My train ride was over night but the seats went back quite a bit. Pulled out my sleeping bag and caught a nice nap. Much better than when I took the Greyhound from Providence, RI to Atlanta when I did the AT! :)

I do suggest reading the other thread mentioned. Sgt. Rock's idea of an Army duffle bag with the gear inside would work well. Just mail the duffle back when you get to your connection. It is what I did when I did the AT. My gear was in aduffle bag. Even for regular travel, I carry my clothing in a duffle bag. Not very expensive, strong, sticks out quite nicely in baggage claim. [1]

Mags

[1] Well, most of the time. Two years ago I flew into Baltimore-Washington International. I have a short buzz cut. Anyway, I am standing by the doors waiting for my ride, duffle bag by my side. Nearby, an Army Reserve or Army Guard unit was getting ready to deploy somwhere. (Iraq? Drills?). Many carts were full of olive drab green duffles of one type of another. A grandmotherly type of woman looked at me, looked at the all the OD green, looked at me again and looked at the luggage. She approached me and asked with a grandmotherly voice to suit her grandmotherly looks and said "Are you going to Iraq?"
She looked very relived when I said "Nope. Just have the haircut and the duffel". She looked very relived and said "Good". She then walked away. My ride came shortly thereafter.

Haiku
02-04-2005, 00:45
I took Amtrak from Boston to Dalonegha, GA. I was able to carry on my pack complete with hiking poles and denatured alcohol. Try that with an airplane, hah! It never left my sight, just above me in the luggage rack. Of course, it also took nearly 24 hours on the train, but I still think it was worth it.

Haiku.