PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike ideas for North Carolina

TAMPA LEO
05-25-2011, 15:12
My son and I have never hiked on the trail and would like to know if anyone could suggest a 3 day hike for us. We have relatives in Asheville that will be shuttling us so the closer the start or end to there the better. We are coming up in August.

About how far can a novice hiker do on average on that part of the trail?

4dogHiker
05-25-2011, 16:18
Max Patch to Sams Gap

Bootstrap
05-25-2011, 17:11
Max Patch to Sams Gap

Or Hughes Gap to 19E (get a shuttle at Mountain Harbour Bed and Breakfast).

doritotex
05-25-2011, 17:13
Max Patch to Sams Gap
That's 65 miles, I doubt a novice hiker could do that in 3 days. Maybe Davenport Gap to Hot Springs would be better, 35 miles in 3 days. Ten or 12 miles a day might be ok for a novice hiker if they were in shape. You could still experience Max Patch along the way!

brian039
05-25-2011, 18:01
Newfound Gap to Standing Bear Farm.

HikingProf
05-25-2011, 18:07
Winding Stair Gap to NOC. Lots of stunning balds.

Seawoods
05-25-2011, 18:19
I just did the same thing a month ago. We parked at Standing Indian Campground outside Franklin, and walked up to the AT on the Kimsey Creek Trail. From there the AT loops around the Standing Indian area. We hiked around to the Long Branch Trail which leads right back to the car. No need for a shuttle, and the car is ready to go when you are. We got done a little early on day 3 but I thought it was a good introduction.

mb3229
05-25-2011, 22:27
Ditto on Winding Stair to NOC. And NOC will let you leave a vehicle in their lot. Just check with the outfitters store before you leave.

chelko
05-26-2011, 09:31
I like the Standing Indian Loop for novices. Great into to the trail.

bigcranky
05-26-2011, 12:10
+1 on the Standing Indian Loop. It's 24 miles, perfect for a 2-night beginner hike.

Park at the trailhead parking area at Standing Indian Campground, just off US 64 about 12 miles west of Franklin, NC. The loop is the AT plus a couple of side trails. I would do it clockwise, coming back down from Deep Gap on the Kimsey Creek Trail on the last day. There are several places to get up to the trail, I think Long Creek (?) is the closest.

daddytwosticks
05-26-2011, 15:47
Great hike. I'm doing this counterclockwise tomorrow and Saturday. :)

TAMPA LEO
06-12-2011, 16:19
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think we want to do the Davenport Gap to Hot Springs and will most likely park at Big Creek Ranger Station. How would i go about getting transportation back from Hot Springs to the ranger station? Are there any shuttle services or should i just post a message on this site to see if anyone can do that for us?

Not sure how this all works since this will be my first time doing any overnight trail hiking.

Shooting Star
06-12-2011, 16:44
The Bluff Mtn Outfitters shop in Hot Springs can arrange shuttles for
you. You could even leave your car in Hot Springs and get dropped off
at Davenport Gap. This is a nice section of trail. Northbound, you have
a big climb up Snowbird Mtn (before Max Patch), but the rest is just
typical ups and downs. Max Patch is awesome on a clear day. Hot Springs
is less than a 45 min drive from Asheville.

brian039
06-13-2011, 01:23
The Bluff Mtn Outfitters shop in Hot Springs can arrange shuttles for
you. You could even leave your car in Hot Springs and get dropped off
at Davenport Gap. This is a nice section of trail. Northbound, you have
a big climb up Snowbird Mtn (before Max Patch), but the rest is just
typical ups and downs. Max Patch is awesome on a clear day. Hot Springs
is less than a 45 min drive from Asheville.

That's the best way to do it. That way you just walk to your car and have all the logistics taken care of and nothing to worry about on your hike. That's a really nice hike too!

TAMPA LEO
06-13-2011, 09:01
Thanks to all that have posted replies. I am going to take the recommendations and park at Hot Springs and get a shuttle to Davenport.