PDA

View Full Version : Do we need better signs?

moldy
05-25-2011, 17:16
One of the things that always bugs be has to do with signs. Did you ever notice that they always have a nice big sign that lets you know that you are now entering sombody's political area like, National Forest or Trail Club jurisdiction, etc. or how far it is to some dirt road. When it comes to information that hikers need they have no signs. How about a sign to tell me where the next water might be or the next shelter or camping area? How about a sign that tells you where you are? You stand there in what you think is a place marked on all the maps as "rottencrotch Gap" but they have no signs. How about putting a few signs out in the middle of those long ridges that tells you where you are?

Two Speed
05-25-2011, 17:47
Great idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing all those new signs you're gonna put out on the trail!

rsjrny
05-25-2011, 18:14
it's the wilderness, not Interstate 95. Why would you want to clutter the trail with signs? A map will tell you where you are.

imho

LoneRidgeRunner
05-25-2011, 18:41
it's the wilderness, not Interstate 95. Why would you want to clutter the trail with signs? A map will tell you where you are.

imho

amen......

Cookerhiker
05-25-2011, 18:51
There's plenty of signs throughout the Trail. Signage is more frequent is some parts of the Trail than others but I don't see a pressing issue here.

Now if it's because ultralight hikers want to be spared the onerous weight of carrying a map (let alone guidebooks and/or GPS), then by all means, let's have more signs.:rolleyes:

chiefiepoo
05-25-2011, 19:09
Georgia does a good job of giving hikers a sense of where you are along the trail. But I'm still pondering what the " Swag of the Blue Ridge" sign is all about.

Deadeye
05-25-2011, 20:47

imho

ayup +1 and then some

Carl in FL
05-25-2011, 20:59
We could build little barcodes into the individual blazes, and then when you swipe your iPhone by, it pulls up the.... Oh never mind.

Cookerhiker
05-25-2011, 21:02
...... Oh never mind.

Yeah, good idea.;)

Lone Wolf
05-25-2011, 21:04
One of the things that always bugs be has to do with signs. Did you ever notice that they always have a nice big sign that lets you know that you are now entering sombody's political area like, National Forest or Trail Club jurisdiction, etc. or how far it is to some dirt road. When it comes to information that hikers need they have no signs. How about a sign to tell me where the next water might be or the next shelter or camping area? How about a sign that tells you where you are? You stand there in what you think is a place marked on all the maps as "rottencrotch Gap" but they have no signs. How about putting a few signs out in the middle of those long ridges that tells you where you are?

got me 16,000 plus AT miles and i never needed/counted on no stinkin' signs. it's walkin' is all

gunner76
05-25-2011, 21:20
Yup, we need more signs, important signs like how far to the next cashe of trail magic or AYCE or rodent free shelter, important stuff like that.

Blissful
05-25-2011, 21:44
Maybe more of those lovely cement posts like in SNP

:) :)

Razor
05-25-2011, 23:49
Its just hiking. Go take a hike!

Wise Old Owl
05-25-2011, 23:57
Here's Your Sign!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/entry.jpg

ChinMusic
05-26-2011, 00:12
Just change the indicator every 2 innings.

brian039
05-26-2011, 00:12

These books tell you of nearly every twist and turn in the trail: https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1

You can estimate approximately where you are by knowing what you're hiking speed is and how much time has passed since your last landmark. Distance = speed X time

Tinker
05-26-2011, 00:44
Signs at trail junctions indicating where water, camping and other amenities available primarily to hikers are enough (sometimes more than enough). Occasionally a side trail with an outstanding view may deserve a sign as well as gaps and peaks, but even that may be overdoing it. If you have a map and compass (compass optional most places) and can use it (them) properly, you probably could get by without any signs whatsoever (though I'm still in favor of them, especially in the rain when I don't feel like digging out my map).

Toli
05-26-2011, 01:25
Here's Your Sign!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/entry.jpg

Dogs Are Not Allowed??? SERIOUSLY??? You don't even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootise Roll Pop :-?...

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 07:30
signs that simply state "You Are Here" should replace every blaze.

daddytwosticks
05-26-2011, 07:32
If it's a wooden sign, some yahoo will tear it down and use it to fuel his/her campfire. :)

10-K
05-26-2011, 07:44
I wonder if we could add those little solar-powered lights to existing signs....

Old Hiker
05-26-2011, 07:54
Just change the indicator every 2 innings.

You don't have to wait for the "Change Indicator" light to come on at the end of the quarter? :confused:

Doc Mike
05-26-2011, 07:58
Ok I have it a combo.
Indivdual bar codes in each blaze with the following info incoded:
Distance to katadin/springer depending in which way your going.
distance to next shelter
last count of mice population at next shlter
gistance to next water source
last count of dogs in water source
distance to next vista
average number of day hikers at next vista

Each blaze should then have a solar powered light so it can be read by your iphone at night.

I am currently working on the app for the iphone that will read above and calculate miles traveled, rate last hour last day, week, and month. Along with calories burned and a complimentary meal plan for upcoming sections. And for an added fee a personal shopper who will pick up your meal plan and meet you at the trail.

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 08:04
this needs to be moved to the humor thread immediately.Imagine something ala I-95's "south of the border" signs.

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 08:12
every once in a while Ive found myself in a situation where I had absolutely no idea where I was.and I liked it.

Cookerhiker
05-26-2011, 08:21
Ok I have it a combo.
Indivdual bar codes in each blaze with the following info incoded:
....last count of mice population at next shelter
....last count of dogs in water source
....average number of day hikers at next vista

This info entails the need for real-time updates. To prevent GIGO and ensure data integrity, all hikers are obligated to provide updates on the above statistics every time they check into a shelter, water source, and vista.

Of course, thru-hikers are exempt from this requirement because they're special.:rolleyes:

Two Speed
05-26-2011, 08:29
this needs to be moved to the humor thread immediately . . . Best idea on this thread so far. :cool:

Tennessee Viking
05-26-2011, 08:54
My section will have signs at most major trailheads with mileage to the next road crossing, shelter, or geographic point.

But once you enter a section, then no reason to have signs. If you are one that would like to know were you are exactly, carry a map.

skooch
05-26-2011, 08:59
And the sign said "Long-haired Freaky People Need Not Apply" .......Woah sign sign everywhere a sign blockin out the scene'ry breakin my mind. do this don't do that can't you read the sign?......... 5 Man Electric Band 1971

Trail Bug
05-26-2011, 09:16
I like the way PA marks the trail at road crossings. Sure makes it a lot easier to locate a parking area.

Jim Adams
05-26-2011, 09:21
the AT has tons of signs....check out the PCT.

geek

LIhikers
05-27-2011, 10:30
moldy said....."
One of the things that always bugs be has to do with signs. Did you ever notice that they always have a nice big sign that lets you know that you are now entering sombody's political area like, National Forest or Trail Club jurisdiction, etc. or how far it is to some dirt road. When it comes to information that hikers need they have no signs. How about a sign to tell me where the next water might be or the next shelter or camping area? How about a sign that tells you where you are? You stand there in what you think is a place marked on all the maps as "rottencrotch Gap" but they have no signs. How about putting a few signs out in the middle of those long ridges that tells you where you are?"

moldy
Let me suggest you stop thinking in terms of "they" and start thinking in terms like I and me. Join a trail maintenance club, get involved, and help turn the trail into what you think it should be. I'm sure THEY would be glad to have your help :)

Mags
05-27-2011, 10:43
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/original/3518.jpg

Driver8
05-27-2011, 10:58
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/original/3518.jpg

Like this sign!

ShelterLeopard
05-27-2011, 11:04

imho

plus 1 on that. Learn to use a map!

sherrill
05-27-2011, 11:09
All you need to remember is to take a right at the rock that looks like a bear, and a left at the bear that looks like a rock.

hikerboy57
05-27-2011, 11:10
As Mike Brady said"wherever you go, there you are"

Rain Man
05-27-2011, 11:49
Moldy, I agree with you. My pet peeve is guide books and maps that give a name to some place, but on the trail itself, there's no way on earth to tell just where said place might be. Not to mention, often conditions have changed. I run across lots of "views" that no longer have any view at all, due to tree growth. Worse is when the guide books and maps don't correspond or correlate. A landmark on one should be on the other, and vice versa, at least if they are published by the same entity. Why give me a useless name to begin with?

And yes, volunteering is part of the answer.

Rain:sunMan

Old Hiker
05-27-2011, 11:57
every once in a while Ive found myself in a situation where I had absolutely no idea where I was.and I liked it.

*sigh*. That seems to be my entire existence to date. Except for liking it.

johnnybgood
05-27-2011, 17:20
That's why map skills need to be honed sometimes , to keep from getting lazy.

kanga
05-27-2011, 17:37
it's called a map..

hikerboy57
05-27-2011, 17:47
the AT maps, and most guidebooks will tell you where to find water, and although I havent hiked the whole AT yet, Ive section hiked most of the northern half, and frequently , there have been signs indicating a water source. If you're looking for locations with historical significance, then you can research the area on line and then mark those locations you want to see on your maps. With all the time spent on WB, there are plenty of internet sources to get the info you need.I cant see a need for more signs.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-27-2011, 17:51
All you need to remember is to take a right at the rock that looks like a bear, and a left at the bear that looks like a rock.

maybe we still need a sign to recognize said rock and bear?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:signs...PHOEEY... if anyone needs billboards all over the place do your hiking on a major interstate highway..

Carl in FL
05-27-2011, 18:53
Some people, especially those new to the trail, need reassurance they are on the
right track. A GPS might be a good answer for them, it lets them know exactly where
they are, without cluttering up the beauty with extraneous signage for the
experienced. Unless, of course, they get lost.

Panzer1
05-27-2011, 19:19
A GPS might be a good answer for them, it lets them know exactly where they are, without cluttering up the beauty with extraneous signage for the experienced.

Then put the extra signs electronically on the GPS.

Panzer

Carl in FL
05-27-2011, 20:09
Then put the extra signs electronically on the GPS.

Exactly what I was getting at.

Dear iPhone User,

You are at mile marker 1031.24, there is water 255' to the left, a great 360
view 158' uphill to the right, and you are standing in sumac. Have a nice day.

kanga
05-27-2011, 20:59
make sure you take your SPOT with you

Skidsteer
05-27-2011, 21:37

Like.......

ChinMusic
05-27-2011, 23:57
Exactly what I was getting at.

Dear iPhone User,

You are at mile marker 1031.24, there is water 255' to the left, a great 360
view 158' uphill to the right, and you are standing in sumac. Have a nice day.
Mine pretty much does that........

Carl in FL
05-28-2011, 11:07
I ordered the DVD from AT-TOPO yesterday, so I am thinking mine will pretty
much soon do that too. Those topo maps will also tell me when I am climbing
uphill, which is handy to know. Anything over 3500' I need to turn up the
oxygen flow.

10-K
05-28-2011, 11:46
I always thought it'd be pretty neat to have a trail map on the wall of shelters every so often.

gunner76
05-29-2011, 13:37
A printed map is the analog version of a gps

Carl in FL
05-29-2011, 13:53
I always thought it'd be pretty neat to have a trail map on the wall of shelters every so often.

Perhaps something that would range from the next shelter NOBO to the
next shelter SOBO. Something mostly topo oriented but with road and/or
trail crossings, water, other helpful features.

That sounds like a very good idea, 10-K. It's the sort of project I'd be
willing to work on. Getting the maps standardized, scaled and printed out,
and then either laminated (would that last?) or behind plexiglass and hung
on an interior wall.

Or this is just too controversial?

hikerboy57
05-29-2011, 14:01
heres an idea. anyone carrying the trail companion, or other guidebook, leave the used pages(that I would tear out anyway)inside the next shelter, maybe insert it inside the trail register. no new signs, recycle the guide, NOBOS leave for the SOBOs and vice versa.

lilricky
05-29-2011, 14:09
Actually, there is a solution for adding info about the trail ahead without having to add signs to the trail. Simply have the trail clubs put info such as distance to next shelter, next water, next town, etc. into the first page of the shelter journals.

Phreak
05-29-2011, 14:46
we could build little barcodes into the individual blazes, and then when you swipe your iphone by, it pulls up the.... Oh never mind.
...lmao...

Deadeye
05-29-2011, 22:16
Perhaps something that would range from the next shelter NOBO to the
next shelter SOBO. Something mostly topo oriented but with road and/or
trail crossings, water, other helpful features.

That sounds like a very good idea, 10-K. It's the sort of project I'd be
willing to work on. Getting the maps standardized, scaled and printed out,
and then either laminated (would that last?) or behind plexiglass and hung
on an interior wall.

Or this is just too controversial?

They would disappear within a week.

How about a little self-reliance? Bring your own maps, bring a guide if you think you need it, bring your wits and your balls and go hiking, and don't expect anyone else to point you in the right direction.