PDA

View Full Version : spork vs spoon

cupcake
01-29-2005, 18:20
which do you prefer and why? i carried a spoon before, though the only way to eat noodles with a spoon is to cut them against the side of your pot. i had a soupy dinner tonight with a spork, which doesn't hold much liquid in its perforated bowl. by the way, i'm refering to a lexan spoon and a snowpeak ti spork. thanks.

SGT Rock
01-29-2005, 18:42
Spoon. My experience with sporks is they make lousy forks and lousy spoons. You could get some bamboo chopsticks and do the Chinese noodle thing.

MadAussieInLondon
01-29-2005, 19:08
the only noodles i took was the american 'ramen' which I crushed up before putting it in the pot so everything is the size for a spoonfull.. makes storage easier to, crush a few blocks into a ziplock...

now, if i carried real ramen noodles, such as an udon or a soba no way Id crush it, probably slurp from the pot using spoon.

sporks are dangerous to toungues when trying to use as spoons, and you never get enough liquid onto the spork...

spoon it.

ocourse
01-29-2005, 19:30
I use a spoon. But a spork is nice if you are eating trout.

mdjeeper
01-29-2005, 19:34
I just use a regular fork, and dont carry a spoon at all.

java
01-29-2005, 20:24
I'm all for sporks, some might consider me a spork devotee. Also, I don't eat ramen so I don't need a spoon, most of my trail meals are of the Lipton or Mac & Cheese variety.

TDale
01-29-2005, 21:15
Lexan spoon. Sporks and freezer bag cooking do not mix.

Now, if we're talkin trout trips...plates, knives, and forks and a nice gewurtraminer.

cupcake
01-29-2005, 23:51
are we pairing wines w/ utensils? i'll have a syrah with my spoon ....

saimyoji
01-30-2005, 01:02
Do you carry a knife? You can make chopsticks. Just whittle down some twigs. Keep the same ones for a while, or make new ones as needed. On a thru you may not want to be bothered to find the wood and whittle, though while your pot boils you'd have a few minutes.

Timberwolf
01-30-2005, 02:09
Come on, how often do we get to use a spork and have a legitimate excuse like hiking to do so. Sure it is just another type of a shovel with the purpose to feed ones self, but cmon Man! Sporks are fun! I think I'll name my spork. Something like Excalibur or whats Lion-O of the Thundercats sword called........Oh yea, The Sword of Omens. What are some other good names ......hmmmmmmmm?:jump

neo
01-30-2005, 02:32
i carry a snowpeak spork,they are great:sun neo

Palmer
01-30-2005, 09:22
I love my ti spork. Not because it's a great eating utensil, but because it's a titanium spork! If I wanted to eat more efficiently, I'd probably carry a lexan fork and spoon. But I'd still carry my ti spork just to have it with me.

Peaks
01-30-2005, 09:28
Gee, maybe this should be a poll.

Anyway, a spoon is lighter and cheaper than a spork. That makes it a no-brainer decision for me.

oldfivetango
01-30-2005, 09:33
One of the expesive items that has retired (along with my optimus 123r stove)
is my titaniim spork.Makes a lousy spoon for eating grits and/or oatmeal and i
am not cooking meat that needs forking.Its a lousy noodle fork as well-so-
a lexan spoon fork and knife(for spreading peanut butter) works just fine unless you happen to be a gram weenie.
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse

SGT Rock
01-30-2005, 11:42
Hey, I really am serious about chopsticks. If you have ever eaten with them you know how useful they could be. Just get a couple of bamboo ones at a Chinese restaurant for free and clean them regularly you should be fine. I weighed a set and they are something like 2 grams.

Of course you could get some Ti tent stakes and use them for chopsticks and tent stakes, but make sure you clean them ;)

Kerosene
01-30-2005, 11:59
Lexan spork. The tines on the spork are so small that they don't get in the way of eating the soft stuff, and my spork is almost the size of a soup spoon.

PKH
01-30-2005, 12:08
Spork, 'cause it works.

Cheers,

PKH

gardenville
01-30-2005, 13:41
Last Sep 2004 I decided to make a Titanium spoon/spork. I posted a question asking "what would you change about the spork if you could"? From those answers I made 2 Titanium spoons. One short and one longer.

They weigh [short spoon .21oz. and long spoon .29oz.].

I have posted a few pictures of them in my Gallery. I like the longer one of the two and use it a lot. The material was scrap left over from my Titanium/Carbon Fiber External Pack Frame.

food
01-30-2005, 14:03
Metal spoons or forks act like a heat sink and steal warmth from the drink or food. Metal also limits eating from the bag.

The company that sells Permaware sporks for 65 cents charges an outrageous amount for freight. I bought enough to get the unit price below $1.00. I take a couple extra along when I hike with the local hiking club. I give one to anyone that asks about the one I am using.

peter_pan
01-30-2005, 14:57
Ditto Peaks ...................spoons (esp Tea spoons) are lighter and cheaper...no brainer.

spoons don't poke holes in baggies.

Also it is easier to carve a quick fork, if need, from a forked stick than to carve a spoon.

SGT Rock
01-30-2005, 15:09
Carving a stick! Cool idea :D

Nameless
01-31-2005, 08:11
Fork all the way, would never dream of less

Jaybird
01-31-2005, 08:41
SPORKSPORKSPORK!

i'm a member of the AMERICANSPORKSOCIETY.

FEAR THE SPORK!

flyfisher
01-31-2005, 11:05
Hey, I really am serious about chopsticks. If you have ever eaten with them you know how useful they could be. Just get a couple of bamboo ones at a Chinese restaurant for free and clean them regularly you should be fine. I weighed a set and they are something like 2 grams.

Chopsticks work great for both cooking and eating. I have to admit that I use a short stainless steel spoon that fits in my pot. I broke too many plastic and lexan ones.

c.coyle
01-31-2005, 11:50
Gee, maybe this should be a poll.

OK. Do you prefer a three-pronged or four-pronged spork? :-?

Anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Bart joins the Boy Scouts and gets a pocket knife with a spork?

PKH
01-31-2005, 14:43
Well no, but I want that pocket knife . . . . . . . . NOW!!

TDale
01-31-2005, 14:51
I was gifted two of those knives with fork and spoon.

Sleepy the Arab
01-31-2005, 18:50
If I can't use my spoon and if I can't use my fingers, than it ain't food.

And "spork" just sounds stupid.

The Old Fhart
01-31-2005, 19:23
Sleepy, Can you imagine telling someone to go spork themselves? Just doesn't have that ring to it. :D

LIhikers
02-02-2005, 09:23
Lexan spoon for me