PDA

View Full Version : Staying Warm While Hanging

conburn
05-25-2011, 23:09
Hello everybody! I'm new to backpacking (only been on a few weekend trips on the Ice Age trail in Wisconsin) I bought a Hennessy ultralite at trail days recently and I'm really happy with it. I have a 20 degree rei subkilo and on a high 40's low 50's night I was cold along my spine. I did not bring my sleeping pad, however, I feel that I definitely need something more for a march 1st- 15th start date (2012). I realize that the down underneath me is compressed and rendered almost useless so....An under quilt maybe? I went to hammockgear.com and found out they are really expensive (around 215).... should I return my sleeping bag and just go with that and a sleeping pad? Is there anyone that has the a sym ultralight velcro or similar who has used it around freezing? If so what kind of set up do you have? Any insight to this would really help me out! My thanks and appreciation in advance.

Amanita
05-25-2011, 23:20
Background: I have a HH scout and have taken it down to about 20F with a ridgerest and a 15 degree synthetic bag.

I used a closed cell pad, the ridgerest, in my HH and found it to work out well. I have not tried underquilts or an inflatable in a hammock. Having a traditional pad also gave me the flexibility to stay in shelters when I so chose.

Many people consider down's "compressibility" to be a major advantage over synthetics. What is often overlooked is that the lack of compressibility in synthetics makes them less prone to cold spots if some part of you leaves the pad or touches the side of your tent/hammock. In a synthetic bag I can use a 3/4 pad, in a down bag I need a full length pad. YMMV

Short: Yes, you need under insulation. Try a ridgerest, z-rest, or cheap walmart pad.

singing wind
05-25-2011, 23:32
Hi - I've had a similar experience with hammocks, even when using a foam sleeping pad in the hammock for insulation. And BTW, not all foam pads are created equal when it comes to keeping you warm in a hammock!

Wind, even a light one, can be a factor as well. Have you tried hammock forums? I learned quite alot over there when I was a newbie hammocker. All the best with your planning.

BigHodag
05-25-2011, 23:34
1) use a pad. I use a cheap Walmart blue closed cell foam pad. Trim the corners off to save weight and improve fit to hammocks natural taper.

2) Flip your bag upside down. I use my cheap 40F bag as a overquilt. Stick my feet in the box and tuck the excess along the sides under the pad. Have slept warm down to 40F and below.

3) Wear more clothes. You can squeeze a few more degrees out by sleeping in all/most of your clothes. Recently had to deal with colder temps than anticipated. Slept in my long pants and wind shirt, puffy layet, and dri-ducks rainsuit. Had to unzip the dri-ducks at o'dark-thirty as I was getting too hot & moist.

You'll find all the hammock advice you need or seek at www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net/)

Tinker
05-26-2011, 00:56
I looked at this product: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm
Liked the idea and borrowed it, but I use a sleeping bag with a foot vent and slide it over the hammock before hanging it. The most important thing is to make sure that the insulation snugs right up to your backside, because dead air spaces between body and down become cold air spaces. Same holds true for underquilts.
Here's a pic of me in my hammock:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dsc01457_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&c=member&imageuser=2502)

Buffalo Skipper
05-26-2011, 10:56
If cost is your biggest concern, then your #1 option is a good pad. If you are willing to spend more, but don't want to jump into a $200+ down underquilt, then consider synthetic. There are 2 which stick out in my mind.

1) Kick Ass Quilt (KAQ) from Arrowhead Equipment. Paul has a great variety of quilts in varying lengths made with 6 oz Climashield. These will keep you warm to 30° or below. Total weight of these are just about 20 oz. Supplement with a space blanket to get down into the low 20s.

2) Molly McGear quilts from Tree to Tree Trail Gear. These made with Insultex (IX). Look at the Orca (full length) or Baby Orca (¾ length) and add cheap inserts which can be layered to give a lower rating.

I would take the time to research both of these on Hammockforums.net before jumping into either. Also consider top quilts instead of a sleeping bag. Again cost can be an issue. But they are a significant weight savings and great products.

FWIW, I have a Hammock Gear 3-Season Incubator down UQ. I have slept in this down to 20° with no problem. For summer, I have a custom KAQ Jarbridge River (⅞ length), made with 3.0 oz Climashield, good for 45° and above; total weight: 13.4 oz.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.

YMMV

jraffini
05-26-2011, 20:09
I agree you should check out hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net). Also, you asked if you should return your sleeping bag and get an underquilt and use a pad. Just for clarification, the underquilt would eliminate the need for the pad. It is specifically for you bottom insulation. I would definitely try out a pad before you do anything else if you want to save some money. Some people don't like them because it can take away from the comfort of a hammock, but since you probably already own one, or can get one for $6 from wal-mart, they're a very attractive option. Good luck!

Doc Mike
05-26-2011, 20:45
Pads work well for warmth.
Underquilts work well for warmth and comfort.
For me the price of the JRB Nest underquilt was worth it.

JaxHiker
05-26-2011, 20:52
Since you have a Hennessy look at the SuperShelter. It works very well. Of course now I have a Light Hiker and my Summer Incubator arrived in the mail today.

cowpoke
05-26-2011, 22:02
I have the HHED and have been happy with using the Speer SPE with a cheap Wally World blue pad...actually two pads when temps get into the 20's. I think the SPE weighs about 6 ozs....don't hold me to that but it's very light. The SPE helps conform the pads around your body in the hammock. Cheers.

Monkeywrench
05-27-2011, 15:37
I used my Hennessy for my 2009 thru-hike, starting March 18 and finishing Sept 27. I used the Hennessy underpad and undercover. The temp was down to freezing or a bit below a number of times. On those nights I would supplement the underpad my tucking my down jacket between the underpad and the undercover so it was positioned underneath my upper body. It worked really well for me.

I found I needed the underpad whenever the temp dropped below 60 or so overnight.

JaxHiker
05-28-2011, 12:12
I used my Hennessy for my 2009 thru-hike, starting March 18 and finishing Sept 27. I used the Hennessy underpad and undercover. The temp was down to freezing or a bit below a number of times.
In Feb I had the SS at 24. I was using my 30 deg bag inside and was hot. The SS really does work well.

I found I needed the underpad whenever the temp dropped below 60 or so overnight.
Yeah, the slightest bit of wind on my back and I can get chilled. I damn near froze at 50 because I didn't have anything under me when I first started hanging.