PDA

View Full Version : preventing blisters????

coachthatwantsto
05-26-2011, 00:01
I am about to do a section hike possibly from springer to the GA/NC border. I get blisters in my arch everytime I hike more than 10 miles. (I'm definitely an amatuer lol)... My question is... Is there something I can put on the spot beforehand to prevent the blisters or help prevent them? Thanks in advance.

ChinMusic
05-26-2011, 00:08
duct tape...

Jonnycat
05-26-2011, 00:26
What is causing the blister? Sweaty feet? Friction? Compression?

In which arch does it occur, and where?

It helps to understand what is causing a blister to be able to prevent it.

ChinMusic
05-26-2011, 00:28
duct tape...

Tinker
05-26-2011, 00:50
Don't wear cotton socks. Wool, nylon, acrylic or a mixture of any of these is better for reducing the sweat and friction which causes blisters. Smartwool, Thor-lo, Darn Tough, and similar socks are used successfully by many hikers. Also, if your feet slide around in your shoes tie the laces tighter or get different shoes. Low topped, flexible shoes are usually easier on your feet as well, and ventilation is key to keeping blister inducing sweat to a minimum. The reason not to wear cotton for socks is that it holds sweat rather than allowing it to wick away from underfoot.

skooch
05-26-2011, 06:48
What is causing the blister? Sweaty feet? Friction? Compression?

In which arch does it occur, and where?

It helps to understand what is causing a blister to be able to prevent it.

Compression OMG :eek: I didn't realize even the 1/2 size bigger I bought on my last boots would not be wide enough. Once the pack went on my feet became wider and blistered toes happened. New boots may be your option.

msujay
05-26-2011, 07:13
Leukotape. Google it. Stays on much better than duct tape.

njordan2
05-26-2011, 07:30
Fox River socks.

snifur
05-26-2011, 07:56
Compression socks (or nylons) worn under any smart wool type sock. I just completed Springer to Harpers with no blisters. Not one and no hot spots. The compression sock acts as a second skin and takes the friction of the wool sock and shoe. And be sure the socks fit you right.

medic mullins
05-26-2011, 10:30
Keep on changing socks if your feet are moist the will get blisters , I change sock 3 times a day

wash your feet with cold water then towl dry the cold water shrinks the sweat glands

i find that duct tape works great if you take a rubbing alchoal pad and clean the area 1st

dont pop blisters this may intoduce a infection

coachthatwantsto
05-26-2011, 10:33
I get the blisters in the inside of my arch on the back of the arch on both feet. I dont think its my sox or shoes... I train running all the time (did a marathon at Thankgiving)... and never get blisters when runing, but I did a warm up again yesterday of about 4 miles and I could feel the same spot on both feet starting again. Im going now to google the leukotape.. hope you were serious lol

Country Roads
05-26-2011, 19:49
If is seems like friction, you could try Hydropel; it lubricates the area and cuts friction and it is not greasy. I use Hydropel if I know my feet are gonna get wet, it helps prevent blisters from wet feet/socks/boots.

Ironbelly
05-26-2011, 21:43
Do you wear the same shoes running as you do hiking? What kind of socks do you use? Have you tried like others have mentioned using a liner sock and a wool sock combo?

The best way to treat blisters is with prevention. Using proper socks and proper fitting shoes are the base line of prevention. When your hiking, as soon as you start to feel a hot spot STOP and address it. To address a hotspot you can do several things. The two most common methods are to use tape or moleskin,(duct tape or cloth medical tape seem to work the best for me, with the medical tape staying on the best but not as effective as the slicker duct tape) the second method being a lubricant such as vaseline, bodyglide etc. To me it sounds like either a poor fitting shoe or a sock issue, the arch is a somewhat abnormal/uncommon spot to get a blister if your shoes fit properly. When you run, are you trail running, or running on pavement etc? Most blisters happen when hiking due to the different pressure from ascending and descending trail conditions. Running up a paved road on a hill doesn't cause exactly the same conditions. Poor fit in a shoe can sometimes be overcome by trying a different lacing method on your shoes, i don't have a link but a quick google search will show you many different methods.

Hope this helps some, and with a little more information we may be able to provide some more guidance.

Praha4
05-26-2011, 22:16
foot blisters are caused by heat, moisture, and friction.... eliminate as many of those factors as you can.

Try using Darn Tough synthetic Coolmax or merino wool hiking socks, possibly with sock liners.....change socks frequently during the day... keep feet dry as possible with Goldbond powder.... try using some inserts in your hiking shoes like Superfeet Green, Orange, or Blue. You can also protect the skin with either duct tape or Moleskin.

my foot blister problems last year were on the outside of the heel, and some around the toes. I never had a problem around the arch.... but the blisters come from rubbing inside the shoes... your arch area is rubbing against the shoe... tells me maybe you need better arch support which the Superfeet could give you.

Shutterbug
05-26-2011, 22:44
I have found that emu oil works well to eliminate friction. It is available at WalMart as "heel crack treatment."

When I have a lot of downhill, like hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, I coat the top of my toes with New Skin.

MedicineMan
05-27-2011, 03:46
Body-glide on the blister prone areas of the foot works well.

pixie91075
05-27-2011, 14:49
I'm hoping to not get any blisters to begin with, or any hot spots for that matter, but what would you all recommend for someone that's allergic to the adhesives in duct tape/moleskin? (I spent a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics due to cellulitis (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001858/)from blisters caused by an allergic reaction to moleskin during Army basic training.)

J5man
05-27-2011, 15:03
Ininji foot liners.

BobTheBuilder
05-27-2011, 15:04
Body-glide on the blister prone areas of the foot works well.

Put it on the bottoms of your feet, around your toes, on your heel.

Body Glide = No Blisters for me

ChinMusic
05-27-2011, 15:58
I have used Body Glide but have found Hydropel to be superior, especially in wet conditions.

Gaiter
05-27-2011, 16:19
another vote for body glide... and well fitting shoes!

singing wind
05-27-2011, 23:51
Good suggestions above.

There are three key things for me for preventing blisters:
1. keeping my feet meticulously clean and keeping debris out of my shoes, even if this means taking the shoes several times a day (and I find short gaiters do help with this)
2. using some type of friction reducing ointment, gel, etc. on my feet, especially around the toes + they luv da massage!
3. take the time to notice when your feet are getting hot spots and deal with it asap

Oh, as previously mentioned - good fitting shoes definitely help. YMMV.

Hope you have a wonderful hike!

ChinMusic
05-27-2011, 23:56
One of the best recommendations I have read is to soak your feet in a cool stream once a day. I don't know if it helps but it sure FEELS good.

perrito
06-03-2011, 15:05
Leukotape. Google it. Stays on much better than duct tape.

If is seems like friction, you could try Hydropel; it lubricates the area and cuts friction and it is not greasy. I use Hydropel if I know my feet are gonna get wet, it helps prevent blisters from wet feet/socks/boots.

Ininji foot liners.

A combination of these three suggestions works for me. Start with Hydropel and the Injinji liners. Pay close attention to friction and hot spots and adjust the fit of your footwear accordingly. Leukotape any troublesome hot spots. Also, take off your shoes at rest stops to cool and dry them.

Dogwood
06-03-2011, 16:10
My question is... Is there something I can put on the spot beforehand to prevent the blisters or help prevent them?

Assuming from the start you have shoes, socks, and orthotics that fit YOUR FEET RIGHT FOR YOUR HIKING STYLE/PHILOSOPHY/HIKE try Body Glide as several others above have stated, Hydropel(great for wet macerated(wrinkled wet skin) to prevent blisters and sore spots that can occur under those conditions!), or SportStick. BG can be found at many running stores, Sports Authority, REI, many other outfitters etc relatively cheaply.

pilgrim1
06-04-2011, 11:31
just got back (springer to neel 2 1/2 days)didnt think it would work but used duct tape on spots where i always got blisters.hey NO blisters thanks chinmusic for the advice.IT WORKS

Bear Cables
06-04-2011, 11:50

Ditto on the Hydropel. I have never had blisters when I use it.