PDA

View Full Version : New Products Patagonia and Wild Things Gear

fullofadventure
01-29-2005, 20:50
(http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html)

New from Patagonia.

6.5 oz rain jacket and 6oz rain pant for $$$$$

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=366077&sku=83771&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id= (pullover)

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=24134&ws=false (if ya need vents)

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=83795&ws=false (pants)

Product and site update from Wild Things Gear.

Wild Things Gear updated their site and have a new eVENT jacket, bib, and bivy. The also have changes some of their insulation pieces and have some powershield softshell products now too. New lightweight windshells and other stuff too. Check them out.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html (http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html)

U-BOLT
01-29-2005, 23:40
Can you say RIP OFF? $225 for an uninsulated --or barely insulated-- pullover. Yeah, right.

Blue Jay
01-30-2005, 10:13
Can you say RIP OFF? $225 for an uninsulated --or barely insulated-- pullover. Yeah, right.

Oh, say it ain't so. New Gucci clothing for the trail. How can I show my face out there with out a new wardrobe? I'll have to stop eating and sell my grandmother so I can buy this crap and look cool on the trail.

fullofadventure
01-30-2005, 11:42
I am not saying that you “need” this jacket or pants. I know it is expensive but it is very light for what you get (especially from a big manufacturer) and they are taking a chance with welding the whole jacket together which has never been done before. Only time will tell if is durable.

I just posted about it because I know lots of you guys like ultralight rain gear. I know lots of you buy less expensive Frogg Toggs, O2 Rainsheild, Dri Ducks, and others but some/many say they fall apart really fast. I know some of you do not mind this because it was so cheap and you can buy like 5 more for the price of regular rain gear but to me that is not very environmentally sound way of doing things. I do not understand that type of mentality; why not buy a jacket that will last instead of tossing it into the landfill and buying another short term product.

Also do not forget that Patagonia is far better then most companies in the world in regards to the environment. Actually they are leading the way in the corporate world. From trying to build sustainable factories/buildings, using post consumer recycled products in their line of gear and buildings, to only using organic cotton. These things add to the price of their clothing but it is better for us and the world in the long run. For more info read the info from this link, pretty cool stuff to me.

http://www.patagonia.com/enviro/main_enviro_action.shtml?seepromo=home (http://www.patagonia.com/enviro/main_enviro_action.shtml?seepromo=home)

Sorry about my little rant.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-30-2005, 11:54
Reasonable price for quality. Thank goodness there's a company with the integrity to make gear you can depend on. Every piece of Patagonia gear I have performs to specification, I have no regrets in buying it, and have no interest in impressing anyone by wearing it on the trail. Not everyone buys clothing at Walmart.

No need for apologies FULLOFADVENTURE you know what's good and what's not.

Kerosene
01-30-2005, 12:27
Hey, Blue Jay, you're going to need more than some fancy expensive duds to look cool!

(Sorry, I don't normally resort to trash-talking, but it was just the perfect setup.)
:banana:banana :banana :banana

Kerosene
01-30-2005, 12:29
Every piece of Patagonia gear I have performs to specification, I have no regrets in buying itI did not find this to be the case for several wicking T-shirts I purchased for large sums of money about 3 years ago. They didn't stack up to my Duofold stuff.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-30-2005, 12:45
I did not find this to be the case for several wicking T-shirts I purchased for large sums of money about 3 years ago. They didn't stack up to my Duofold stuff.
Different strokes, for different folks-- all the duofold stuff I tried fell short, but I bet someone is happy with them.

Tha Wookie
01-30-2005, 13:04
I like Patagonia. It is expensive but most of what I use from them has lasted a long time. I wear a capaline top that my dad bought in the early eighties. I've used it many many times. It is almost an antique. It is actually better than their new ones, in my experience.

Like with their commitment to the environment, they have more cost than other retailers because they do things right.

They're one of the few companies that I would recommend. The other is Chaco.

Cost-effective in the long run (or walk).

Happy
01-31-2005, 00:23
(http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html)

New from Patagonia.

6.5 oz rain jacket and 6oz rain pant for $$$$$

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=366077&sku=83771&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id= (pullover)

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=24134&ws=false (if ya need vents)

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=83795&ws=false (pants)

Product and site update from Wild Things Gear.

Wild Things Gear updated their site and have a new eVENT jacket, bib, and bivy. The also have changes some of their insulation pieces and have some powershield softshell products now too. New lightweight windshells and other stuff too. Check them out.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html (http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html)

On Whiteblaze we have never had a problem with open sales, that submitted new products to our members, with such members as Cedar Tree, or such who offer other comments... but with you, you NEVER contribute unless YOU ARE trying to sell us, as on other forums, YOU do the same...THAT OFFENDS ME...AND I prefer you refraim from participating on this forum, unless you prefer to contribute!!! Please find another site to SELL!!! :confused: :confused:

fullofadventure
01-31-2005, 01:31
Hey Happy, relax. I am not trying to sell you anything; I have nothing to do with the backpacking industry. I just like to inform people of new products that are out there so they can make educated choices. In the past I have made bad gear purchases and I try to research everything I buy so not to waste money. I was just trying to help out. I do post on other forums about it to so it gets maximum exposure.

Also do not say I do not contribute on all the sites I visit because I do. I suggest you use the search button. You say what I did offends you, well people like you assuming and talking out their a$$ offends me.

You do not like it or me then do not read my posts.

You have been called out Happy. You could have sent me a private message and found out that I am just a regular Joe that IS NOT SELLING GEAR but you choose lesser of two ways and now it is you who should refrain from posting here unless you have something positive to say.

Bye for now not so Happy hiker.

fullofadventure
02-02-2005, 14:22
I just got an e-mail back from Patagonia about their H2No wp/b barrier. A lot of people have been saying lately that the H2No is actually Entrant so I asked them and they told me it is not. It is their own proprietary tech. Here is what they said.

H2No is not Entrant or any other "off the shelf" technology thatPatagonia buys and then renames. If we were buying it off the shelf, Gore, Entrant, eVent, etc. we would use our vendors commercial names, there is simply more equity in Gore than H2No. So, H2No is our own proprietary technology. I hope this helps fix the confusion around the H2No barrier Patagonia uses.

gravityman
02-02-2005, 15:26
I believe H2No is just another PU membrane. Cheap to make, and very little breathability. Would be interesting to hear comments to the contrary...

Gravity

steve hiker
02-02-2005, 20:09
I like Patagonia. It is expensive but most of what I use from them has lasted a long time. I wear a capaline top that my dad bought in the early eighties. I've used it many many times. It is almost an antique. It is actually better than their new ones, in my experience.

Like with their commitment to the environment, they have more cost than other retailers because they do things right.

They're one of the few companies that I would recommend. The other is Chaco.

Cost-effective in the long run (or walk).
I admit to caving in to the hype and buying one of those MicroPuff Pullovers recently. 150 big smackaroos. But I've only worn it so far in what passes for a winter down here. Haven't worn it in any real cold. That will change this comign week when I go for another section hike. Hope it gets near zero. :clap

If it isn't up to snuff I'll send it back. Called Patagonia and they said just send it back anytime with the receipt if you're not satisfied. I have a feeling that it's overrated and they're making big $$$$ on this stuff that probably costs less than $5 to make, but that's generally true of any quality gear.

A-Train
02-02-2005, 21:01
I heard Patagucci donates 10% of their profits to the environmental, which is a worthy cause and worth paying the extra money (not that I have anything by them!). Hopefully their quality is still up to snuff, as companies such as the North Face have seen decreases in quality and increase in price.

As always, I recommend to people on a budget or not caring how cool they look, to check out campmor.com or better yet, go to Jerzee and visit. They have duofold clothes there for 20 bucks and under (t-shirts for like 5-7 bucks) and much of it has lasted me years.

DavidR
02-04-2005, 12:03
Thanks for showing us the new offerings from some of the manufacturers. I, for one am interested.

Happy
02-08-2005, 00:38
Hey Happy, relax. I am not trying to sell you anything; I have nothing to do with the backpacking industry. I just like to inform people of new products that are out there so they can make educated choices. In the past I have made bad gear purchases and I try to research everything I buy so not to waste money. I was just trying to help out. I do post on other forums about it to so it gets maximum exposure.

Also do not say I do not contribute on all the sites I visit because I do. I suggest you use the search button. You say what I did offends you, well people like you assuming and talking out their a$$ offends me.

I did use the search button on this site, BEFORE my post, and that resulted in my comments on my orginal post...however I was drinking a lot of beer and owe you an apology on my crude post...please accept!!!

On second nature, I am doing a section hike on March 1ST with the aspiring thru-hikers and would request, what you think I should carry as my "Big Four" weight wise and WHY!

Any other comments would be appreciated, as I want to enjoy these 6 days!!! :sun :sun

You do not like it or me then do not read my posts.

You have been called out Happy. You could have sent me a private message and found out that I am just a regular Joe that IS NOT SELLING GEAR but you choose lesser of two ways and now it is you who should refrain from posting here unless you have something positive to say.

Bye for now not so Happy hiker.
I did use the search button on this site, BEFORE my post, and that resulted in my comments on my orginal post...however I was drinking a lot of beer and owe you an apology on my crude post...please accept!!!

On second nature, I am doing a section hike on March 1ST with the aspiring thru-hikers and would request, what you think I should carry as my "Big Four" weight wise and WHY!

Any other comments would be appreciated, as I want to enjoy these 6 days!!! :sun :sun

orangebug
02-08-2005, 08:41
The best way to get opinion on The Big Four is a seperate thread and letting folks know where you are walking. You probably have some gear already.

But I doubt anyone should use such a thread as a shopping list. One of the best outcomes of our numerous vendors is the multitude of ways to succeed. We have bullet proof heavier packs with comfy suspensions, as well as featherlight rucksacks designed for ultralight hiking gear.

Personally, I tend to economize on the pack(Kelty Flight $100 on closeout), spend bucks on the sleeping bag (WM PUMA over $500), in between on shelter (Wanderlust Nomad $150 or Speer Pea Pod $350), and I can't figure out what qualifies as the fourth. I've seen others do much better for weight and price, as well as very Cadillac in price and comfort.

It's all good.

ocourse
02-08-2005, 09:21
Thanks for the link, fullofadventure. I like checking out the new gear - sometimes I will purchase really expensive new items. More often I just enjoy reading about new fabrics or features. Sometimes I will make my own stuff. Guess I'm a gearhead on a budget! When I wanted a shell jacket for wind and water I looked to see what the big guys offered on the high-end shells. Once I was armed with info I searched for a while on ebay until I found a great jacket really cheap. Now if I could only make my own trail boots and shoes...

Happy
02-11-2005, 02:45
The best way to get opinion on The Big Four is a seperate thread and letting folks know where you are walking. You probably have some gear already.

But I doubt anyone should use such a thread as a shopping list. One of the best outcomes of our numerous vendors is the multitude of ways to succeed. We have bullet proof heavier packs with comfy suspensions, as well as featherlight rucksacks designed for ultralight hiking gear.

Personally, I tend to economize on the pack(Kelty Flight $100 on closeout), spend bucks on the sleeping bag (WM PUMA over $500), in between on shelter (Wanderlust Nomad $150 or Speer Pea Pod $350), and I can't figure out what qualifies as the fourth. I've seen others do much better for weight and price, as well as very Cadillac in price and comfort.

It's all good.

I realize that, as I started the thread almost a year ago...just wanted to see what fullofadventure could contribute to my situation, as he stated he would help with threads he advertized on! :sun :sun

Nightwalker
02-11-2005, 22:41
Oh, say it ain't so. New Gucci clothing for the trail. How can I show my face out there with out a new wardrobe? I'll have to stop eating and sell my grandmother so I can buy this crap and look cool on the trail.
Blue Jay, you oughta love these yuppie hikers like I do. They're the ones that let me get a new 2004 Osprey Aether 60 in January for $120 and a new 2004 Mountainsmith Wisp (24 ounce!) down bag in January for $175.

Bless their little trendy hearts. :D

Nightwalker

Blue Jay
02-12-2005, 10:22
Blue Jay, you oughta love these yuppie hikers like I do. They're the ones that let me get a new 2004 Osprey Aether 60 in January for $120 and a new 2004 Mountainsmith Wisp (24 ounce!) down bag in January for $175.

Bless their little trendy hearts. :D

Nightwalker

I'm not posting on this thread any more because my fellings are still hurt by Kerosene telling me I'm not cool. Come on, I wear my Patagucci underware every time I dumpster dive :banana .

orangebug
02-12-2005, 17:55
Blue Jay, you oughta love these yuppie hikers like I do. They're the ones that let me get a new 2004 Osprey Aether 60 in January for $120 and a new 2004 Mountainsmith Wisp (24 ounce!) down bag in January for $175...Frank, now it wasn't just the trendy yuppies who helped you get those good deals. You also happened to be in the right place at the right time: SORUCK '05 at NOC in the dead of January.

We helped those folks pay the rent and get rid of some inventory that their Christmas Sales had still left around. Now, you have blown it by telling everyone where to go next MLK weekend. We will all have to contend with bargain hunters.

Nightwalker
02-12-2005, 18:17
Frank, now it wasn't just the trendy yuppies who helped you get those good deals. You also happened to be in the right place at the right time: SORUCK '05 at NOC in the dead of January.

We helped those folks pay the rent and get rid of some inventory that their Christmas Sales had still left around. Now, you have blown it by telling everyone where to go next MLK weekend. We will all have to contend with bargain hunters.
OB,

That wasn't the first or last January bargain that I've gotten on new-but-last-year stuff. Also, the Mountainsmith bag was somewhere else. I'd already ordered it!

And do you really think that sale of last year's stuff was only because we were there? Riiiiight... :D

Nightwalker
02-12-2005, 18:22
Hey!

I'm just curious and all, but why can't we edit other people's posts? Wouldn't that be fun?

:bse