PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Stoic?

MisplacedMainer
05-26-2011, 08:14
I've been looking at Stoic's merino hiking shirts and figured I would get some input from the WB community. Anyone have experience with this company?

Rick500
05-26-2011, 09:14
Yep, I have a few pieces of their stuff. The fit is hit and miss (as in, sometimes the sleeves are too long in proportion to the chest, etc.), but it's good quality. The merino hiking shirts, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, are nice and the fit is fine.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-26-2011, 16:26
I believe that is Backcountry.com's house brand now.

STICK
06-02-2011, 16:31
Yep, Stoic was born from Backcountry.com.

I have some of their merino socks and one of the Merino Bliss 150 Shirts. I recently got a very deep coupon on Stoic, so I picked up about 5 pairs of the socks and this shirt for $30.

I bought the shirt a in an XL hoping that it would be a little loose, and it is. It has a half zip on the front and a large front zip pocket. The sleeves come down nearly to my elbow, but I like that. It is soft against my skin and feels nice. I am interested in seeing how it performs in this summers heat...

I am not so sure about the socks. They pill a bunch, and it makes me wonder how they will hold up in the long run. My SmartWool socks never piled this much though.

I can reccomend someone buying the shirt, if it was what they are looking for, but I am not so sure that I would buy the socks again. But to be fair, I haven't really wore them in yet, so I will have to see about them...

skinewmexico
06-02-2011, 17:47
Sleeves are long on the one I got on closeout for $20 (at Backcounty), but otherwise I really like it.

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 11:34
raising the dead here... i have a stoic tent and i love it (the Alpine Suite 4p). great quality and craftmanship (on par with more recongizable, high-end brands) without the sticker shock.

peteyglad
11-12-2012, 12:22
I have a Stoic Somnus 30 bag I got for $150 from a back country sale in the spring. I have used it a dozen times and it has been great. It is light and packs small.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

T-Rx
11-12-2012, 12:56
I have a stoic 150 merino long sleeve shirt. Fit is a little snug but overall good quality.

G.G.
11-12-2012, 13:21
I've had a few jackets and base layers. Not bad not great. Basically, you get what you pay for. Sizing is all over the place.

Kerosene
11-12-2012, 15:04
I had a 2.2 oz. Stoic hooded windshirt, in orange, that was fantastic on top of some of the blustery Whites this fall. Unfortunately it apparently fell out of my side pocket while ascending Baldpate on an increasingly stormy morning. I was really bummed. I just hope that someone found it and is making use of it.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2012, 22:17
i have a stoic long sleeve quarter zip with thumbholes.
Its made well enough.
Kind of heavy ~8 oz

I dont wear it much. In cool weather I prefer a body-fitting tight baselayer with my SS ultralight shirt worn on top.

Dogwood
11-13-2012, 00:12
It seems nearly every gear manufacturer has released a line of down and merino wool pieces this year. I didn't know there was so much supposedly high end level down(800 + in my book) or merino wool available. Just three yrs ago 800 + down gear and the very best merino wool hiking clothing was hard to find except in the upper echelons of pricey hiking gear. It seems like SO MANY gear maunfacturers are touting their high end down and merino wool gear these days. It makes me say HUMMM? Is everyone rating their down and merino wool the same? I'll go out on a limb and say - NO.

That being said, I like the quoted specs on Stoic's Hadron 850 down? Hoodie pullover weighing in at about 8 oz. for about $110. Would love to review it further.

LazySquatch
12-11-2012, 19:53
I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the Hadron Anorak myself. Your should grab one Dogwood and share what you think :)

konradchen
01-07-2013, 23:00
Stoic makes great stuff. Check the reviews for comments about fit, as they sometimes have wonky fits. My GF and I have been extremely pleased with their merino shirts, fleece gloves, softshells, etc.

Drybones
01-08-2013, 11:06
I've been looking at Stoic's merino hiking shirts and figured I would get some input from the WB community. Anyone have experience with this company?

I have a long sleeve 1/2 zip top, it's warm, but the fit under the arm pits is too tight for me, can't wear it over a short sleeve tee, may be those massive shoulders I have (IMD). It's okay worn alone though, I like other brands better.

konradchen
01-08-2013, 16:32
Forgot to add, make sure to check for them on steepandcheap or departmentoffoods.com I get my stoic merino shirts only when they are around $20 each.

AndrewAZ
08-14-2013, 14:04
Stoic makes great stuff. Check the reviews for comments about fit, as they sometimes have wonky fits. My GF and I have been extremely pleased with their merino shirts, fleece gloves, softshells, etc.

I bought the lightest Stoic Bliss long sleeve (the 150?), and I love it. It has survived 1000+ miles of hiking this year and is still in great shape. Even with all the thorny stuff in Arizona, it has been surprisingly resistant to snags and tears. I have rather long arms, so the extremely long sleeves with thumb holes are ideal (although if I use the thumb holes, the sleeves are a hair short). I bought one of the heavier (200?) shirts as a casual long sleeve that I'll wear around in the winter. I definitely recommend them.

The GoLite Koli merino wool short sleeve, on the other hand...

WILLIAM HAYES
08-14-2013, 20:52
I bought my wife a stoics primaloft hoodie several tears ago and she loves it great fit and good quality

Drybones
08-14-2013, 21:42
I could really like the long sleeve 1/4 zip tee I got from them if it were not for the tight fit in the arm pits, as it is, I rarely wear it.