PDA

View Full Version : Folding a sleeping bag!

World-Wide
05-26-2011, 11:05
Are there any good suggestions/shortcuts to folding your sleeping bag to the original size it was packaged when you bought it??? :confused: I have a Marmot Helium EQ and I can't get it to half the size it was when I purchased it. It's a great bag until it comes time to folding into a compact form. Any and suggestions are greatly appreciated!! W-W

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 11:08
you should never fold the bag, stuff it into the sack or directly into the sleeping bag compartment of your pack. When you're not using your bag, it should be stored in a breathable pillow case or sack in a dry cool area.

World-Wide
05-26-2011, 11:14
you should never fold the bag, stuff it into the sack or directly into the sleeping bag compartment of your pack. When you're not using your bag, it should be stored in a breathable pillow case or sack in a dry cool area.

When not in use I hang it on the closet so it stays in full form. Never tried just randomly stuffing it into the sack. Will give that a try! Thanks!

long island bob
05-26-2011, 11:26
I roll mine (very loosely) for home storage and slide it into a sleeping bag compression sack.

When hiking I tighten the straps and my sleeping bag compresses nicely.

World-Wide
05-26-2011, 11:39
Got it! I simply grabbed the sack it came in and stuffed the sleeping bag in a little at a time. 2 minutes later the the bag was in its original sack!! Planning a thru-hike this coming February and was wondering if stuffing it into the small sack day in, day out will damage the bag in the long run?? W-W

atraildreamer
05-26-2011, 11:55
Ever try to refold one of those cheap plastic raincoats and get it back into the package it came in? :eek: A machine was probably used to initially fold and package the sleeping bag. :-? Don't drive yourself nuts :banana ...stuff the bag into the stuffsack. :D

bigcranky
05-26-2011, 12:02
A good down bag can be stuffed and unstuffed for years without significant damage.

Feral Bill
05-26-2011, 12:18
You might find a slightly larger stuff sack to be worthwhile. Easier to stuff and molds itself to your packs insides better.

Many Walks
05-26-2011, 12:29
I use a light Granite Gear compression sack. It's easy to stuff the bag and then compress it to the size I want to fit the pack. Storage is always in the large cotton storage bag to maintain loft. I always use a base layer or silk liner when sleeping to keep the bag clean and hang it in the sun prior to storage.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-26-2011, 12:44
I use a Granite Gear compression sack when hiking..at home for storage..I hang it ..never folded or in a stuff sack for long term storage...First thing after getting tent up at camp I get it outta that compression sack and let it loft up..If there's no chance of rain (blue bird sky) I'll get the bag out and hang it on a tree limb even before I set up the tent....

World-Wide
05-26-2011, 13:16
Great info all...Thanks! W-W

mister krabs
05-26-2011, 13:18
Stuffing causes less damage than folding because if you fold it, the compression is in the same place every time, leading to more spot wear on the fabric. At least that is the theory with tents.

One Half
05-26-2011, 13:59
A good down bag can be stuffed and unstuffed for years without significant damage.

I have had my down bag for 20 years. no problems

Deadeye
05-26-2011, 14:28

+1, had mine since 1969, still good to go

World-Wide
05-26-2011, 14:53
+1, had mine since 1969, still good to go

Wow, since 1969....who manufactured that bag! Good stuff!! :)

long island bob
05-26-2011, 15:09
Got it! I simply grabbed the sack it came in and stuffed the sleeping bag in a little at a time. 2 minutes later the the bag was in its original sack!! Planning a thru-hike this coming February and was wondering if stuffing it into the small sack day in, day out will damage the bag in the long run?? W-W

Most sleeping bags don't come in a compression sack

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/1EsrpnqhDrFTKSloXtRJeqFY13nB1dVEh34dDW-Os5f8qBRFTAzR0PJF1pGtullvDciXpYRsOavCp3Ob_Oy3KS2pE 6JF4o6lCo9bom8pvpGBOM4x-Pj_8bKcQqB2TtRSE5rbpIRwVDtXa2psCBJ3PeN6NxTcdMwv7_v EoBsuDzOwZQ=s90-c
They cost about $10-$20 and come with three external straps for compressing you bag down to a minimum. (Please don't store it at home in a compressed fashion.)

Deadeye
05-26-2011, 21:24
Wow, since 1969....who manufactured that bag! Good stuff!! :)

It was Gerry... IIRC the Gerry Yosemite. A semi-rectangular bag rated to 20 degrees, but good to 20 below. We used to carry shorty ensolite pads which we'd roll up and stick in a stuff sack, then stuff the sleeping bag in the open core... and you had to stuff it real hard. By the time you were done, you were all warmed up. Don't know what happened to Gerry, they've been gone a long time.

Nowadays, though, I stuff my bag loosely into a roomy stuff sack. that makes for a softer package that will conform better to things around it, rather than a rock-hard cylinder.

moytoy
05-27-2011, 06:15
Trying to fold a down bag would be a very frustrating job. BTW I keep mine in it's storage sack and use it for a pillow when I'm traveling in MHome or TTrailer.

Egads
05-27-2011, 06:49
You can't fold a bag 7 times, it's impossible.

Rocket Jones
05-27-2011, 07:13
You can't fold a bag 7 times, it's impossible.

Ha! Mythbusters busted that one. All you need is a steamroller. ;)