PDA

View Full Version : Snakes and Kids?

Stuart
01-29-2005, 21:16
The recent snake topic brings my only concern about snakes to mind and that is snake bites and kids.

My children are 4 and 6 and each time we go camping poisonous snake bites are always in the back of my mind given the kids young age and small size. I assume that I at 260 pounds would survive it and they at 40 may not.

We walked up on a copperhead one time and damn near gave me a heart attack as my son, then about 4, didn't see it right in the middle of the trail. I scared the hell out of him yelling "STOP!" Turned out the snake was dead, curled up there.

Anyway for those with younger children whom you would like to involve in your passion for hiking, camping and eventually backpacking what is the reasonable and responsible course to take? Is this a concern or something not to worry over? Should the kids always follow the adult in walking down the trail? What is protocal to avoid young kids tromping on snakes?

It is my understanding that smaller bodies might not fair so well against a venomous snake bite. At what point is this no longer too much of a concern? 80 pounds, 100 pounds?

SGT Rock
01-29-2005, 21:21
I really think your over worrying about this. I have been hiking with my kids for years in places thick with snakes and I've never had a problem.

orangebug
01-29-2005, 21:26
Teach your kids to not touch anything without asking you first.

But, you are probably worrying too much.

Stuart
01-29-2005, 21:27
I really think your over worrying about this. I have been hiking with my kids for years in places thick with snakes and I've never had a problem.

You are probably right. May be an irrational fear. I hope so!