PDA

View Full Version : Any flat spots to camp between Blood Mtn and Neel's Gap?

jtlee1
05-26-2011, 13:20
I think it's mostly steep downhill...but it looks like the elevation profile shows a small, sorta flat spot about a mile down from Blood Mtn. Anyone?

jtlee1
05-26-2011, 13:21
check that...maybe half a mile down from Blood.

Old Hiker
05-26-2011, 13:23
Going north, I'd keep going through Mt Crossings, up the other side and start to see some very nice camping spots. Or just stop at the hostel.

Alligator
05-26-2011, 13:55
Did you already rule out the Slaughter Gap campsites just south of Blood
Mt?

fiddlehead
05-26-2011, 14:15
There's a great spot about halfway down.
There's even water nearby (if you can find it, retrace back up the mtn about 50 metres and listen for it)
It's been a while but look for a big, rectangular rock with a great spot for one tent next to it, on the right hand side of the trail.
I've camped there twice.

jtlee1
05-26-2011, 14:19
Thanks all for the info. Keep 'em coming!

I haven't ruled out any campsites...just trying to even up my distances for 2 days worth of hiking.

jtlee1
05-26-2011, 14:20
Fiddlehead, could you be referring to Flat Rock Gap?

fiddlehead
05-26-2011, 14:32
Fiddlehead, could you be referring to Flat Rock Gap?

I don't think so. There's no view at the place i'm talking about.
Just a small campsite for 2 at most.
Sort of a stealth site except it's in view of the trail I believe.

springerfever
05-26-2011, 15:11
Actually there's a great spot about a 1/10th of a mile just off the summit headed down to Neel's gap. On the right with a great view and enough room to set up a couple of two person tents. No fires allowed, but stove cooking is OK, just be careful. It is right off the trail, so you will probably have company.

Furthur down, just past the intersection with the Freeman trail and the Byron Reece trail, there are quite a few great campsites with nice grassy areas. Water to be found a bit down the Byron Reece.

Actually , it would be tough to camp here knowing that Ben and Jerrys is just down the trail at Mountain Crossings !

Doc Mike
05-26-2011, 15:32
Could take a hammock and not worry about a flat spot. Not trying to turn it into a tent vs hammock thing but the best thing is it doesn't matter if there is a flat spot or not. One less thing to worry about.

jtlee1
05-26-2011, 15:41
I actually am carrying a hammock. First time, and I'm very excited about checking it out! Two others in the group are carrying tents.

Doc Mike
05-26-2011, 16:06
Let me know what you think when your done. They are not for everyone but I sure wouldn't go back to ground.

jtlee1
05-29-2011, 23:08
Loved the hammock! Not that I slept better in the hammock than on the ground by a large margin (although I did sleep better)...but when I was awake, i was COMFORTABLE!!

Doc Mike
05-30-2011, 19:44
Thought you might like it. It took me about 20 nights probably to get to the point of sleeping all the way through the night in complete comfort. working out temperature regulation for the different seasons, learning to use fewer clothes as a pillow( needed a larger pillow on the ground.) etc. The more you use it the better you will like it.