PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike barefoot ?

Red Dawn
05-26-2011, 13:49
I was curious if anyone has attempted or done the entire FT barefoot. I'm planning on doing a 2012 thru hike and I thought about trying it without shoes. I did Apalachicola barefoot with mix success. I know it's a rather silly thing to do..but I thought it would make it little more interesting. Even more so with all the road walking. I was also curious if I could message anyone on here that has recently completed the FT I have a lot questions. Thank you.

hikerboy57
05-26-2011, 13:54
the barefoot sisters both NOBO and SOBO.

jbwood5
05-26-2011, 13:59
I was curious if anyone has attempted or done the entire FT barefoot. I'm planning on doing a 2012 thru hike and I thought about trying it without shoes. I did Apalachicola barefoot with mix success. I know it's a rather silly thing to do..but I thought it would make it little more interesting. Even more so with all the road walking. I was also curious if I could message anyone on here that has recently completed the FT I have a lot questions. Thank you.

Well... you've got to read the book Barefoot Sisters... or is it the Adventures of the Barefoot Sisters.

Anyhow, it is about 2 gals from Maine who tried it (actually sisters). They almost never wore shoes throughout their childhood and they were as prepared as anyone. It is good book and definitely a good read. Try Googling it. Once I got started reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. I think there is a follow up 2nd book as well.

Red Dawn
05-26-2011, 14:03
I think I saw that book when i stayed at Rusty's on the AT. I didn't know they made it down to Florida. I'd be curious to read about there journeys through PA.

jbwood5
05-26-2011, 14:08
I see we are talking FT, not AT. My biggest concern would be the numerous coral snakes which are often on the trail. I hiked the Swannee River section with another guy and he was just wearing sandals. We kept coming across coral snakes (in September) and the other guy was really getting concerned. Keep in mind there are a lot of grassy areas where you can't easily see your feet or what is in the grass.

Otherwise... I'd say it could be done if you already hike other trails BF and have built up tough feet.

WingedMonkey
05-26-2011, 14:28
I'm a native and and have gone bare foot often around Florida. The FT is not a place I would attempt it. Other than a few groomed trails like Ocala National Forest or some areas of sandy tread way the trail is very rough ground. The southern portion in Big Cypress is a lot of saw grass and will slice your feet and legs. Cuts that are easy to infect in the swamp water. The shell rock used to top the canal levees will also slice your feet, especially with added pack weight. Many parts of the trail go through forest harvest land where the trail shares firebreaks. Firebreaks in Florida are made using Bush Hogs and disk plows. A lot of sticks and lighter pine stobs get mixed into the soil. Fire ants occupy many areas and it's quicker to get your shoes off and beat them off the shoes than to try and get them out from between your toes. Like you said there are a lot of road walks, and the shoulders are full of broken glass and mowed over aluminum cans, and more fire ants.
So I would say wear light weight shoes (maybe even a pair you can throw away after crossing the Everglades) and take them off to walk when it looks safe. Maybe along some of the sandy river banks like the Suwannee or open sugar sand on woods roads (although sugar sand can get hotter than beach sand in the sun), maybe even some wetlands where the bottom isn't deep muck.
:banana

LoneRidgeRunner
05-26-2011, 14:36
Those barefoot sisters got bigger b@lls than I do...myself..I wouldn't even consider hiking barefoot anywhere outside the house..but..that's just me...

moytoy
05-26-2011, 18:54
I think walking barefoot in the Florida woods is inviting trouble. Even if you don't step on a coral snake or a rattle snake ( which you probably never will) you can step on many other things that can do serious damage to your bare feet. I got bit by a centipede while camping on the St. Johns river and I was hurting for a couple of days. If your hiking long distance you should protect your feet IMO.

P1nkPanther
05-26-2011, 20:20
As a Floridian with tough feet, I can say that it's possible. In fact, you have intrigued me to consider going barefoot on my next hike...I can't stand getting all that sand in my socks/shoes!

Are you well-practiced in walking on asphalt barefoot? Just make sure to toughen up! While I agree snakes are a concern, usually walking barefoot you are going slow enough and are more aware of your foot placement. Do you feel your usual pace is fast enough that going barefoot won't completely throw you off schedule?

I recently did 3 days in the SNP with friends on Jeremy's Run which includes an incredible number of water crossings. I decided I did not want to bring camp or water shoes, so I was barefooting the crossings and then often staying barefoot on the trail between them. I loved it. I really felt pressed to justify my preference to my hiking partners. Yes, I was walking slower but I *could* have been faster than all of them wearing shoes. I wasn't aware it was race. I was concerned about centipedes, especially if I had to walk over leaf litter. And directly to/from the water was very rocky, but I enjoyed having to think more about my footing - if that makes sense.

**Note: My feet really are tough and I've gone barefoot in many conditions - both urban and rural - that most would not. Also one hiking buddy was especially concerned with parasites you can pick up from the ground and while I was not worried, I have not really educated myself in that area.

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2011, 08:34
Rob Bredl runs around in the outback barefoot, so yes you can run around Florida barefoot. Watch the video on here http://www.barefootbushman.com.au/index_2.htm and he has some on youtube.

BTW, coral snakes are probably the least of your concern.

Mizirlou
05-27-2011, 10:25
I think walking barefoot is inviting trouble.

Animal poop. Hookworm.

Red Dawn
05-28-2011, 01:45
Current plan is to start in big cypress on new years eve. I just need finish getting my dog certified as a service animal. I just need to know what I'm in for on a thru hike from someone who has done it recently. I have done the panhandle section and I have found miles to be off and wrong. I'll have a map, guidebook,databook, and handout I got from the park. All will end up having different miles or wrong campsite information. It's ruined a few hikes when our 20 miles days became 26. I also have found many sections up here to be horribly blazed. I been lost on the FT at some point in every section I have hiked.

jerseydave
05-28-2011, 07:59
Ancient man walked barefoot for thousands of years....... then as the human brain developed and they became more intelligent, they began using footwear. nuf said

WingedMonkey
05-28-2011, 12:58
I also have found many sections up here to be horribly blazed. I been lost on the FT at some point in every section I have hiked.

Going barefoot is the last thing you should be thinking about.
:sun

lilricky
05-29-2011, 14:14
If you are dead set on hiking the FT barefoot, might I suggest using Vibram five fingers? That way you still have the mobility that you like, along with added protection.

WingedMonkey
05-29-2011, 14:31
Current plan is to start in big cypress on new years eve. I just need finish getting my dog certified as a service animal.

May I ask why you use a service animal?

long island bob
05-29-2011, 15:19
I think I saw that book when i stayed at Rusty's on the AT. I didn't know they made it down to Florida. I'd be curious to read about there journeys through PA.

There were sections of the hike where they resorted to wearing shoes, I supect PA was one of them.

Jackrabbit herself writes:

"My sister (Isis) and I hiked about 1300 miles barefoot last summer and fall, and about 200 this spring (between snow storms) in the course of our southbound hike. We're going to yo-yo and hopefully fill in the sections where we had to wear boots."(from an e-mail on 03/11/01)
http://www.barefoothikers.org/barefoot-sisters.html

There is a group calling themselves "The Barefoot Hikers of PA" that DID complete a barefoot hike of the PA AT though.
http://www.barefoothikers.org/report_appalachian-trail.html

restless
05-29-2011, 15:55
Current plan is to start in big cypress on new years eve. I just need finish getting my dog certified as a service animal. I just need to know what I'm in for on a thru hike from someone who has done it recently. I have done the panhandle section and I have found miles to be off and wrong. I'll have a map, guidebook,databook, and handout I got from the park. All will end up having different miles or wrong campsite information. It's ruined a few hikes when our 20 miles days became 26. I also have found many sections up here to be horribly blazed. I been lost on the FT at some point in every section I have hiked.

Having previously worked for the Florida trail Association, albeit 10 years ago, I would venture to say that what you experienced in the panhandle, you can expect throughout Florida. With the exception of Ocala NF, it seems as if mileage, blazes, campsite info, even clear directions, all leave something to be desired. Best of luck to you though, Florida is a real gem.

Red Dawn
05-30-2011, 22:59
Honestly, I'm just trying to find an loop hole I can. So I can enter certain areas and state parks with my hiking partner who happens to be a dog. My biggest expense besides flying back to Florida (during the AT) was having my dog crated during the smokies. Which I ended up doing so fast I didn't even enjoy it. I'll never understand why man's best friend is not allowed. I can honestly say my dog has saved my life on a few long distance hikes. I can understand the chaos if every day hiker and boy scout had a dog through the smokies. I just think there should be exceptions made for designated "thru-hikers" IMO.

restless
05-30-2011, 23:08
Honestly, I'm just trying to find an loop hole I can. So I can enter certain areas and state parks with my hiking partner who happens to be a dog. My biggest expense besides flying back to Florida (during the AT) was having my dog crated during the smokies. Which I ended up doing so fast I didn't even enjoy it. I'll never understand why man's best friend is not allowed. I can honestly say my dog has saved my life on a few long distance hikes. I can understand the chaos if every day hiker and boy scout had a dog through the smokies. I just think there should be exceptions made for designated "thru-hikers" IMO.

If this is the only reason that you are trying to get your dog listed as a "service dog", than you are the lowest of low-lifes. I have known several people who have had a service dog and in every instance it was because they needed one. Thru-hikers are not entitled to any special treatment or bending of the rules simply because they are thru-hikers. Every rule is there for a place, and is meant to protect the wilderness resource, not to make it difficult, or uncomfortable, or miserable for all the whiny thru-hikers out there. I hope that if you in fact do not really need a service dog, I hope you get exposed for the fraud that you are.

Red Dawn
05-30-2011, 23:31
Wow. I just want to thru-hike and I can't and won't have someone watch my dog for months at at time. That apparently makes me a low life? Because a 40 mile section of the entire trail doesn't allow dogs. People do a lot more damage to the wilderness resource then my dog ever has and will. I'm also a trail maintainer and promote the FT and other local trails to kids my age. I appreciate the internet bashing though.

WingedMonkey
05-30-2011, 23:37

Thank you for an honest answer......it still sucks.
In my work and in my volunteerism and my friendships I have the pleasure of being around a lot of access impaired individuals.
I will use someones handicap hanger to park my vehicle or theirs in a designated spot while they are with me. I have never used one just to make it more convenient to me. I also volunteer with a wheelchair tennis organization and I hear and see how often they have to go through crap just for access to courts (I don't even play tennis).
I have defended other friends where access was denied for them with a service dog. I would never fake it with my own animal just so I can take them where I want.
I'm not sure offhand what parts of the FT, if any, are off limits to leashed dogs. I would support your effort to open up any that are.
I can not support cheating the system and thereby making it harder on those that truly need a service animal.

Red Dawn
05-31-2011, 00:04
I agree with you. I really don't want to sound insensitive to truly disabled people. I just want to be able to thru-hike with my hiking partner.

Walkintom
05-31-2011, 07:41
There is a right way and a wrong way to do things in life.

IMHO a lot of the problems we have in the world are because way too many people feel entitled to special treatment and loopholes.

If you can get the trail reclassified to allow your dog, fine. If not, then man up and either live with the rule or break the rule and deal with the consequences if caught.

Weaseling is not the answer to life's difficulties.

lilricky
06-05-2011, 00:56
Back to the topic, if you do want to barefoot the FT, please don't forget insect repellant. As close to 100% DEET you can for your feet. We have a large Chigger/Redbug population here in Florida. And trust me, you don't want to tangle with them!

elvisandedgar
06-10-2011, 19:03
I did from 75 south to 441 last new years and did the first 3 days barefoot due to the mud/muck that pulled my sandals apart about 1 hour after we started. My hiking partner had on a cheap 20 dollar pair of running shoes from walmart. His shoes stayed on and worked good I took mine off and walked about 12 miles saw grass, leaches, unseen tree roots and stumps, rocks, the occasional three foot deep hole, and these weird little biting things in the water. I am thinking about trying the Vibram five fingers. It is something that can be done but is hard we did just a little over 3 miles a day the first 2 days we hiked over 10 miles the last day by noon. I fixed my shoes and wore them walking in the pines the last two days. We are planning on doing from 75 north this year. You may want to not take your dog on the trail through Big Cypress it would be a miserable time for the dog.

nelson7fl
06-24-2011, 23:52
i think you got your little coment thing all wrong it should say god is love gives you joy happenist purpose goal ect... iam sure it was just a type-o

wahoo
06-25-2011, 01:06
I've used the Vibram Five Fingers (KSO model) on and off for a few months. They are nice, just give your feet some time to get used to them. I went on the Croom "A" Loop shortly after I got them and my feet were pretty raw by the end of the seven miles.

dillard
06-25-2011, 09:49
I've used the Vibram Five Fingers (KSO model) on and off for a few months. They are nice, just give your feet some time to get used to them. I went on the Croom "A" Loop shortly after I got them and my feet were pretty raw by the end of the seven miles.

+1 to the Vibram's. I use my VFF TrekSports all over and have hiked much of the FT in them. They have a bit of plating on the bottom which protects your feet more than most Vibram models but you still get the ground feel.

Two Tents
06-25-2011, 10:11
I just need finish getting my dog certified as a service animal. .
Read the ADA. There are no certification requirements for the dog. You, however need to be handicapped in some way. Again the wording is vague even for that. Say if you were, no one can ask for proof . Hardly any handicapped persons, weather a visible or unseen handicap carry documentation for it. Same goes for the dog-NOT REQUIRED TO PROVE ANYTHING. Back to the OP. I wish you well in your attempt. I'd need a service dog if I road walked very far without shoes.

virgil
06-25-2011, 12:10
I don't really get it. I would ask --- why? For what purpose? To me the Barefoot Sisters are an interesting story, mainly because they sucessfully hiked the AT both NOBO and SOBO. That's a big deal. But the barefoot part just does nothing for me.

Nutbrown
06-25-2011, 12:31
i think you got your little coment thing all wrong it should say god is love gives you joy happenist purpose goal ect... iam sure it was just a type-o

This is the 1st time I have seen anyone comment negatively on a quote someone chose to put on their signature. You should keep your opinions to yourself. Stay on topic, and we can all get allong.

mistiaggie
07-04-2011, 23:00
We thru'd the FT this winter. You could do it barefoot but there is a lot...A LOT of road walking, particularly in the Panhandle. Consider the 5-finger things for that. There is also a lot of crushed limestone dikes and levees, so consider that.

That said, there are definitely things to be worked on for the FT but I feel like the more people hike it the more it will be recognized that changes need to happen.

mistiaggie
07-04-2011, 23:02
Oh, we did not see a single coral snake, but we did see a giant eastern diamondback in Big Cypress and several water moccasins. And you might as well go barefoot in Apalachicola because there is water everywhere and you'll be taking boots off left and right.

JoelHikingDude
09-28-2011, 18:17
I also have found many sections up here to be horribly blazed. I been lost on the FT at some point in every section I have hiked.

I got lost 3 times between South end of Ocala and Alexander springs. I walked backwards 1/2 mile 2 times.

max patch
09-28-2011, 18:38
Any thru who wants to hike with his dog can have the dog boarded while they do the GSMNP. Same thing with BSP. Costs but that kinda goes with the territory.

WingedMonkey
09-28-2011, 18:44
Any thru who wants to hike with his dog can have the dog boarded while they do the GSMNP. Same thing with BSP. Costs but that kinda goes with the territory.

Sorry Max, Florida Trail forum.

:sun

WingedMonkey
09-28-2011, 18:47
I got lost 3 times between South end of Ocala and Alexander springs. I walked backwards 1/2 mile 2 times.

I have to ask. Have you been on any of the FT outside of the Ocala?

Ladytrekker
09-28-2011, 19:14
Well you are talking about the FT not the AT so the barefoot sisters won't help you there is no snow on the FT which is when they wore boots and then they also wore sandals alot and hiked barefoot alot. The FT is different because there is some or considerable road walking and asphalt is pretty hard on your feet. And then there are areas as in Big Cypress that is usually about knee deep in water with critters and not knowing what you are stepping on would be the biggest factor there. I think it could be done but you would have some challenges. Start out barefoot just take something to put on your feet when you hit areas where you really benefit from shoes.