PDA

View Full Version : How about SD Vaporlight 2 ??

brotheral
05-26-2011, 18:26
Hello all !! Been away working for a few months. Now it's time to play :sun
I've been re-outfitting to do some backpacking again.
Next item to purchase is a "fairly light" tent for myself. I have a Sierra Designs Nomad 5 tent for car camping with 2-4 people. It's been awesome. Sat through many rain storms w/o any problems. I'm 5'11" and weigh 190 lbs. I've been strongly considering a SD Vaporlight 2. I want some extra room. Can't stand being cramped. It's under 4#... I'm not intersted in Tarptents, Hammocks, or tents that require hiking poles. I'll be doing 2 day to maybe a week or two trips. I'm not intersted in logging alot of miles each day. I just love to experience the great outdoors while taking my good old time.
Amazon has it for 195.00 and footprint for 31.00.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Happy Trails !! BrotherAL

Limeman
05-26-2011, 20:25
Hi. I would think that for your purposes, it will do nicely. It is small for two, but you'll be solo, correct? If so, then it should be just OK. Backpackinglight.com has a review of this tent. They measured the trail weight (tent body, fly and poles) at 3lbs, 7 ounces, and had plenty of positive things to say about the over-all space inside due to the near vertical walls from the pole setup (although the internal length is a bit tight at just 83"). The only real issues they mentioned, other than no vents in the fly to help with ventilation and the smallish vestibule (8 sq ft), was that the fly lets in rain into the tent when you enter/exit during storms. But this is the issue with many single-door, front entry tents, so if that is not a problem for you, I'd say go for it.

brotheral
05-26-2011, 21:28
Thanks Limeman... i'll go to backpackinglihht.com and check it out...