PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness info

Sam Bar
05-26-2011, 20:19
Hey all, newbie here. New to here, not hiking. I'm living in Maine now and interested in doing the 100 mile wilderness. Looking for info, input etc...
How long for an average hiker? Elevation changes? How difficult. Very I understand. Anyhelp would be great. Thanks, John

brian039
05-26-2011, 20:31
First 30 miles North of Monson are pretty tough and you're carrying a lot of food. The sign says to bring 10 days of food but it can be done in 7 for the average person. There's one resupply at Whitehouse Landing, my guidebook was destroyed on my thru or I'd give you an idea how far into the Wilderness it was. Trail isn't too bad as far as elevation gain after the first 30 miles but sometimes the trail is really muddy and rooty which will slow you down. Do Katahdin too if you have time.

Cookerhiker
05-26-2011, 21:28
Hey all, newbie here. New to here, not hiking. I'm living in Maine now and interested in doing the 100 mile wilderness. Looking for info, input etc...
How long for an average hiker? Elevation changes? How difficult. Very I understand. Anyhelp would be great. Thanks, John

As to difficulty, it depends on your frame of reference. Compared to the AT in southern/western Maine, it's noticably easier. The highest point I believe is Whitecap Mountain but the ascent up it (NOBO) is gradual. There are a few steep streches in the 100 Mile Wilderness but they're not as long or as many feet of elevation gained as further south. I generally agree with Brian that most of the harder ups/downs are in the first (southernmost) 30 miles although Nesuntabunt and Little Boardman are both steep.

Some parts are easy. When I hiked it in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117001) as part of a section hike from Gorham, I had 2 15 mile days and one 17 miler. I did the whole Monson-to-Abol Bridge in 7 days.

The other thing to keep in mind is stream fords - I lost count how many there are but be prepared. Some were easy, a few were tougher - Long Pond Stream comes to mind. I hiked it in September; I believe if you hike in June or even July, the streams are swifter, the fords more tenuous.

10-K
05-26-2011, 22:02
It's not bad at all - I made it from Monson to Abol Bridge in 4.5 days which included a stop at White House Landing and a late start the next morning.

The roots will get you if you don't have your head in the game....other than that you can move pretty quick most of the way, especially the last 70-75 miles.

weary
05-26-2011, 22:13
The 100-miles is really pretty easy, as mountain hiking goes. I usually take 10 days to do the miles, but that is because there are a lot of things to explore on side trails -- wild summit ridge ponds, fascinating canyons and water falls, and side trails to interesting summits.

I usually carry some minimal fishing gear. Some of the wildest trout available anywhere live in the streams and ponds found in the 100 miles. They are some of the few streams and ponds remaining in the nation that have never been stocked, thus the strains of fish you can catch are identical to those harvested by Henry Thoreau in his wanderings through Maine, and by the earliest settlers. to Central Maine.

It's just a wonderful place to visit. And it's why it is so sad that so many are proud of doing 15 and 17, even 20 mile days, unaware of all they are missing.

10-K
05-26-2011, 22:14
It's just a wonderful place to visit. And it's why it is so sad that so many are proud of doing 15 and 17, even 20 mile days, unaware of all they are missing.

Don't start with that Weary... HYOH...

Shutterbug
05-26-2011, 22:35

The 100 Mile Wilderness is one of my favorite places to hike. I have hiked all or part of it in 5 of the past 6 years. How difficult it is depends on your conditioning and the weather.

The most reliable information about the 100 Mile Wilderness is from the Trail Maps available from the Maine Appalachian Trail Club -- http://www.matc.org/ I wouldn't hike without one.

I agree with Weary that unless one has a reason to hurry, 8 to 10 days in the Wilderness is a great experience. Personally, I prefer to hike from north to south, but either way is great.

I have found October to be the best time with September being second. A couple of years ago, I scheduled my hike in August -- it was awful due to heat, humidity, rain and bugs.

If you enjoy seeing wildlife, there are moose, bears, foxes, beavers, and lots of other animals. There are also a lot of birds -- I love to listen to the loons at night.

The trail itself isn't well maintained (compared to trails in west).

If you have specific questions, I will be glad to respond.

weary
05-26-2011, 22:46
Don't start with that Weary... HYOH...
I simply supply whatever information I have that will enable those who hike the section to experience the most in each section, if they so choose.

I've hiked the 100 miles many times. Initially, I thought of it as an interesting walk through low summits. Over the years I've learned a lot that I've found fascinating and when people ask I report what I've learned in case others might find it fascinating also.

I could write a small book about the 100 miles -- it's history, the unique nature of its fisheries, the story of its trails. My very brief mention of its fisheries stuck in my mind, because it was only relatively recently that I learned how very rare they are.

10-K
05-26-2011, 22:53
I simply supply whatever information I have that will enable those who hike the section to experience the most in each section, if they so choose.

I've hiked the 100 miles many times. Initially, I thought of it as an interesting walk through low summits. Over the years I've learned a lot that I've found fascinating and when people ask I report what I've learned in case others might find it fascinating also.

I could write a small book about the 100 miles -- it's history, the unique nature of its fisheries, the story of its trails. My very brief mention of its fisheries stuck in my mind, because it was only relatively recently that I learned how very rare they are.

I can appreciate that.... It's the part about being sad for people that hike differently that I reacted too.

You're entitled to your opinion - my apologies.

Migrating Bird
05-27-2011, 07:58
Thanks to a PM to Weary last year, I fished my way through the 100 MW (and as far as Andover) and explored Gulf Hagas. I am very interested in the history of the areas I hike as well. I saw a piece of a kitchen wood stove sticking out of a bank by Wilson stream - how did it get there? what meals were cooked on it? Another time, I worked my way around a huge blow down, as I rounded the upturned stump, there were a number of old tin cans and bottles uncovered under the stump, most likely from some long ago logging camp. Made my hike so much more memorable.