PDA

View Full Version : GPS Waypoints for Delorme

Chance09
05-27-2011, 10:03
Hello there, I just got a PN-60 and was wondering if anyways has a route/waypoints already laid out. I found the ones on here for Garmin but don't think they are compatible. Any advice or suggestions? I'm still playing with it and getting used to it so far.

Thanks in advance.

leaftye
05-27-2011, 11:38
Can't you use GPSBabel to convert them to a format suitable for the Delorme?

Sly
05-27-2011, 13:25
AS far as I can tell you should be able to use the gpx files with a fre program such as EasyGPS

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=947764&postcount=2

Buffalo Skipper
05-27-2011, 14:17
I have a PN30 and I have found that importing a gpx file is very easy

Chance09
05-27-2011, 21:30
Buffalo - hmmm did you have to do anything to it? was the gpx format ok? i tried to load a track and it didn't list gpx as one of the formats. I guess i just need to play with it some more.

58starter
05-28-2011, 19:26
I have the P-40 and have used it from springer to Elk park. It is easy to use.
where do you want to hike from? just go to route on your computer and plot from x to y if any questions PM me. I love my Delorme.

Chance09
06-02-2011, 22:28
realized I was trying to load the route as a map and that's why it wasn't working. Thanks for the help. The program doesn't seem to be as hard to use as it looked at first glance.

Buffalo Skipper
06-03-2011, 10:09
Lots of people complain saying the Topo USA software is awkward and hard to learn with a steep learning curve. It is not laid in a typical "Windows" format. It is not hard to use, and in fact is extermely versatile, it just takes a little playing with to make work.

For a GPX file, go to the DRAW tab, click on the "File..." button, then choose the "Import" button on the far right.

GPX files are not complicated, and in fact can be edited with any text editor. Once you get the hang of them, you can create your own files. They are simply a collection of points which may or may not be connected. So they could be waypoints (like the one I found which had every shelter on the AT), or it could be a connection of points making a track, which can then be followed.

I believe that the DeLorme system (Topo USA and the PN series GPS units) are more versatile than other units, but that is just my opinion. The software format is a little different, but once you get it, it is fairly easy to use. And the ability to print any map with added waypoints is neat also. I have access to a color laser print capable of taking a 11"x17" sheet of map paper, so I can print my own waterproof maps as I need them.

Let me know if I can help further.

Chance09
06-07-2011, 14:02
Buffalo, I would agree with most, if not all of your points. That was why i bought the delorme for the ability to load different maps in different formats and the program.

What all the reviews didn't mentions was how daunting it looks at first.

Reminds me of my GIS class in college that I ended up dropping out of lol