PDA

View Full Version : Syd (Not THAT Vicious) Nisbet has died

The Old Fhart
01-29-2005, 23:18
I just received word that Syd Not THAT Vicious died January 5th, 2005 at his home in NC. I hiked parts of the A.T. with him in 1988, 1989, and 1990 and really enjoyed his company. We still kept in touch occasionally over the years. He had hiked the A.T. about 4½ times since 1980 and I sure that many of you on this site ran into him at one time or another. Right now I believe the plan is at Trail Days to have his friends meet and say a few words about him.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-29-2005, 23:38
Met Syd in Hanover Cabin. That was some story because a vagrant man was in there with me alone and had me nervous. Syd walked in at dusk saying he was ending up his hike in Hanover.

October 1985.

Sad to hear, he wasn't that old. I guess we are all Trail legends of sorts to each other...

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 14:19
Damn. I knew him well.I'm not surprised but saddened none the less.

TJ aka Teej
01-30-2005, 21:21
I just received word that Syd Not THAT Vicious died January 5th, 2005 at his home in NC.
Syd's hiking a higher trail now. Thanks for letting us know, OF.

Blister
01-31-2005, 00:19
I also knew Syd very well. I havn't seen him since trail daze in 2000. The last picture I have of him, crawling out of his very weary tent with my bikini top on. First of all he came across it drying on my clothes line, probably in a drunken fun state where he tied it to his head and proceeded to pass out with it, emerging the next morning wearing it like a bonnet. Heck I even worked with him on Stratton in Vermont and have some pretty funny stories to tell. I know that we are all on this earth for some given time, it still saddens me when those whom I have known pass on to the next level, whatever that may be. I'll raise my glass and cheer him in hopes that he has found the most spectacular trail of them all.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2005, 01:51
Any hiker that has taken a wrestlers name and turned it into a trail name had to be fun guy. :D

The Old Fhart
01-31-2005, 02:02
Not familiar with the wrestler, Dew. The name came from Syd Vicious of the punk rock band The Sex Pistols. I'm sure Syd, at 135 pounds, would get a chuckle out of the comparison to the wrestler. :)

Mountain Dew
01-31-2005, 02:10
Well, I'm sure that the Sex Pistols singer got the name from the wrestler as well. ;)

Blister
01-31-2005, 02:56
Trust me , he didn't get it from a guy who ran around in a ring. His circus might have been the trail for a time. Dew, please no more cantor. A friend is a friend no matter how many years have past. Let those of us whom know do the joking. Please do not make jest of a man you have never met and has past.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2005, 03:37
Blister, "Trust me , he didn't get it from a guy who ran around in a ring. His circus might have been the trail for a time. Dew, please no more cantor. A friend is a friend no matter how many years have past. Let those of us whom know do the joking. Please do not make jest of a man you have never met and has past." -- Oh get real and lighten up. Stop with the incoherent BS. Cantor ? Use the proper word when trying to pin it on me atleast. I made jest of him ? If that is what you got from my posts then you are sadly mistaken. I made the comment that if any hiker was named after a wrestler then he must have been fun. You consider that jest or cantor ? Hardly. Old Fhart corrected me in my guess about his trail name. Fhart even went on to say this of my comments regarding his trail name.... "I'm sure Syd, at 135 pounds, would get a chuckle out of the comparison to the wrestler." I was SIMPLY saying I thought he had a really cool trail name and that he must have been a fun guy because of it. I'm also sorry for those that lost a friend Blister.