PDA

View Full Version : ? for anyone who has...

4shot
05-27-2011, 19:58
thru-hiked. My wife and I just finished a short section hike from Davenport Gap into Hot Springs, wrapping up on Wednesday (5/25). Along the way and into HS at Elmer's we met 7-8 people who said they were going to Katahdin (and not flipping).:eek: They all started mid to late April. While I ran the numbers and it is doable in purely mathematical terms, I was surprised that there was anybody on the trail that was trying to thru. Just curious, were any of y'all who finished in HS at this time (late May) during your hike?

fwiw, Max Patch and Snowbird were both as awesome (or perhaps moreso) as I remembered them to be. and I had forgotten what a 3000 ft. climb was like:(. Ran into two groups of trail maintainers along the way...NC has impeccably groomed trails. hats off to the Carolina mountain club. And, for the first time in my life, I made it to a shelter (Groundhog Creek) just beforethe thunderstorm.

WingedMonkey
05-27-2011, 20:22
I was in Hot Springs on May 11 of 1995 and there were still a lot with me and behind me.

rambunny
05-27-2011, 21:14
yes,when you do the math figure in somewhere about the Shennys you find yourself doing 20's fairly regularly and in PA once your out of the gaps your on the ridges,big miles are easier,of course the White's &the 1st 50 of Maine slow you down,but yes it is doable. All things imagined are doable,it just takes the right mind set.

4shot
05-28-2011, 08:38
Rambunny, I figure you have met as many thru-hikers as about anybody on here. What is the latest date you have had a successful NOBO thru-hiker (not including people who flip) stay at your place in Atkins? No reason for wanting to know other than just being curious. Like I said, I figured the little section I just did would have been empty except for people like myself just out for a couple days.

10-K
05-28-2011, 08:50
Definitely doable.....easy even. I've often thought if I ever did a nobo I would wait until May to leave to miss the crowds.

Springer to Hot Springs is 272 miles leaving 1909 miles.

Figure May 15th (about when you saw them) to October 15t is 5 full months to go 1909 miles.....

5 months is ~150 days... 1909/150 = 12.75 miles per day.

10-K
05-28-2011, 08:52
Just noticed I was off by about 10 days but 1909 miles in 140 days is still just a bit over 13.5 miles a day to finish by October 15th.