PDA

View Full Version : Pack Manufacturers Philosophy

stranger
12-04-2002, 21:48
I have been working in the pack industry since 1994 and felt I could shed some light on the subject. Remember a pack is not simply something to carry your gear in...the pack actually "does" something. A frameless pack offers no support, fit or transfer of weight what-so-ever to your body. A pack that does not fit and transfer weight to your hips and lumbar will fatigue you more than a pack that does. The reason for a solid suspension is to take whatever amount of weight you have on your back and transfer it to the strongest muscles in your body, your hips and legs. Believe it or not...20 pounds in a Go-Lite is more fatiguing than 20 pounds in a 4-5 lb suspension pack. Anyone who disagrees can go to the gym and see how much they can bench press, then see how much they can leg press...it's easier for your lower body to carry 25 lbs than it is for your upper body to carry 20. This being said...I do think every manufacturer could lighten up a little, but they are so hell bent on quality it probably won't happen anytime soon.

It's the consumers responsibility to find the right pack for themselves...not to complain about the weight of the wrong pack after they spent $400 on it. Unfortunately most people in the outdoor retail scene aren't so aware of the toll of long distance hiking...so you have to make sure YOU know what you're looking for. Good luck!

stranger
12-04-2002, 21:57
Sorry...one last thing. In 9 years of custom pack fitting and 2000 miles of hiking I have never seen a thru-hiker put a pack on correctly. Think about it this way...You may have driven a car for 100,000 miles, but that doesn't mean you understand how it works, you just get upset when it breaks down. If you learn to use your pack correctly it can make the world of difference. Good luck!

Streamweaver
12-05-2002, 02:40
For a load as light as 20lbs a foam pad is plenty strong enuff
to transfer the weight from your shoulders to your hips.Ive made a few framless packs and they work fine for light loads using my ridgerest as a frame. Streamweaver

chris
12-05-2002, 09:55
Okay, stranger, I'll bite: What is the correct way to put on a pack?

stranger
12-05-2002, 19:14
Sorry bro...wasn't fishing, but seriously take time to understand how your gear works.