PDA

View Full Version : Zero Days and (animal) thieves

brill540
05-28-2011, 10:18
A beginner question here,

I was thinking about carrying a small day pack with me. That way, for towns that I would like to visit, I could stash my pack somewhere near the trail, and walk around town without having to carry much weight.

But is this a good idea? If I hide it off the trail, should I expect my sleeping bag to be torn apart by animals? Or if I string it up in a tree, should I worry about someone seeing it and stealing it?

Anyone out there have a similar idea or experience?

Thanks!

Blissful
05-28-2011, 10:29
I carried my pack with me unless I was staying town and had a secure place to put it

hikerboy57
05-28-2011, 10:30
your pack is your life. I wouldnt leave it anywhere out of your sight unless you keep it locked up somewhere(hostel, motel). not to mention packing a daypack is just extra weight. many packs come with a detachable toplid that can be used for dayhikes.

10-K
05-28-2011, 10:33
I do it all the time. Not for hours and hours or all day.

But, definitely for an hour or two.

Use your head.......

moldy
05-28-2011, 10:33
I just ask if I can stash it at a hiker friendly business. Store, gas station, motel. Hey man, I'm a hiker on the trail. "Can I stash my pack here while I check out our town?" I have never had a problem.

10-K
05-28-2011, 10:35
I just ask if I can stash it at a hiker friendly business. Store, gas station, motel. Hey man, I'm a hiker on the trail. "Can I stash my pack here while I check out our town?" I have never had a problem.

I did that once and when I got back the place had closed and was locked up - with my pack inside... Fortunately the owner's son came by and unlocked the door.

brill540
05-28-2011, 10:37

The simplest things are always the most profound

Blissful
05-28-2011, 10:37
Well at least it was nice and secure, 10K

:)

10-K
05-28-2011, 10:55
Well at least it was nice and secure, 10K

:)

It was a bit maddening... I could peer in the door and see my pack just sitting there. :)

Carl in FL
05-28-2011, 12:18
Simple Risk/Reward analysis. What would you do if you came back to a bare hanging
cord? How inconvenient would that be? Is it worth the reward of strolling about
without the pack?

I'd be going back checking on it every 15 minutes, so for me, it's a non-starter.

Slo-go'en
05-28-2011, 16:59
I often stash my pack in the woods if I want to go to a store or town less than a mile or so from the trail and will be gone for only an hour or two at most. Farther then that requires a hitch and then I take my pack with me, so they know I'm a hiker.

I walk a 100 yards or so up the trail and then stash the pack behind a fallen log and maybe throw some duff or branches over it too. Just make sure it can't be seen from the trail and be sure to remember where you stashed it!

10-K
05-28-2011, 17:43
I often stash my pack in the woods if I want to go to a store or town less than a mile or so from the trail and will be gone for only an hour or two at most. Farther then that requires a hitch and then I take my pack with me, so they know I'm a hiker.

I walk a 100 yards or so up the trail and then stash the pack behind a fallen log and maybe throw some duff or branches over it too. Just make sure it can't be seen from the trail and be sure to remember where you stashed it!

Yep, that's what I'm talking about too...

So are you home now or still moving up the trail?

max patch
05-28-2011, 18:34
You don't need a daypack and leaving your pack hidden in the woods is a bad habit you don't want to start.

Slo-go'en
05-29-2011, 09:16
Yep, that's what I'm talking about too...

So are you home now or still moving up the trail?

10 K, I'm back home now. It was starting to get too hot for me and I was definately ready to go home. 500 miles in one go is about all I can handle...

I once accidently left my trekking poles at a road side trail crossings when hitching into town - they were still stuck in the ground where I left them when I came back 2-3 hours later. But this was a somewhat obscure road crossing with no parking lot, which might have had something to do with them still being there.

You definately don't want to leave your pack unattended in plain sight (be it trail, road crossing, parking lot, sidewalk, etc.,) However, stashing it out of sight in the woods (making sure no one is watching you do it) while you go to town or a near-by store for awhile isn't going to be a problem - just so long as YOU can find it again!

WalksInDark
05-29-2011, 12:42
If you are going to leave your pack in the woods take a couple of precautions: make sure that you leave your pack somewhere where you can find it...even if you come back to get it in the dark....or due to unforeseen circumstances, days later; putting a pack in a ravine or depression is always iffy depending upon rain ---if you have never watched the quantity and velocity of water running downhill during/shortly after a severe thunderstorm, you will be very surprised; lastly, even if you attach your pack straps to a tree trunk, it won't much matter if a bear/raccoon/possum/skunk decides to chew it up for the salt in the fabric or the delicious food smells coming from inside.

Last thought, once you retrieve your pack, slowly and carefully take everything out and give the bag a good shake to make sure that no critters have moved in while you were away. Snakes and spiders seem to love to hang out in back packs left on the ground for awhile.

brian039
05-29-2011, 13:26
On town days you should have a light pack anyways, plus you'll be hitching into town (hopefully with your pack) which negates the need to stash your pack in the woods. In town you'll be doing one of two things, resupply or staying at a hostel (or both). If you're planning on staying at a hostel then just simply have whoever is giving you a ride to drop you off at the hostel then you have a place to stash your pack. If going in for just a resupply then have them drop you off at the grocery store and leave your pack outside the store, resupply, then hitch back out of town.

Bronk
05-30-2011, 00:36
I once hid my pack behind a tree near a road...when I came back 20 minutes later it was gone. It was a good excuse to buy all new gear though...