PDA

View Full Version : NYC to Trailhead???

q-tip
05-28-2011, 18:03
NE1 know how to get to the trailhead in So. Vermont with mass transit from NYC, and how about getting back from Canada after an E2E????

Alligator
05-28-2011, 18:18
Peter Pan Trailways goes to Williamstown, MA. That would put you fairly close to get a shuttle to Southern VT or there is bus service (local) from there that goes to the trail in MA.

There might be a closer way to do it though, I just happened to be looking at this option.

GPK
05-29-2011, 00:56
Take a bus to Williamstown, Ma. , then it's only a couple of miles at the most to the Pine Cobble trail head. When you get to North Troy after hiking ~280 miles you can call me, or any other shuttler, to shuttle you to White River Jct, VT to get a bus back to NYC.

I'll be sobo on the LT from 6/23 to 7/18 , but I can usually shuttle any other times.

Good Luck - gpk

stranger
05-29-2011, 01:32
Amtrak goes out of Penn, and services Pittsfield, MA, which is the closet station to the southern terminus. Amtrak continues up to Burlington and St. Albans.

As others have said, Peter Pan, which is now called something else I believe, services Williamstown, which has the Pine Cobble Trail to the southern terminus.

Personally speaking, I think it's easier to plan to get to the northern terminus on a date you know you will start, as opposed to a date you hope to finish. Getting to Journeys End is more challenging than Williamstown or North Adams, so it's easier to do when you have a fixed date, something you cannot do if it's the end of your hike in all likelyhood.

If I were going to do it going nobo, I would take the train to Pittsfield, cab it to the AT crossing, or organize a shuttle. Upon finishing, arrange shuttle from North Troy to Burlington, or hitch, then Amtrak to NYC.

Amtrak line is the Vermonter

WingedMonkey
05-29-2011, 14:20
On Amtrak only the Lake Shore Limited serves Pittsfield. You either have to overnight in Albany or go to Boston first on a different train. I use it from Florida but would be a pain just from New York.

Peter Pan bus is now Bonanza.

stranger
06-03-2011, 01:15
Whoops, thanks bro...sorry for posting incorrect information!