PDA

View Full Version : Georgia in July

nu2hike
05-28-2011, 22:25
I had a 5 day section hike planned for the second week in June, but came down with severe bronchitis. I'm now thinking of trying to go the second week of July instead! What can I expect in terms of temps and water availability and general hiking conditions for Georgia in July?
thanks

10-K
05-28-2011, 22:33
I had a 5 day section hike planned for the second week in June, but came down with severe bronchitis. I'm now thinking of trying to go the second week of July instead! What can I expect in terms of temps and water availability and general hiking conditions for Georgia in July?
thanks

I'm going to be hiking the Bartram Trail the second week of July and I'm planning for H-O-T.....

Trailweaver
05-29-2011, 00:25
Hot as blazes and very humid also. Additionally, in July there may be a water shortage if there hasn't been a good rain recently. You should plan to bring extra water bottles in case you have to carry water.

World-Wide
05-29-2011, 02:42
thanks

nu2...I currently live in Macon, Ga and in May we've been breaking temperature records and haven't had rain in about 3 weeks. There have been some storms North of here in the area where you'll probably be hiking, but nothing of great accumulation. I'd pay close attention to your water source availability and fill up when you can. More than likely, it's going to be HOT!!! Have a great hike....W-W

10-K
05-29-2011, 07:40
But, take heart... It won't be as hot as August. :)

FatMan
05-29-2011, 07:46
At elevation you will have highs in the low 80s with high humidity. Not bad with a breeze but you will drip in sweat without one. Temps will be as much as 5-8 degrees warming in the gaps. Lows at night will be about 60. You will be hiking the green tunnel so shade will be your friend.

Water has been flowing very well this year and as long as we don't see a major drop in rainfall in June water should be OK mid July. Of course the seasonal seeps will not be flowing but most water sources at/near the shelters will be.

Your plan should be get up and hit the trail at 6am and make camp no later than 3pm. Noon to 3 will be hot but 3 to 6 will be even hotter.

Enjoy!

Egads
05-29-2011, 08:24
I advise you to drive further up to GSMNP where the temps will be 10-15* cooler at elevation

Sierra Echo
05-29-2011, 08:38
Hot and humid and most likely dry. Ga is already experiencing "drought like conditions" in many areas.

nu2hike
05-29-2011, 09:24
I did a few miles of the Georgia section at the end of August last year! I was thinking temps would be about the same! We had no problems with water, but wasn't sure of the conditions this year!
I'm really bummed about having to postpone, but I'm afraid I won't be physically able to make it. Not only due to respiratory problems, but I haven't been able to exercise and my conditioning has fallen way off! But having said all that I still haven't given up hope!:D

Spogatz
05-29-2011, 23:49
nu2...I currently live in Macon, Ga and in May we've been breaking temperature records and haven't had rain in about 3 weeks. There have been some storms North of here in the area where you'll probably be hiking, but nothing of great accumulation. I'd pay close attention to your water source availability and fill up when you can. More than likely, it's going to be HOT!!! Have a great hike....W-W

I grew up in Macon. I can remember when we would get snow almost every year there and it would get very cold in the winter. Things are different there now.

blackbird04217
05-30-2011, 00:23
Your plan should be get up and hit the trail at 6am and make camp no later than 3pm. Noon to 3 will be hot but 3 to 6 will be even hotter.

Maybe it's different from my perspective (grew up in Maine) but Noon to 3 would be the hottest part of the day. Sure the heat doesn't die down quickly after 3.

STICK
05-30-2011, 01:16
I will be hiking Neels Gap to just past the border in mid June. I am guessing it will be quite hot then but I am hoping the water will be ok...

FatMan
05-30-2011, 09:08
Maybe it's different from my perspective (grew up in Maine) but Noon to 3 would be the hottest part of the day. Sure the heat doesn't die down quickly after 3.It's the green tunnel effect that delays the heat and keeps the highest temps on the trail here in GA til around 3. Also, our sunrise is about 1.5 hours after yours. Hitting the trail at 6 here means hiking before sunrise at dawn.

FatMan
05-30-2011, 09:19
I will be hiking Neels Gap to just past the border in mid June. I am guessing it will be quite hot then but I am hoping the water will be ok...Water is running fine right now and won't change in the next two weeks. I see some posts above from my fellow Georgians who are speaking of near drought conditions. We have had ample rain the past couple of weeks up here in the mountains. but I understand the reason for their comments because I have had very little rain down at my suburban Atlanta home in the past month.

As for the temps, it might not be too bad. Mid June can be quite pleasant. Of course it can be quite hot too. While the folks down in Atlanta are complaining about temps in the 90s, it topped out here at 79 yesterday with a pleasant breeze. Enjoy your hike.

STICK
05-30-2011, 13:30
Thanks for the update Fatman.

Sierra Echo
05-30-2011, 13:49
I would suggest that everyone do independent research on their own comparing the temptures in the area the AT runs on. As of right now, they are all the same as it currently is here in Metro-Atlanta.

FatMan
05-30-2011, 14:41
I would suggest that everyone do independent research on their own comparing the temptures in the area the AT runs on. As of right now, they are all the same as it currently is here in Metro-Atlanta.I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you suggesting that the temps up here on the AT are currently the same as Metro Atlanta? You jest of course. I am sitting in my home 200 yards from the AT at Grassy Gap at an elevation of 2970 and as I write this post temperature is 79 degrees. I just checked the reported temperature at my home in Gwinnett (30044) and the temp is 90.

Sierra Echo
05-30-2011, 15:02
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you suggesting that the temps up here on the AT are currently the same as Metro Atlanta? You jest of course. I am sitting in my home 200 yards from the AT at Grassy Gap at an elevation of 2970 and as I write this post temperature is 79 degrees. I just checked the reported temperature at my home in Gwinnett (30044) and the temp is 90.

Well then no doubt you live on Georgias only arctic tundra.

FatMan
05-30-2011, 15:37
Well then no doubt you live on Georgias only arctic tundra.Clearly an internet hiker who has no clue.

Mountain Shuttler
05-30-2011, 16:14
Just talked to Pirate up at Neel Gap. The temperature up there at a little over 3100 feet in elevation was a toasty 77 degrees. Here at my house in Dahlonega at around 1400 feet it's 86 degrees. What can we learn from this? Oh yeah,that it's usually several degrees cooler at higher elevations in the daytime! It always amazes me that people in Rome,Macon,Buford,Atlanta,etc. can predict temperatures on the AT since none of it even comes close to these areas But then what do I know because I only go to these places several times a week actually hiking and doing shuttles. BTW there is plenty of water up there now as opposed to some other areas in GA that again have nothing to do with the AT. July temps on the trail can be hot and humid,but usually no more than mid 80's for highs and 55-65 for lows. I have lived in Dahlonega for 11 years and been coming to the mountains since 1972 so maybe just maybe I know what I'm talking about although I'm sure some of the experts on here will know more. Thanks FatMan for knowing what the hell you're talking about! That's pretty rare on here!

Sierra Echo
05-30-2011, 16:32
Clearly an internet hiker who has no clue.

What does a FatMan know about hiking? Well other then to the refrigerator that is! LOL

Toli
05-30-2011, 16:38
Just talked to Pirate up at Neel Gap. The temperature up there at a little over 3100 feet in elevation was a toasty 77 degrees. Here at my house in Dahlonega at around 1400 feet it's 86 degrees. What can we learn from this? Oh yeah,that it's usually several degrees cooler at higher elevations in the daytime! It always amazes me that people in Rome,Macon,Buford,Atlanta,etc. can predict temperatures on the AT since none of it even comes close to these areas But then what do I know because I only go to these places several times a week actually hiking and doing shuttles. BTW there is plenty of water up there now as opposed to some other areas in GA that again have nothing to do with the AT. July temps on the trail can be hot and humid,but usually no more than mid 80's for highs and 55-65 for lows. I have lived in Dahlonega for 11 years and been coming to the mountains since 1972 so maybe just maybe I know what I'm talking about although I'm sure some of the experts on here will know more. Thanks FatMan for knowing what the hell you're talking about! That's pretty rare on here!

+1... I live on a mountain between Neels and Woody Gap, and it was so cool last night, I had to get up and shut my windows... It is currently 78 degrees with a steady 5mph breeze... According to my Kestral 2000... Such is life in the North Georgia Mountains... :D

Mountain Shuttler
05-30-2011, 18:22
+1... I live on a mountain between Neels and Woody Gap, and it was so cool last night, I had to get up and shut my windows... It is currently 78 degrees with a steady 5mph breeze... According to my Kestral 2000... Such is life in the North Georgia Mountains... :D
We had our windows open last night too so I know what you mean!!!

FatMan
05-30-2011, 18:36
What does a FatMan know about hiking? Well other then to the refrigerator that is! LOLI have walked on the AT over 70 days this year. How's that letting your fingers do the walking on the keyboard going. LOL

For the record, I left my Grassy Gap home, which is between Gooch and Woody Gaps, at the end of the Braves game at 4:30. Just arrived back in Atlanta Suburban Hell (30044) about 20 minutes ago. Temps on the car thermometer as follows: Grassy Gap 78, Woody Gap 77, Dahlonega 90, Gainesville 90, Atlanta 93.

Mountain Shuttler
05-30-2011, 19:52
I have walked on the AT over 70 days this year. How's that letting your fingers do the walking on the keyboard going. LOL

For the record, I left my Grassy Gap home, which is between Gooch and Woody Gaps, at the end of the Braves game at 4:30. Just arrived back in Atlanta Suburban Hell (30044) about 20 minutes ago. Temps on the car thermometer as follows: Grassy Gap 78, Woody Gap 77, Dahlonega 90, Gainesville 90, Atlanta 93.
You are doing a job of pointing out the difference in temps FatMan! I live on the Chestatee River side of Crown Mountain and our high was 86 today,but we are usually a few degrees cooler than the square area of Dahlonega because of tree cover. Daytime highs at Woody and Neel Gaps usually run around 10-15 degrees cooler than in town.

Egads
05-31-2011, 06:10
Back to the OP's question. Hot, Humid, Buggy, Probably no water issues.

Mountain Shuttler
05-31-2011, 09:21
Back to the OP's question. Hot, Humid, Buggy, Probably no water issues.
As I stated earlier,it always amazes me how people in Atlanta or wherever else away from the trail know more about the conditions up here than those of us who actually live in the mountains! I go to the AT several times a week and can tell you that it's not hot & humid every day there in July. On July 4th 2009 the low at Neel Gap was 44 degrees. Below normal yes,but lows in the upper 50's and 60's are common. Also,the owner of Blood Mountain Cabins just below Neel Gap has been there for several years and has never recorded a daytime temperature higher than the mid 80's. Then again what would he know right because he only happens to live there. As for bugs,they're not nearly as bad up there as they are most other places and are usually much worse in the lower elevations of the Smokies!

Egads
05-31-2011, 19:07
As I stated earlier,it always amazes me how people in Atlanta or wherever else away from the trail know more about the conditions up here than those of us who actually live in the mountains! I go to the AT several times a week and can tell you that it's not hot & humid every day there in July. On July 4th 2009 the low at Neel Gap was 44 degrees. Below normal yes,but lows in the upper 50's and 60's are common. Also,the owner of Blood Mountain Cabins just below Neel Gap has been there for several years and has never recorded a daytime temperature higher than the mid 80's. Then again what would he know right because he only happens to live there. As for bugs,they're not nearly as bad up there as they are most other places and are usually much worse in the lower elevations of the Smokies!

Speaking from personal experience Bud. Weather like Internet personalities is unpredictable. Perhaps you can guarantee to the OP that he won't break out in a sweat hiking the AT in GA in July. I didn't think so.

Mountain Shuttler
05-31-2011, 22:20
Speaking from personal experience Bud. Weather like Internet personalities is unpredictable. Perhaps you can guarantee to the OP that he won't break out in a sweat hiking the AT in GA in July. I didn't think so.
First of all my name ain't Bud okay Atlanta Know It All. OP will sweat some in July,but it's not nearly as hot in the mountains as some flatlander city boys say it is. BTW I was up at Neel Gap twice today and will be there and around Springer this Thursday just as I will be several times in July. I can guarantee you that I have more PERSONAL EXPERIENCE in the GA Mountains than most people. Like I always say,I actually go to these places unlike some people who rely on second hand information and inaccurate weather forecasts!

10-K
05-31-2011, 22:42
Am I in deja vu land or did we not have this exact same discussion with the exact same tone about a year or so ago?

Toli
05-31-2011, 23:27
I have walked on the AT over 70 days this year. How's that letting your fingers do the walking on the keyboard going. LOL

Only 70 days??? I had that in by the end of March... Slacker :D... Is that how "Internet Hikers" thru hike the AT... 1 keystroke at a time :-?

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 08:32
Am I in deja vu land or did we not have this exact same discussion with the exact same tone about a year or so ago?
Probably,but then again haven't most things been discussed over and over again on here with varying opinions?

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 08:36
Only 70 days??? I had that in by the end of March... Slacker :D... Is that how "Internet Hikers" thru hike the AT... 1 keystroke at a time :-?
That's funny!

10-K
06-01-2011, 09:22
Probably,but then again haven't most things been discussed over and over again on here with varying opinions?

Oh yeah, it's just that arguing over the difference between temps in metro Atlanta and in the GA mountains is such a narrow subject that I'm surprised it came up again in the exact same way.

FatMan
06-01-2011, 10:46
Only 70 days??? I had that in by the end of March... Slacker :D... Is that how "Internet Hikers" thru hike the AT... 1 keystroke at a time :-?:lol Sadly I do have to spend time in my suburban hell home on occasion (like today) so I can afford the joy of mountain living and hiking. You should really take a rest from all that heavy hiking and come over and enjoy nice easy day hike, a cold one, and a good cigar if that is to your liking. I have a nice path from the back door to the AT. You too Mountain Shuttler.

You guys enjoy your "only arctic tundra in Georgia", it was 74 degrees at 8am this morning and will be mid to upper 90s today in suburban hell.

generoll
06-01-2011, 11:42
FWIW. I'll probably regret posting this, but here goes. I have a fairly active shuttle service here in Georgia and thought I'd pass this on. I've shuttled several section hikers to Springer or Amicalola in the past month. They've all put in the miles and done well and they've all shortened their hikes by a day or two and a shelter or two.

Take it for FWIW.

Egads
06-01-2011, 17:38

We haven't debated global warming yet. Just for the fun of it, Global Warming, Global Warming, Global Warming...:banana:banana:banana

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 19:09
Oh yeah, it's just that arguing over the difference between temps in metro Atlanta and in the GA mountains is such a narrow subject that I'm surprised it came up again in the exact same way.
True! I just like to let folks know that it is cooler in the mountains than most places because that's part of my job. For example this afternoon on my vehicle thermometer it was 93 in downtown Ellijay,86 at the entrance to Amicalola Falls SP,91 in Dahlonega,88 at my house near the Chestatee River,& 78 with a good breeze according to Pirate at Neel Gap. It was also 94 according to a customer of mine in Cincinnati who had heard it was in the 90's on the AT in Georgia. Just goes to show you the difference elevation & accuracy makes!

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 19:14
:lol Sadly I do have to spend time in my suburban hell home on occasion (like today) so I can afford the joy of mountain living and hiking. You should really take a rest from all that heavy hiking and come over and enjoy nice easy day hike, a cold one, and a good cigar if that is to your liking. I have a nice path from the back door to the AT. You too Mountain Shuttler.

You guys enjoy your "only arctic tundra in Georgia", it was 74 degrees at 8am this morning and will be mid to upper 90s today in suburban hell.
Thanks for the invite FatMan and I just might!

Toli
06-01-2011, 19:46
:lol Sadly I do have to spend time in my suburban hell home on occasion (like today) so I can afford the joy of mountain living and hiking. You should really take a rest from all that heavy hiking and come over and enjoy nice easy day hike, a cold one, and a good cigar if that is to your liking. I have a nice path from the back door to the AT. You too Mountain Shuttler.

ROAD TRIP!!! I'll deff take you up on that offer FatMan :sun
Maybe I can ride with Mountain Shuttler...lol...
PM you my contact info so we can set something up......

kanga
06-01-2011, 19:53
Clearly an internet hiker who has no clue.
actually, she gets out on a regular basis, probably more than most of us added up together.

kanga
06-01-2011, 19:58
n2, in july, you're looking at mid-90's and humid as all get out. water sources will most likely be insanely low as this year is shaping up hot as hell already. 97* in n.ga today. bring a filter because when the water sources become scarce, what you will find will be visited by every critter within several miles. plan on cameling up. wear clothing that wicks. and make sure to drink lots. dehydration around here is just as dangerous as hypothermia. i usually try to head to upper tn or va to hike during those times. ga is just too hot. besides, everything is dried up, brown, dusty, and hazy. not our best season.

kanga
06-01-2011, 20:02
by the way, op, should you hike a ga section in july, i would really be interested in your feedback by way of temps, water sources, etc.. thank you!

Day Glow
06-01-2011, 21:10
Hot, Hot, Hot.

I, too, and hiking in July [10 - 24] from Springer Mt, GA to Davenport... about 240 miles of trail. I'm trying to recover from severe bronchitis as well... had it since March 13. That's also the night I was ICU hospitalized with kidney failure... I'm just trying to get better before my hike.

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 21:43
ROAD TRIP!!! I'll deff take you up on that offer FatMan :sun
Maybe I can ride with Mountain Shuttler...lol...
PM you my contact info so we can set something up......
Sounds like a plan!

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 21:56
n2, in july, you're looking at mid-90's and humid as all get out. water sources will most likely be insanely low as this year is shaping up hot as hell already. 97* in n.ga today. bring a filter because when the water sources become scarce, what you will find will be visited by every critter within several miles. plan on cameling up. wear clothing that wicks. and make sure to drink lots. dehydration around here is just as dangerous as hypothermia. i usually try to head to upper tn or va to hike during those times. ga is just too hot. besides, everything is dried up, brown, dusty, and hazy. not our best season.
Wow! 97 huh? That's incredible especially since I've lived in Dahlonega 11 years and the hottest temperature we've ever had here at around 1400 ft. is also 97 and that was during the heat wave of August 2008. Highs at Neel Gap at around 3100 ft. during that time were in the low to mid 80's. I'll be glad to give updates on July temps because either myself or Pirate at Mountain Crossings will be sure to check them!

Egads
06-01-2011, 23:27
Wow! 97 huh? That's incredible especially since I've lived in Dahlonega 11 years and the hottest temperature we've ever had here at around 1400 ft. is also 97 and that was during the heat wave of August 2008. Highs at Neel Gap at around 3100 ft. during that time were in the low to mid 80's. I'll be glad to give updates on July temps because either myself or Pirate at Mountain Crossings will be sure to check them!

Perhaps a fact check is in order, the record high in Dalonega is over 105* F. It was 102* as recently as July 24, 2010.

Mountain Shuttler
06-01-2011, 23:54
Perhaps a fact check is in order, the record high in Dalonega is over 105* F. It was 102* as recently as July 24, 2010.
Wow,really that's incredible! I already stated that it's simply amazing how people in Atlanta or wherever else know more about the weather in the mountains than us locals. BTW it's DAHLONEGA sice you're talking about fact checks!

Egads
06-02-2011, 06:50
Hey MS,

Good luck with your shuttling service. Your condescending attitude will go far.

Egads

Sierra Echo
06-02-2011, 07:16
Wow,really that's incredible! I already stated that it's simply amazing how people in Atlanta or wherever else know more about the weather in the mountains than us locals. BTW it's DAHLONEGA sice you're talking about fact checks!

You've lived in DAHLONEGA for 11 years. I've got news for you. You aren't a local! :rolleyes:

FatMan
06-02-2011, 09:44
To the OP and others who would like to know trail conditions feel free to PM me a few days before your hike and I will let you know "real" current conditions at trail elevation as well as make myself available to help in any way. I also make my driveway available for safe parking. You can always park and walk to the trail a couple hundred yards away if you are not dead set on a starting or ending place. Grassy Gap in 1 mile north of Gooch Gap on the trail.

This thread has become so sad with all the misinformation. Sadly, misinformation is very common to Whiteblaze. I understand arguing differences of opinion, but conditions are factual. And what is being spewed as fact in so many posts here is simply wrong. What a shame.

My last post to this thread.
Enjoy your hike.

kanga
06-02-2011, 10:12
Hey MS,

Egads
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Mountain Shuttler
06-02-2011, 21:17
Hey MS,

Egads
Actually it's doing really well! I'm in my 5th year now a have many repeat customers,many who also tip me well because I give out ACCURATE INFORMATION concerning weather,trail conditions.lodging,food,outfitters,etc.IN THE MOUNTAINS Of GA,NC,TN,Etc. I have done shuttles as far north as Damascus and go to the Great Smokies quite often. You might even want to use my service sometime,but probably couldn't handle the rates or honesty! BTW temps this afternoon betweem 4 & 5 PM in the area were 83 at Neel Gap,93-94 in the Downtown Dahlonega Area & 89 at my house near the Chestatee. Amazing how it almost always seems to be cooler in the afternoon at higher elevations or around streams isn't it? Think this could happen in July?

Mountain Shuttler
06-02-2011, 21:29
You've lived in DAHLONEGA for 11 years. I've got news for you. You aren't a local! :rolleyes:
And you're from where? What part of the AT goes near there?
No I wasn't born in DAHLONEGA,but I have been coming to this area since 1972 so I know it better than most and I am a Georgia Native! Yourself? BTW,most true locals would just as soon outsiders stay out of the mountains anyway!

Sierra Echo
06-02-2011, 21:31
And you're from where? What part of the AT goes near there?
No I wasn't born in DAHLONEGA,but I have been coming to this area since 1972 so I know it better than most and I am a Georgia Native! Yourself? BTW,most true locals would just as soon outsiders stay out of the mountains anyway!

You don't need to know where I'm from. But let me tell you a little secret. A TRUE southerner knows that unless you are born in a specific area, you will never be accepted as a local. Bless your heart but you're not very smart!

Sierra Echo
06-02-2011, 21:34
Actually it's doing really well! I'm in my 5th year now a have many repeat customers,many who also tip me well because I give out ACCURATE INFORMATION concerning weather,trail conditions.lodging,food,outfitters,etc.IN THE MOUNTAINS Of GA,NC,TN,Etc. I have done shuttles as far north as Damascus and go to the Great Smokies quite often. You might even want to use my service sometime,but probably couldn't handle the rates or honesty! BTW temps this afternoon betweem 4 & 5 PM in the area were 83 at Neel Gap,93-94 in the Downtown Dahlonega Area & 89 at my house near the Chestatee. Amazing how it almost always seems to be cooler in the afternoon at higher elevations or around streams isn't it? Think this could happen in July?

I bet you $20 that Egads wouldn't get in a vehicle with you. Not even if you offered him a candy bar!

Mountain Shuttler
06-02-2011, 21:37
To the OP and others who would like to know trail conditions feel free to PM me a few days before your hike and I will let you know "real" current conditions at trail elevation as well as make myself available to help in any way. I also make my driveway available for safe parking. You can always park and walk to the trail a couple hundred yards away if you are not dead set on a starting or ending place. Grassy Gap in 1 mile north of Gooch Gap on the trail.

This thread has become so sad with all the misinformation. Sadly, misinformation is very common to Whiteblaze. I understand arguing differences of opinion, but conditions are factual. And what is being spewed as fact in so many posts here is simply wrong. What a shame.

My last post to this thread.
Enjoy your hike.
Thanks for being such a rarity on here FatMan. An honest person who actually knows what the hell they're talking about! I'll be glad to contact you in the future for ACCURATE Weather & Trail Conditions!

Mountain Shuttler
06-02-2011, 21:59
You don't need to know where I'm from. But let me tell you a little secret. A TRUE southerner knows that unless you are born in a specific area, you will never be accepted as a local. Bless your heart but you're not very smart!
I'd be bitter too if I didn't live in the mountains and was ashamed of where I'm from! BTW,I was born in Sylvania,GA. And You? This is way off subject,but I live in a beautiful home overlookiing the Chestatee River in Dahlonega and both my wife and myself own our own business's. Would you like to continue to talk about intelligence?

Mountain Shuttler
06-02-2011, 22:03
I bet you $20 that Egads wouldn't get in a vehicle with you. Not even if you offered him a candy bar!
I bet you a $100 that I would not shuttle you or him! That's the great thing about owning you own business!

Sierra Echo
06-02-2011, 22:45
I'd be bitter too if I didn't live in the mountains and was ashamed of where I'm from! BTW,I was born in Sylvania,GA. And You? This is way off subject,but I live in a beautiful home overlookiing the Chestatee River in Dahlonega and both my wife and myself own our own business's. Would you like to continue to talk about intelligence?

What part of you don't need to know anything about me or my family are you having a hard time understanding??
Yes I currently live in Buford and no I was not born in Buford. And I honestly don't care where YOU live.

Sierra Echo
06-02-2011, 22:46
I bet you a $100 that I would not shuttle you or him! That's the great thing about owning you own business!

Do you honestly think I would get in a vehicle with you? LMAO!!!
Oh where do you people come from?!

HiKen2011
06-03-2011, 15:20
I'm a 52 yr veteran of North GA. I can honestly say it gets hot. Very hot. I live at the base of a 3000 ft peak and today it is 96 degrees here. Granted it is cooler the higher you go. I drove to Springer several times last yr and for what ever reason the temps got warmer the closer I got to the summit!

The 3 degree for every thousand ft in elevation does NOT always apply. 96 degrees here at 850 ft of elevation only equates to a 7 degree cooling temp, 89 degrees and from checking this several times I can say it is fairly accurate! Check the Blood MTN wilderness weather report and they can give you accurate readings.

The humidity and dew point levels are very important at these temps. By the way, I had this same conversation with Mountain Shuttler last year and believe it or not he actually threatend my live over this. I mistakenly gave him my phone number and he called me and said he was going to kill me! Oh well I'm still alive!

Egads
06-03-2011, 18:59
No phone call, but I received a PM from Mountain Shuttler saying how much he liked me:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
06-03-2011, 19:12
.....By the way, I had this same conversation with Mountain Shuttler last year and believe it or not he actually threatend my live over this. I mistakenly gave him my phone number and he called me and said he was going to kill me! Oh well I'm still alive!

No phone call, but I received a PM from Mountain Shuttler saying how much he liked me:rolleyes:

It's the heat. It makes us all cranky. :D

Frogdown
06-03-2011, 19:25
It got up to 99 degrees here today. I live about 15 miles from Neels Gap. Summer here is NOT a place for Eskimos!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Hat
06-03-2011, 20:22
Neel Gap is always cooler than most everywhere else in GA. I hiked three days last week, including two overnights, and it was HOT! I didn't have a thermometer, but had to be high 80s, if not 90s. When we got to Neel Gap, it was nice sitting in the shade.

Mountain Shuttler, are you the guy with the white van that has signs for Window Treatments and Shuttles? I'm pretty sure we have met. You were dropping someone at Springer.

Sierra and Kanga, see ya out there! Be nice everyone...

Mountain Shuttler
06-04-2011, 08:00
Do you honestly think I would get in a vehicle with you? LMAO!!!
Oh where do you people come from?!
I know that you would NEVER get in a vehicle with me! You would not be ALLOWED in! That was my point,duh. We people come from the land of Truth & Accuracy in Information. Try it sometime!

Mountain Shuttler
06-04-2011, 08:23
I'm a 52 yr veteran of North GA. I can honestly say it gets hot. Very hot. I live at the base of a 3000 ft peak and today it is 96 degrees here. Granted it is cooler the higher you go. I drove to Springer several times last yr and for what ever reason the temps got warmer the closer I got to the summit!

The 3 degree for every thousand ft in elevation does NOT always apply. 96 degrees here at 850 ft of elevation only equates to a 7 degree cooling temp, 89 degrees and from checking this several times I can say it is fairly accurate! Check the Blood MTN wilderness weather report and they can give you accurate readings.

The humidity and dew point levels are very important at these temps. By the way, I had this same conversation with Mountain Shuttler last year and believe it or not he actually threatend my live over this. I mistakenly gave him my phone number and he called me and said he was going to kill me! Oh well I'm still alive!
As usual,there are two sides to every story. You actually threatened me first and so I invited you to the Springer parking lot the next day to talk about things if I remember correctly. Of course you did not show up and I did. Sort of says it all doesn't it! BTW,didn't you change your name on here and what makes you think that I would risk going to jail just to prove another cyber hiker wrong when it comes to weather & trail conditions! Oh yeah,and what part of the AT in Georgia is only 850 ft. in elevation?

kanga
06-04-2011, 15:21
you are DENSE..

Alligator
06-04-2011, 15:53
How's the weather is supposed to be one of those neutral icebreaker topics.:datz