PDA

View Full Version : June in the white's fleece or down?

harlem
05-29-2011, 10:19
Need some advice will be hiking the whites for one month june 1st,

Heres what I have - please let me know what i shoud take to stay warm and dry but remain as light as practical. I never hiked this part of the trail so I am unsure of the conditions in june. Thanks everyone!
:-?
montbell ex light down jacket 5.5 oz
Patagonia R2 200 wt fleece 14 oz
arcteryx beta sl 11.5 oz
golite wisp wind shirt 3oz
patagonia wool therm top 5 oz
patagonia wool therm bottoms 6 oz

DLANOIE
05-29-2011, 12:01
bug net for your head everything else looks a o k.

Wil
05-29-2011, 12:08
I get by with one layer of midweight fleece over a shirt, with a wind.rain layer for wind on the peaks.

When you're moving that will be fine. For the first half of June, long breaks may find you wishing you had a down layer or second fleece, and if your dinners/sitting around camp in the evening are prolonged you'll definitely need that second layer. Towards the end of June the one layer will probably do you.

harlem
05-29-2011, 15:58
Thanks wil and dlanoie,

I was hoping that i could get away with just taking a few of the items from that list - sounds like I'm gonna most based on what you guys say unless I misunderstood -

I was hoping to get away with just taking -
down jacket 5.5 oz
thermal mid merino top 5 oz
rain jacket 11.5 oz

any thoughts if just these would be sufficient - I was thinking while hiking merino thermal under merino t-shirt w jacket if necessary.

at camp use down jacket and merino hat.

any thoughts or suggestions on that plan?

harlem
05-29-2011, 15:59
Oh didn't know I'll need a bug net - thx!

Feral Bill
05-29-2011, 17:50
Could be ugly, could be glorious. I doubt you'll encounter the kind of dry cold the down jacket is intended for. You might prefer putting that weight into a scarf and balaclava, and maybe rain pants.