PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2011 Hiking in VA

brooks733
05-29-2011, 15:12
So I am a female and I am wanting to hike around the end of sept or beginning of oct. I'll have at least a month to spend out on the AT. I'm thinking about starting in VA and still hiking north...but ultimately I am up for any good suggestions. I am finishing up grad school and I just want to spend some good quality time on the trail, but I've never done any long distance hiking. If you're interested in coming along or have any good tips, let me know!

juma
05-30-2011, 12:09
I'd say start at harpers ferry and hike south. you will probably get to walk with some sobo's and you might be able to hike most of virginia which would be a nice chunk completed to begin a section hike of the trail. Can be kind of dry in the Fall and you may want to have the gear to carry 3+ liters.

k.reynolds70
05-30-2011, 19:59
I did this hike in 2009--started Oct. 05 at Rockfish Gap and hiked into Damascus on Halloween. Had great weather with some great foliage. Met up with some cool SOBO's first night out and hiked with them to Pearisburg.

Our weather is extremely nice in October here in VA, with warm sunny days & cool nights. Plenty of vistas along the way too.

This was one of the greatest hikes I'd taken. I had always wanted to hike the breadth of my home state & I did during the best time of year.

SOBO's are some cool mofos--if I were you I'd hike south to the highlands.

Have a great hike!

rscheier
07-11-2011, 18:48
I'm a 49 male. I am working my way south on the AT over time. I have done the trail from Virginia (Bryant Ridge Shelter (http://bit.ly/npmcQh)) to Mount Katahdin. I am looking for a partner for a 1-2 week trek in August. I know you are looking for a female. But, Let me know if interested.

Bob

d.o.c
07-11-2011, 21:35
hike to the festy http://www.thefesty.com/and/or hike from it.. im going to following my long trail hike gonna walk to my house in troutville from the festival its at the base of the preist mountain in nelson county VA.. have fun walk anywho.

JimboWV
07-12-2011, 07:02
I'd like to try to get a week or so in around that time and finish up near the I-70 overpass near Hagarstown, MD. I'm 30/M and if this would fit into your hike let me know.

wornoutboots
07-12-2011, 13:36
I agree sobo from Harpers Ferry is a great choice! Good luck & Happy Hiking!

I'd love to hike into the Festy : O ) but I still have Springer to the NOC & Erwin to Damacus sections to hit this fall.

Brewerbob
07-13-2011, 12:34
Met up with some cool SOBO's first night out and hiked with them to Pearisburg.

SOBO's are some cool mofos--if I were you I'd hike south to the highlands.

Is there really a difference between SOBO and NOBO folk?

Brewerbob
07-14-2011, 08:10
So I am a female and I am wanting to hike around the end of sept or beginning of oct. I'll have at least a month to spend out on the AT. I'm thinking about starting in VA and still hiking north...but ultimately I am up for any good suggestions. I am finishing up grad school and I just want to spend some good quality time on the trail, but I've never done any long distance hiking. If you're interested in coming along or have any good tips, let me know!Don't know if it fits your needs but I'm going to do a week's worth. Probably NOBO from Harper's Ferry. I'll have my son (16) with me. As it will be our first real hike, I'm not sure how far/fast we'll go. Probably leave either Aug 12/13 or Aug 19/20 and go to the following Sunday.

As it is our first hike I dunno if I want to do a round trip or one way. One way requires a ride home and making the pickup point on time. Round trip allows us to lag and drag as needed. Just turn around when tired or at day 5.

ednotmilkman
07-18-2011, 18:16
Hi Brooks and Wornout Boots,

My hiking buddy and I have section hiked up to Erwin, TN so far. So we are interested in doing the next section to Damascus or Marion, VA (where my uncle lives) this fall anyway. So Wornout, we should get together for that for sure. Brooks, if you have a time and start point set, we'd consider joining you for a week or so even if you wanted to go SOBO from Harpers Ferry or some other point in VA. Dave has said he would like to do longer sections anyway, however a week to 10 days at a time is plenty for me. I forget what his username is on here. Send me an e-mail if you want to discuss it quick as I don't check Whiteblaze that often. I've also replied to "Shannan" that wants to do a 4 day loop in Georgia this fall as I'm not picky about whether I hike AT or some other trail. Dave and I have been walking about 15 miles per day so far on the AT in NC and TN. I looked it up and Dave's whiteblaze name is Whiterook1 . Feel free to contact him too. He is newly retired while I am just planning to take off a few weeks in Sept or Oct. I have another outdoor friend from BC (Canada) that might want to join us also. She is mid 50's and has never hiked on the AT if you would like to contact her, I'll pass it along or give you her e-mail. She does 5-10 day trips. She needs at least 2 weeks notice to get decent airfare though.

Brooks, since you live in Chatanooga anyway, we could work on a carpool - trailhead car drop if we decide to meet for the beginning. Dave and I don't mind partnering with other people for a while even if you don't want to walk 15 miles a day, down to 10 or 12 per day, if you act like you enjoy the company at least ;-) I bring tent and he brings tarp so we don't have to stop at the shelters.

WornoutBoots, are you just joking about Festy ? I didn't take time to look at the link much. I'd like to hike the Sheltowee Trace sometime in 2 sections if you have any interest in it.

Edwin

d.o.c
07-18-2011, 20:56
^you should have took the time to look at the festy.. 5k and 10k trail and bike races awsome view of the preist and surrounding mountains.. and the keels and infamous stringdusters short walking distance from the trail.. all of which is at a world class brewery that also has very good food.. sounds to me like a hiker paradise.. btw the AT stickers and hikers are all over this place its by far worth the three day hangout... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVRPrlT3UQ&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXd3YzcJ1TZCkq7QPveKVl-F

wornoutboots
07-29-2011, 23:21
The festy grabbed my emotional interests but I believe I'm going to stick to my original plan, hike the section from Springer to NOC in October, & the section from Standing Bear to Log Cabin Road just b4 or after that trip & the section from Erwin to Damascus in early December. Let me know if any of those fit into your schedule. This will get me caught up on the whole southern section from Springer to Fox Creek VA.

Tammy Petry
07-30-2011, 16:07
I'm a new hiker and am planning to be in the Waynesboro area the second week of October. I want to do some hiking and will also be available to assist others with rides into town etc. Will keep you updated. Anyone gonna be near Wboro that weekend?

Just looked at the Festy and thinking about starting/ending there...sounds great and looks like a great place to meet others. Hope to see ya there!

weezzy4
07-30-2011, 16:50
I too am looking for a hiking buddy to start in virginia and walk north for about a month, although I will hiking for the month of Sept, Oct is too late for me...

d.o.c
10-03-2011, 21:10
plans are turning to me hiking from the festy to my home in troutville

richmondhokie
10-06-2011, 11:22
My brother and I are starting tomorrow at Harper's Ferry SOBO to Compton Gap........Will we see anyone out there with us - anyone doing the same?