Anyone try the new Sawyer Squeeze water filter bag

PapaSmurf
06-03-2011, 13:39
Got mine the other day.
I put some details & photos on my site.
http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/other-gear/sawyer-sp132.php

Buffalo Skipper
06-03-2011, 14:26
PapaSmurf, that looks very interesting. I read your review, which had good information. But can you be more explicit? How dependable do you think this system would be for a solo hiker? For a small group (patrol)? Would you pack the backwash syringe on a weekend trip? How about for a 2 week trip?

From afar, this looks to be very intersting at 3-5oz. I am not familiar with Sawyer or their reputation (if any). And FWIW, thanks for weighing after you tested, for the "field" weight.

PapaSmurf
06-03-2011, 15:35
But can you be more explicit? How dependable do you think this system would be for a solo hiker? For a small group (patrol)? Would you pack the backwash syringe on a weekend trip? How about for a 2 week trip?

Difficult to say since I haven't actually had it outside yet.

The filter does indeed come with Sawyer's "Million Gallon Guarantee". The instructions state something like it would need backwashed once for every 20 times that a ceramic filter would need to be cleaned. I'm guessing this means I could carry it on weekend (maybe weeklong?) hikes without the syringe and just backwash it at home between trips.

I like the fact that it's a squeeze filter and even if it were to become somewhat slow, I could apply greater pressure and still filter water. I also like the fact that I can use the same filter with the included bag, a platy bottle, or a plastic water bottle.

One thing I don't like is the width of the included bag. I will likely carry an old platypus bottle instead. The filter is approx 6.5" long (about the perfect size to roll up with a Platy bottle). The included bag is too wide and will not pack up very small unless you fold it after rolling. How long will it last with this extra folding?

Another negative is having to carry that large syringe that may or not ever be needed on a hike. I want to experiment with a "Tornado Tube (http://www.teachersource.com/AirPressure/AirPressure/VortexBottleConnectors.aspx?gclid=CIbZ9YC3mqkCFUWA 5QodwWwKvg)" on the bottom. Is it possible that with this tube attached, one could simply squeeze the bottom bottle and backwash the filter in the field?

Solo Use - I think it's almost there. I'm thinking of using it with a couple 1 liter plastic water bottles and I like having the option to carry 2 additional liters of untreated water if necessary.

Group Use - I was able to "squeeze out" 2 liters in just over a minute with only moderate pressure on the bag. If I were to really squeeze on the bag, I could have shot the stream accross the room. Smurfette wouldn't approve, so I didn't.:) If I carry 2 dirty bags, I'm thinking this filter would easily handle a group of 8 or so people. The slow part might be filling the dirty bags?

This is all I know so far.

Buffalo Skipper
06-03-2011, 16:03
Thanks, that does help. This may be the way I go here.... :-?

lush242000
09-13-2011, 09:56
It's only $50. I think I am going to try it out.

PapaSmurf
09-13-2011, 10:07
Here's an update I posted earlier on this filter.
Full report is available here. http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/other-gear/sawyer-sp132.php

*** Update 7/18/2011 ***
Just got back from a week-long hike on the AT (Ensign Cowall to Pine Grove State Park) using this filter and have a few additional thoughts.
Our group - We had 12 total people in our group and hiked in small groups of 3 or 4. We had a gravity filter, a pump filter, my Sawyer Squeeze filter, and 1 or 2 that used Aqua Mira. As each small group reached a water source, whoever had a filter treated water for their group. I usually ended up filtering 6-8 or so liters each time.
Rubber washer - The rubber washer fits into the filter too loosely and falls out quite easily. Need to either put a spare in the kit or check my local hardware store for a slightly larger one that will stay in place.
Push/Pull Cap - Aiming the stream of water was easy and flow was plenty fast enough to allow me to hold the bag at an angle so that any untreated water dripping off the bag wouldn't accidently fall into the water bottle. I originally thought I might replace this cap, but I'll keep it like it is for now.
Extra Scoop Needed - Several of the water sources we encountered were no more than 2-3 inches deep. This made filling the water bag more difficult. I forgot to bring a scoop and had to use someone else's cup to fill the water bag one cup at a time. This was slow and tedious. I think I'll probably cut the top off a plastic water bottle in half and carry a .5 liter scoop with this kit.
2 Liter Bag - On the second morning of our hike, just North of PenMar. I filtered several liters of water and filled the provided 2 liter bag to top off bottles after the climb up to Deer Lick Shelter. Another hiker fastened it under the lid of his pack. Halfway up the hill, the bag fell from the pack landing on a rock and burst. No more bag. Fortunately, I had an extra 2 liter Platypus bag with me.
Capacity - The high temperatures in Southern PA last week ranged from 84 to 93 degrees. We went through alot of water! I was able filter water for myself and 2-3 others easily and quickly (except for filling the water bag).
Cleaning Syringe - I carried the syringe because I was unsure how long it would take for the filter to become partially clogged and slow. Never used it. The flow from the filter never varied one bit after filtering dozens of liters during the entire week. I did, however thoroughly backflush the filter with tap water upon my return home. I'm convinced that the syringe can stay at home for weekend trips.
Thanks
Randy Smith "PapaSmurf"

grateful 2
09-13-2011, 22:17
I had the same experiences on my hike down the grand canyon this summer. The washer kept falling out. The bag is difficult to fill without 5+ inches of running water. My bag developed a 3 inch gash on the last day. I didn't need the syringe the whole trip. I ended up using a Aquafina type 16 oz water bottle instead of the sack to gather and filter the dirty water through the filter. It worked great.
Here's an update I posted earlier on this filter.
Full report is available here. http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/other-gear/sawyer-sp132.php

*** Update 7/18/2011 ***
Just got back from a week-long hike on the AT (Ensign Cowall to Pine Grove State Park) using this filter and have a few additional thoughts.
Our group - We had 12 total people in our group and hiked in small groups of 3 or 4. We had a gravity filter, a pump filter, my Sawyer Squeeze filter, and 1 or 2 that used Aqua Mira. As each small group reached a water source, whoever had a filter treated water for their group. I usually ended up filtering 6-8 or so liters each time.
Rubber washer - The rubber washer fits into the filter too loosely and falls out quite easily. Need to either put a spare in the kit or check my local hardware store for a slightly larger one that will stay in place.
Push/Pull Cap - Aiming the stream of water was easy and flow was plenty fast enough to allow me to hold the bag at an angle so that any untreated water dripping off the bag wouldn't accidently fall into the water bottle. I originally thought I might replace this cap, but I'll keep it like it is for now.
Extra Scoop Needed - Several of the water sources we encountered were no more than 2-3 inches deep. This made filling the water bag more difficult. I forgot to bring a scoop and had to use someone else's cup to fill the water bag one cup at a time. This was slow and tedious. I think I'll probably cut the top off a plastic water bottle in half and carry a .5 liter scoop with this kit.
2 Liter Bag - On the second morning of our hike, just North of PenMar. I filtered several liters of water and filled the provided 2 liter bag to top off bottles after the climb up to Deer Lick Shelter. Another hiker fastened it under the lid of his pack. Halfway up the hill, the bag fell from the pack landing on a rock and burst. No more bag. Fortunately, I had an extra 2 liter Platypus bag with me.
Capacity - The high temperatures in Southern PA last week ranged from 84 to 93 degrees. We went through alot of water! I was able filter water for myself and 2-3 others easily and quickly (except for filling the water bag).
Cleaning Syringe - I carried the syringe because I was unsure how long it would take for the filter to become partially clogged and slow. Never used it. The flow from the filter never varied one bit after filtering dozens of liters during the entire week. I did, however thoroughly backflush the filter with tap water upon my return home. I'm convinced that the syringe can stay at home for weekend trips.
Thanks
Randy Smith "PapaSmurf"