PDA

View Full Version : Hazy, Hot & Humid

Mother Natures Son
05-30-2011, 08:04
It's finally reached unbearable temperatures here in south central PA! Today it's supposed to hit 95 with equally high humidity. I was wondering if anyone's hiked in this perpetual steambath, and if so, did you like it or hate it?

4shot
05-30-2011, 08:26
would take it over rain any day. You know it's hot when you start daydreaming of cold soft drinks and Gatorade rather than cheeseburgers and pizza. I have a picure of a bank in Palmerton from last year that had one of those time and temperature displays - the sign said it was 110 degrees - I think it was late June.Temps in Philly were a record 103 degrees that day per local TV station so sign may have been off by a couple of degrees.

10-K
05-30-2011, 08:31
Yup... 95* over 0* any day.

35*-65* is preferred. :)

Wizard 2009
05-30-2011, 09:45
We would just hike early in the morning, take a 5 hour nap from 12-5, and hike with our headlamps on...seemed to work well for us

Slo-go'en
05-30-2011, 10:14
I remeber one day hiking in PA it was so hot, the rocks were sweating!

I'd much rather hike on a cool, rainy day then when its hot and humid! The heat really sucks the energy right out of me and I hate getting up before dawn to start hiking while its still a little cool out.

Jay_NJ
05-30-2011, 10:36
It feels like mid-July in NJ right now. Yesterday was high 80's with around 80% humidity. Not a fan of the hot and humid combo from past experience when the numbers start to match, ie: 90F 90% humidity.

Cookerhiker
05-30-2011, 10:40
I've been thinking of JayBird; he just started a section hike from DWG to Kent, CT. You can't prepare physically for the heat & humidity - only mentally.

Probably my worst section hike was NJ in hot, humid conditions one early summer.

Blissful
05-30-2011, 12:15
Drink and eat bananas for the Potassium

Tuckahoe
05-30-2011, 12:22
In the film, The Fighting 69th, theres a scene where the 4th Alabama arrives at Camp Mills, NY and they are asked by the boys in the 69th New York how their trip went. One of the 4th Alabama boys answered that it was fine until they reached Pennsylvania where it dropped to 99 degrees and that the liked to froze to death. Always think of that when I hear folks complain about the temps...

It aint hot out!

mweinstone
05-30-2011, 12:33
glassgow on the james river. 103. that was a hot week. member johnney, wak, chaco? them was some temps and dry trail. pa in the heat is fun. you walk slow and take perfect care to spend hours in midday by a spring wet and cool. then you watch dummy argue and try to hike nights. ha!

WingedMonkey
05-30-2011, 12:41
It's finally reached unbearable temperatures here in south central PA! Today it's supposed to hit 95 with equally high humidity. I was wondering if anyone's hiked in this perpetual steambath, and if so, did you like it or hate it?

Only 95? LOL come south wimps.

:sun

brian039
05-30-2011, 17:46
I remember last year the temperature at the bank in Palmerton read 103 degrees with 100% humidity. Days like that you hope for rain! I had always assumed incorrectly that heat and humidity was a southern thing.

modiyooch
05-30-2011, 19:24
As long as there are cold streams to dip my shirt and bandana in, I'm fine.

AegisIII
05-30-2011, 20:38
I've hiked in it, and don't like it. For my hot summer day hikes, I just plan ahead and take more water, do less mileage and less climbing than I might otherwise do. My hike yesterday in the Breezewood (PA) area did have me sweating, but it wasn't too bad heat wise, and the stream crossings allowed me to cool my feet.

-SEEKER-
05-30-2011, 21:05
As long as there are cold streams to dip my shirt and bandana in, I'm fine.

I'm with you on that one 100%. I don't like the rain or cold, give me the heat!

sbhikes
05-30-2011, 21:21
Wow! I just came back from hiking in Southern California. It was below freezing with gale force winds and ice fog. The trees were covered in ice and raining down chunks of ice. I lost feeling in my extremities a couple of times. I've been backpacking three times in the last month and have frozen my butt off, been rained on and knocked down by wind every time. At this point, I'd take some heat and humidity just for a change of pace.

Cookerhiker
05-30-2011, 22:23
I remember last year the temperature at the bank in Palmerton read 103 degrees with 100% humidity. Days like that you hope for rain! I had always assumed incorrectly that heat and humidity was a southern thing.

That's interesting I've lived in the East my whole life and never experienced 100+ temps in rain or drizzle. Generally when it's 100 degrees, the humidity level's been about 70% which is enough to be truly oppressive.

Johnny Thunder
05-30-2011, 23:52
glassgow on the james river. 103. that was a hot week. member johnney, wak, chaco? them was some temps and dry trail. pa in the heat is fun. you walk slow and take perfect care to spend hours in midday by a spring wet and cool. then you watch dummy argue and try to hike nights. ha!

ah, my 26th birthday.

truthisnature
05-31-2011, 07:46
Oh the joys of Pennsylvania humidity. Friend and I did 16 miles on Sunday, Clarks Ferry to Rt 325. Hit the 3B ice cream joint on Rt 225 when we finished. Overall I didn't think the day was too bad.

Lemni Skate
05-31-2011, 08:45
Water water water. If you're drinking plenty of fluids you can do it. The problem is how fast I go through my water in these temperatures. I simply don't find water on the trail often enough to make the days super enjoyable.