PDA

View Full Version : enough/too much clothes

taylorbena
01-30-2005, 20:18
here is my clothes list. Does it sound sain?
2 pairs long underwear (top+bott)
1 rain jacket
1 heavy fleece jacket
2 sets of socks (polypro liner+smartwool)
2 pair boxer shorts
1 pair nylon zip-off pants
1 pair soccer type shorts
2 t-shirts
Also does silk hold up on the trail? I have a set of silk long underwear I was thinking of bringing.
I would love some feedback,
Thanks-
Taylor

SGT Rock
01-30-2005, 20:25
I had a silk shirt that died after 12 days of constant wear on the trail. It died where my shoulders and pack rubbed together.

chris
01-30-2005, 20:43
If you add a warm hat and some gloves, you won't be missing anything. You might be carrying too much, although this is something that it is better to find out for yourself after you get comfortable with the trail and outdoor living. You probably only need 1 set of thermals, unless you are starting early. One T-shirt and one set of boxers (what you're wearing) should be sufficient.

MedicineMan
01-31-2005, 06:32
2 pairs long underwear (top+bott)
1 pair should be enough and I suggest SmartWool Aero tights and a zip-t
1 rain jacket
look at Patagonia's newest Specter, 6.5oz and waterproof/breathable
1 heavy fleece jacket
consider something in Primaloft, much warmer for even less weight
socks are finicky, do what has worked for you in the past
2 pair boxer shorts
again why 2 pairs? you actually gonna hike in underware?
1 pair nylon zip-off pants
1 pair soccer type shorts
The pants/shorts combo looks good
2 t-shirts
I would make one a SmartWool t-shirt just because of the funk all synthetics get......also note that Duofold has now introduced a merino wool line at 1/2 the price of Smartwool (Campmor.com)
Get some gloves...thin synthetics from Walmart are good and a set of Goretex mits, when combined they rule.
What about a hat. I like balaclavas to sleep in.
Some people hate hoods on their jackets and want an extra hat for rain or sun, in that case look at the Sahala Sombrero by O.R., its crushable and weighs only 3.5oz.

Jaybird
01-31-2005, 07:58
i'd lose one of the pair of long underwear (i'm "hot-natured")
otherwise your list looks GREAT.

good luck with your hike. :D

hey MedicineMan!
....you digging out from the ice & snow?

kncats
01-31-2005, 08:05
When I wear liner socks with my Smartwool socks I get blisters. I've seen it mentioned frequently that with Smartwool you don't want to use liners. It probably depends on type of footwear you're using also. With heavier boots, maybe. With trail runners probably no liners.

If you're carrying a pair of convertible pants I'd drop the shorts.

Flash Hand
01-31-2005, 15:02
I learned enough to bring extra t-shirts. When I hike, the sweat soaked my shirts. By the time I got to the shelter, almost all of the t-shirt is wet and smelly. I can't sleep in wet t-shirt. It kept me awake. So, I brought 4 t-shirt for hiking and one for sleeping while one extra just for safesake. I will just bring one zip on pant, 3 or 4 pair of socks, some underwear, bacalava, gloves, jackets. I use three jogging shorts, (2 for hiking and 1 for sleeping) I will use bounce box to send winter clothes ahead of me during warmer season. If you can be able to learn the patience of drying your t-shirt up everyday by tie your t-shirt on the pack for sun dry or by the campfire, then you can bring two t-shirts instead of 3 or 4.

Yes, I carried about 55+ pounds on my back, but I am fine with it.

Flash Hand

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2005, 15:55
I would ditch one set of the long underwear and add hat and gloves. 2 shirts are enough for me 1 to hike in 1 for camp and you can always go shirtless with the fleece or rain jacket. I find the nylon type pants to be useless maybe some rain pants like frog togs would be more useful. I would also carry one more pair of socks. I've tried only 2 before and found having 3 was more comfortable. But remember you can always send extra stuff home later if you don't need it.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-31-2005, 16:20
here is my clothes list. Does it sound sain?
Thanks-
TaylorNothing sucks more than having 2 pairs of socks, both soaking wet on a nice brisk day. I think 4 pair are a minimum. Wear pair 1 from AM to lunch. Change to pair 2 at lunch (good time to look the old (in your case young) dogs over for blisters etc. When you get ready to call it a day, wash pair 1 and 2, use pair 3 for sleeping only. Keep pair 4 buried in your pack in a dry safe place as your "war reserve" so you'll always have them in an emergency. Good foot care goes a long, long way to keeping your machine running. This info was impressed on me by a great old guy who thru-hiked from Normandy to Germany back in the '40s.

TankHiker
01-31-2005, 17:05
I am assuming your list include what you plan to wear while hiking.

I agree that you won't need 2 pairs of long underwear. I also strongly agree to up your socks to at least 3 pair.

You'll probably want a hat and gloves. You might also want a pair of campshoes - most likely a pair of lightweight sandals. It is good to be able to take off the hiking boots, and still comfortably walk around camp.

-TANK

Spirit Walker
01-31-2005, 17:44
I would ditch one of the pairs of long john bottoms. It gets too hot hiking in long john bottoms, even in snow, if you are wearing rain pants over them, so you only need one pair for night time.

In the cold weather, I would keep both long underwear tops but ditch one of the t-shirts. When it warms up, get your extra t-shirt and ditch one of the long sleeved shirts. You want to have something dry to change into at night - for the first couple of months, that will be your long sleeved shirt. If it's so warm that you don't want to wear a long sleeved shirt, you probably won't need to change at all.

Definitely get a wool/polypro hat or balaclava and gloves. In cold weather I'll wear the polypro liner gloves for hiking, but I also bring warmer gloves or mittens for serious cold.

Remember - you will have cold weather until mid-May.

The Solemates
01-31-2005, 18:18
There are already hundreds of threads on this, but what the heck...heres my system:

My summer pack weight for a 5 day trip, including food and water, is about 23lbs.
Summer hiking (low temps 60F, high temps 100F):
Worn while hiking
Wal-Mart lightweight running shorts with built-in liner
Duofold wicking Tee
lightweight Wal-Mart synthetic socks
lightweight Vasque trail runners
bandana
Packed
Marmot Precip rain jacket
Waldies

My fall/spring pack weight for a 5 day trip, including food and water, is about 27 lbs.
Fall/Spring hiking (low temps 30F, high temps 70F):
Worn while hiking
Duofold wicking Tee
Ex Oficio Amphi convertible shorts/pants with built-in liner
lightweight Wal-Mart synthetic socks
lightweight Vasque trail runners
bandana
Packed
LL Bean lightweight 100-pile zip-neck microfleece pullover
Off-Brand lightweight 200-pile fleece pullover
Marmot Precip rain jacket
Marmot Precip rain pants
Mtn Hardwear winstopper fleece hat
Wal-Mart wool/synthetic blend hunter's convertible mitts
Waldies

My winter pack weight for a 5 day trip, including food and water, is about 33lbs.
Winter hiking (low temps -10F, high temps 30F):
Worn while hiking
Patagonia lightweight capilene zip-neck Tee
LL Bean lightweight 100-pile zip-neck microfleece pullover
Ex Oficio Amphi convertible pants with built-in liner
expedition weight Wal-Mart socks
Mtn Hardwear winstopper fleece hat
Wal-Mart wool/synthetic blend hunter's convertible mitts
bandana
heavyweight Merrell Grand Traverse boots
Packed
TNF 300-pile fleece jacket
Patagonia lightweight capilene long underwear bottoms
Marmot Precip rain jacket (if its not supposed to get above around 20F during the day, or if heavy snow is in the forecast, I will often bring my Marmot ski jacket instead)
Marmot Precip rain pants
Off-Brand 200-pile fleece socks
Waldies