PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Deep Gap - Any Advice?

One-8T
05-30-2011, 19:55
Heading down to Springer second week of June for my first 80+ mile section hike with my 13 year old son. We have done the 30-40 miles from Whitetop to Partnership and the same thru The Priest area, but this is our first time going over 5 days. I know the heat will be the biggest obstacle other than getting my real trail legs back, but I feel like we are ready. Our weekends have consisted of small elevation climbs (400+ feet over 1 mile) and 7-9 miles days about 4 times a month for the past 3 months. I typically carry about 26 lbs with him carrying about 15, not including water. He is not too fast and tends to stumble a lot (thus his trail name, Trippy Einstein), so we are planning on averaging between 9 - 12 miles a day and taking it somewhat easy.
Anyone care to offer any advice on how hard Georgia is?

Thanks for the feedback.

One-8T

Phreak
05-30-2011, 20:45
Its just one foot in front of the other. You two should do fine. Have fun!

bigcranky
05-30-2011, 21:08
You know the drill -- take your time, drink a LOT of water, and keep an eye on the temperature. In the summer I like to take advantage of the long day length, and hike really early in the morning, get 8-10 miles in, then take a long break until late afternoon and start hiking again, then hike 4-5 more in the evening.

kolokolo
05-30-2011, 21:41
I agree with the previous posters - take your time, and drink plenty of water. There are some steep climbs in Georgia, but take it one step at a time. If you take it at a pace that you can enjoy, and be sure to stay hydrated, you'll have a great time.

One-8T
05-30-2011, 23:22
Thanks Phreak, bigcranky and UHFox for the encouragement and advice. Thinking about extra hydration, I just added an additional 32oz Nalgene to each of our packs so we can have one purifying while we use the bladders and other Nalgene. I hate carrying too much water, but better safe than sorry, especially with GA in the heat.

Big Cranky - just checked out your Grayson picks from 5/21. Great Photos. My son and I were there that weekend as well. We did Elk Garden to VA603 Fox Creek on Friday afternoon/Saturday. Great hike. Enjoyed it even more the second time around. Especially since a lot of thru's were passing thru and we could extend some trail magic. Passing good thoughts onto five o'clock somwhere, redbeard and CAPS who we met on the way to Wise shelter.

virgil
05-31-2011, 00:10
I recently hiked from Springer to Neel's Gap in four days (three nights). I camped at Hawk Mtn. Shelter, then Justus Gap and Lance Creek Camping Areas. So thats more like 7-8 miles per day. I picked up my pace a little after Neel's Gap, by then I had my rythem. I did about 10 miles per day to Deep Gap, with an overnight resupply stop in Hiawassee. The hiking. It's rough and rugged, beautiful wilderness and great vistas. Take your time, take a good mid-day break and drink plenty of water. It's a great trip.

Shooting Star
05-31-2011, 00:55
Several days before your trip, post to the Trail News and Updates forum
and ask about water conditions along your route. People are pretty good
to answer back if they've passed that way recently and can tell you what
water sources are running and which ones are low-flow or dry. You'll love
Georgia, have a great trip.

One-8T
05-31-2011, 09:34
Great Idea Shooting Star. I was trying to find info all over the web about current water sources. Best to go straight to the local experts. Thanks.

One-8T
05-31-2011, 22:58
Thinking about spending an evening in Neels Gap to grab some food and a shower. Do you think there will be any issues just walking into one of the local paces without any reservations this time of year.

chiefiepoo
06-01-2011, 08:32
Thinking about spending an evening in Neels Gap to grab some food and a shower. Do you think there will be any issues just walking into one of the local paces without any reservations this time of year.
As always, depends on weather and is it a weekend. Wanted to stay at Neeels Gap mid May this year but plumbing was out and it was busy but not crowded. Four of us threw in together and walkd down to Blood Mtn. cottages and it was the better decision. Friendly owner and much nicer accomodations at a great rate. Warm showers, tv, equipped kitchen, and nice porch to sit on. Owner at the cottages has some limited provisions there if the Gap store has closed. A pint of Ben and Jerrys vanilla was about $4 at NG store, but well worth it.