PDA

View Full Version : something internet like for forigners

strollingalong
05-30-2011, 20:01
I would like some kind of shiny box with a screen that I can access the internet and upload photos/blog entires etc from the trail. Thing is, I'm a filthy foreigner. What are my options in the states?

sbhikes
05-30-2011, 21:24
Use the free internet and computers at public libraries.

bigcranky
05-31-2011, 07:35
If you need to have 'net access on the trail with you, then you'll have some problems with smartphones, as most of them require a 2-year contract.

Your best bet might be an iPad2 with a Verizon chip, and pay the $25/month wireless access fee while you are on the trail. The iPad can be your journal as well as your internet access, and Verizon does a pretty good job with wireless service along the trail (for phone calls, anyway, not sure about data.) But of course it's heavy-ish and will need to be protected from impact and water damage. It's also $629.

If all you need is a phone, then any Walmart or Target will sell you a pre-paid cell phone for about $20. Then buy a 1000-minute card for $100 and the minutes will last the entire hike. No 'net access, though.

Snowleopard
05-31-2011, 14:09
If you need to have 'net access on the trail with you, then you'll have some problems with smartphones, as most of them require a 2-year contract.
Not quite. The 2 year contract is needed to get a smartphone at reasonable price. If you already have an unlocked phone or buy one ($$$) you can get a pay as you go plan for phone and internet access; this works for ATT but I don't know about Verizon.

For a simple phone, bigcranky has it: prepaid phones from Walmart, etc.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 15:10
my sprint rant does what all phones can. its 80 a mo for unlimited everything. googlemap, lifescan,web,gps,vidio messeging,voice command and recognition apps. most folks refuse to accept sprint simply works everywhere on the trail. sometimes you must locate a hill or bump in the woods but i can say, at no time on the trail is my phone without signal more than 5% of the time. never been to maine.

atraildreamer
05-31-2011, 16:09
If all you need is a phone, then any Walmart or Target will sell you a pre-paid cell phone for about $20. Then buy a 1000-minute card for $100 and the minutes will last the entire hike. No 'net access, though.

TracFone has a Motorola flip-phone that can access the internet for $20. It has the "double minutes for life" feature (eg.- Pay for 2 hours...get 4 hours) feature. Their coverage is pretty good as they utilize whatever cell network is available. They charge double minutes to use the internet access. It may be all that you need if you want to use email. :welcome

Mags
05-31-2011, 16:23
Don't feed the trolls. :)