PDA

View Full Version : Fire tower on Shuckstack

waasj
05-30-2011, 22:00
Worth the trip for the view!! Good place to take a break especially NoBo coming out of Fontana.

stonedflea
06-04-2011, 07:37
agreed... just about the only good thing about the smokeys south of clingman's dome.

Sly
06-04-2011, 10:10
agreed... just about the only good thing about the smokeys south of clingman's dome.

Spence Field, Rocky Top, Thunderhead.....

CrumbSnatcher
06-04-2011, 10:17
Worth the trip for the view!! Good place to take a break especially NoBo coming out of Fontana.
the towers not that far from the trail, worth the time
take your pack with ya, alot of people drop the pack and stroll over to the tower. wonder if anyones lost their pack to the bears doing that?

turtle fast
08-01-2011, 15:00
In 08' while others were climbing up the tower, I had a deer come up to me and then stick around...it was completely unafraid of me. It would come close enough to me to pet the thing. Hung around even when the others came back...weirded them too. When Shuckstack tower is seen from Fontana Dam you dread the climb up, but in reality it was not too bad.

BobTheBuilder
08-01-2011, 15:17
I heard that it happens. No firsthand knowledge, though (thankfully)

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 16:43
In 08' while others were climbing up the tower, I had a deer come up to me and then stick around...it was completely unafraid of me. It would come close enough to me to pet the thing. Hung around even when the others came back...weirded them too.

Whenever I read this it reminds me of what I was told in Yosemite:

"More injuries in Yosemite are inflicted by deer, with one documented death, than those caused by black bear or any other park animal."

moytoy
08-01-2011, 18:00
In 08' while others were climbing up the tower, I had a deer come up to me and then stick around...it was completely unafraid of me. It would come close enough to me to pet the thing. Hung around even when the others came back...weirded them too. When Shuckstack tower is seen from Fontana Dam you dread the climb up, but in reality it was not too bad.
In the early 60's the trail up Shuckstack was graded. Before that it was straight up the mountain. I remember pulling myself up holding onto saplings and brush.