PDA

View Full Version : Snow during southbound hike?

theycallmej
05-30-2011, 23:29
Hey guys,
I'm curious to ask-- if someone is starting a southbound hike in late June to very early July, when can they expect to see snow in the south? I'm curious as to when the smokies and the springer area start seeing snow, mostly. I'd like to do my hike without any snow at all-- I hate snow more than the average person... why yes, I am writing from South Dakota... :banana

Just an average expectation, I will be prepared in case there's an unprompted weather catastrophe either way.

wcgornto
05-31-2011, 02:32
In 2009, I saw a dusting of snow (less than 1") in mid Virginia in mid October, but then didn't see a flake of snow the rest of the way. My understanding is that the same storm measured a few inches up high in the Smokies, but it melted off right after.

Generally speaking (though there can be exceptions), if you finish a SOBO thru hike by the end of November, snow should not be an issue.

fadeleaf
05-31-2011, 03:39
Last year I saw my first snow right before Roan Mt, on the TN/NC border. It was the first week of november, and there was about a foot on the ground at the higher elevations...other than that I only saw snow on my last day summiting Springer, so I would assume it's somewhat variable.

Marta
05-31-2011, 06:16
In 2006 I saw snow three times. Once in VA in November; once on Roan Mtn. in December; and once in GA in January. Each time it was less than an inch and melted the following day.