PDA

View Full Version : Tami got ripped off by thieves

John B
05-31-2011, 08:26
I haven't seen anything posted on WB about this, so I'm going to do it.

Tami (a.k.a. 'Sunshine & Flycatcher'), who has to be one of the nicest, most upbeat, positive people to ever hike the AT, had some of her stuff (meds, camera, cash) ripped off while staying at Uncle Johnny's. She's back hiking now, upbeat and positive as ever. You can read her words here:
http://shutterbugtami.blogspot.com/2011/05/biding-my-time.html

I want to say that it must take a particular breed of low-life scum to steal another person's property, especially from a a grandmother who is hiking the trail in memory of her grandson.

I hope they're caught. I really do.

Sly
05-31-2011, 14:18
Another scumbag surfaces. That sucks. The first thing when I hit a road and am spending any time hitching, or in town, I make sure to take my ID's, credit cards and money out of my pack and keep it safely on my person.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 14:37
disagree strongly sly. no theif makes me change my ways. i announce loudly that my pack is a goldmine and that the theif that wants it is welcome. ill chance catching him over loosing my pack every time. one theif caught is worth all the packs ill ever own. my stuff means nothing to me. my trail with a theif on it, thats worth chaseing.i say everyone leaves every thing unlocked and left out. ars, homes and babies. we could catch all the theives easily by posting gaurd. and watching stuff is a whole lot better than locking it. if you add up all the security costs to protect a thing, real and other costs, you end up with an amount of trouble far greater than simply leaving a pack out and loosing a few nights sleep watching it. not only may you catch a theif, you announce to the world, i care enough to do something to protect us from theives more than just buy a lock or watch only my stuff. you say, im staying alert and catching this theif

Sly
05-31-2011, 15:14
disagree strongly sly.f

Disagree all you want. It's not likely to happen but, if we throw our packs in a car or a truck and they take off on us, at least I have my cash and ID's.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 15:33
see, i would be fine with a car doing that, i get the description and call the police and they get caught. its hard to commit a crime in a vehical and get away with it if a desciption and plate are gotten.also, them trying to use my money card,id,m a t t,...would get them a longer sentance. but to live life not beliveing and trusting all is against my religon. corinthians. i give criminals the benifit of the doubt, then have the skills to catch them. thats what i do. it allows me to operate as if the world were a good place of honesty at the possible cost of material goods. a bargan. also the right thing to do. in my opinion.

WingedMonkey
05-31-2011, 15:39
More recent postings on her blog tell she had her I.D. and bank card stored and untouched in another place.

10-K
05-31-2011, 16:39
Another scumbag surfaces. That sucks. The first thing when I hit a road and am spending any time hitching, or in town, I make sure to take my ID's, credit cards and money out of my pack and keep it safely on my person.

Always... cell phone too (for those of us who have them).

On a side note - there was a thread the other day about stashing your pack in the woods for a quick trip into town... I think it goes without saying that money, ID, cards, license, phone, etc. do NOT get stashed with the pack - not even if if I'm only going to be gone for 5 minutes.

I hiked up to a shelter not too long ago and a bunch of guys were hanging out.. The water source was almost .25 miles (downhill of course) and as I took off to get some water a guy remarked that I was crazy to be carrying my pack up and down that hill.

I told him it wasn't as crazy as leaving everything I had with a bunch of strangers. :)

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 16:51
so, youve all rearanged your lives to accomodate the theif. how bout this:

today the theif has learned where you all have you money. in your person when away from your pack. that is your way of makeing the theif,..hungry? broke?....what?

heres another way. why not carry on as if there are no theives. be joyfilled and carefree and full of cash.then, when you are robbed, support killing a theif. support killing judges who break the law, hell, kill anyone you have been harmed by. then, we wont have jails, criminals or worry.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 16:54
but you fear the criminal, buy him a nice jailcell and feed him.then you teach your kids not to be one cause jail sucks? no jail is getting better and better. it has education and crowding legislation and crooked gaurds to score from. no. jail is not any sort of deterent. a doungeon with rats and bubonic plauge is a jail. back then, criminals were not feared. jail was.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 16:55
i give up. some of you are just too well fed to argue with. when you havent eaten 3 squares in 3 years call me.

Slo-go'en
05-31-2011, 17:19
I read Tami's account of the incident on her blog. She was not the only hiker at the hostle at the time, but if anyone else had something stolen at the same time, she doesn't say, so it's likely she was the only victim.

I suspect Tami was a little careless, leaving some valuables in plain sight on her bunk. These guys wandered through the hostle, saw an oppertunity to grab and run, and did so. They might not have even gone in there with the intention of stealing something, until they saw some easy pickings.

Of course, this should have never happened in the first place, but it is a reminder to keep valuables out of plain sight (if indeed that was the case, which is likely). When I get to a hostle, I pull my bag out of the pack to put on the bunk to reserve the spot, but everything else goes back into the pack (except my wallet, which stays in my pocket). It is much less likely to have someone rummage through a pack looking for something valuable (which takes time and runs the risk of someone walking in on you), then to grab something which looks valuable laying on a bunk and walking away with it.

BTW, I met Tami aka Sunshine and her little dog on the trail several times during my stroll on the AT this spring.

Blissful
05-31-2011, 17:48
Wonder why someone would take her meds? Unless they were narcotics or something like that. Glad she is back on though

Blissful
05-31-2011, 18:00
disagree strongly sly. no theif makes me change my ways. i announce loudly that my pack is a goldmine and that the theif that wants it is welcome. ill chance catching him over loosing my pack every time. one theif caught is worth all the packs ill ever own. my stuff means nothing to me. my trail with a theif on it, thats worth chaseing.i say everyone leaves every thing unlocked and left out. ars, homes and babies. we could catch all the theives easily by posting gaurd. and watching stuff is a whole lot better than locking it. if you add up all the security costs to protect a thing, real and other costs, you end up with an amount of trouble far greater than simply leaving a pack out and loosing a few nights sleep watching it. not only may you catch a theif, you announce to the world, i care enough to do something to protect us from theives more than just buy a lock or watch only my stuff. you say, im staying alert and catching this theif

Identity theft is a nightmare no one should live through.

bfayer
05-31-2011, 18:04
Wonder why someone would take her meds? Unless they were narcotics or something like that. Glad she is back on though

It's sad but when it comes to meds the dirtbags take first and ask questions later.

In most home robberies the medicine chest is the first stop. Most don't even know what they are taking, becasue their are so many different names for the same drug. They just take them all and sort it out later.

The saddest part is that the meds (or the possibility of cash) was probably the reason the gear was taken. The gear most likely ended up in a dumpster or the ditch.

Bless her for keeping a good attitude and keeping on the trail. I don't think I would recover so easy.

Slo-go'en
05-31-2011, 18:32
The saddest part is that the meds (or the possibility of cash) was probably the reason the gear was taken. The gear most likely ended up in a dumpster or the ditch.

That makes sense, especially if she did happen to have them laying out in plain sight. The meds (apparently anti-depressents) were likely bundled with the other stuff taken in a zip lock. No doubt the thiefs were hoping the pills were powerful pain killers...or maybe it was the cash which caught their eye and everything else went for the ride. Hard telling, not knowing...

WingedMonkey
05-31-2011, 18:36

Among other things, she was/is on antidepressants (according to her blog).

WingedMonkey
05-31-2011, 18:51
Among other things, she was/is on antidepressants (according to her blog).

Zanex (Alprazolam) by the way is one of the most popular drugs among young people today.

mweinstone
06-01-2011, 00:17
drugs fuel such destruction in our allready hard lives, it sucks. my sons addicted to oxicodone. and mia in the streets of camden for months. and exspected to die soon acording to his friends who keep me informed. my beautiful son i made with his beautiful mom. what a terrible thing these drugs are and the awful accessbility of them. stealing and drug addictin go hand in hand. may the hiker be comforted by our communal concern. i hope she continues to be an AT hiker after this. and i hope the thief gets help. weather it be in the form of an od, or an leo.prayers for all addicts.

double d
06-01-2011, 10:20

today the theif has learned where you all have you money. in your person when away from your pack. that is your way of makeing the theif,..hungry? broke?....what?

heres another way. why not carry on as if there are no theives. be joyfilled and carefree and full of cash.then, when you are robbed, support killing a theif. support killing judges who break the law, hell, kill anyone you have been harmed by. then, we wont have jails, criminals or worry.

I realize that your an idiot, but do you have to reinforce that each day when you post your endless stupidity?

bulldog49
06-01-2011, 12:14
drugs fuel such destruction in our allready hard lives, it sucks. my sons addicted to oxicodone. and mia in the streets of camden for months. and exspected to die soon acording to his friends who keep me informed. my beautiful son i made with his beautiful mom. what a terrible thing these drugs are and the awful accessbility of them. stealing and drug addictin go hand in hand. may the hiker be comforted by our communal concern. i hope she continues to be an AT hiker after this. and i hope the thief gets help. weather it be in the form of an od, or an leo.prayers for all addicts.

Your act is no longer funny (if it ever was), get a new one.

mweinstone
06-01-2011, 12:47

who would act concerning their son dieing? not this proud father sir. what do you think? im makeing up that max is about to die from heroin in camden, or that i have a son? what?!!

IceAge
06-01-2011, 15:12
I realize that your an idiot, but do you have to reinforce that each day when you post your endless stupidity?

Matthewski might have horrendous grammar and spelling, but he is no idiot. His off-center views are frequently refreshing and often inspiring.

Also, it should be "you're an idiot".

bfayer
06-01-2011, 16:58

I know I am new around here, but there is no reason to be hostile to Anyone on here ever. If you don't like his posts, ignore him, but keep your name calling to yourself. You sound like a fourth grade bully trying to look big on the playground.

I would rather read mweinstone's posts all day everyday than read something like your post above.

For myself, I would rather go through life with people thinking I am stupid, then have them know that I'm mean. Your post was mean.

tigerpaw
06-01-2011, 17:10
Could you guys just PM each other if you want to bash? Tami and Tess are really cool and her hike in honor of her grandson, in my opinion, is pretty cool, too. All the best to her.

double d
06-01-2011, 18:27
Matthewski might have horrendous grammar and spelling, but he is no idiot. His off-center views are frequently refreshing and often inspiring.

Really? Mattewski was (once again) making fun of someone getting their pack stolen and you find that refreshing?

On this matter, your correct;)

double d
06-01-2011, 18:30
I know I am new around here, but there is no reason to be hostile to Anyone on here ever. If you don't like his posts, ignore him, but keep your name calling to yourself. You sound like a fourth grade bully trying to look big on the playground.

I would rather read mweinstone's posts all day everyday than read something like your post above.

For myself, I would rather go through life with people thinking I am stupid, then have them know that I'm mean. Your post was mean.

Sorry that I offended you, as it was not my intent, but Mweinstone was making fun of someone getting their pack stolen, so I'm not about to ignore that without comment.

LBJ
06-01-2011, 18:42

. Refreshing and inspiring? I think that he read some trash from a 50's beat generation wannabe poet sometime in his life and is trying to emulate him. I am another that find his posts infantile and annoying.

WingedMonkey
06-01-2011, 18:42
Just to be clear...her pack was NOT stolen.

double d
06-01-2011, 18:59

This is about someone getting their pack stolen and now you're discussing killing judges who break the law? Or kilingl anyone you have been harmed by? Mweinstone, do you really think its okay of you to post this? The person who is had their pack stolen is hiking in honor of their grandson.

lutefisk
06-01-2011, 21:02
This is about someone getting their pack stolen and now you're discussing killing judges who break the law? Or kilingl anyone you have been harmed by? Mweinstone, do you really think its okay of you to post this? The person who is had their pack stolen is hiking in honor of their grandson.
Tami would love Matty! She might find you a bit uptight, but she'd love you too - that's just the kind of person she is.

mweinstone
06-02-2011, 07:37
i said no such thing about laughin someone got their pack stolen. no one got their pack stolen. and i was talking about how we dont live free anymore cause of like 6 theives who need more than jail. i was pointing out the general idea of one law justice. like if you rob you die. or if a officer of the court does or anyone. nothing weird or offenceiv. just my bad spelling and possibly my sadly angry posts of the past, but i assure you this isnt the jstice system i want or know will work or am suggesting sarcasticly. im talking about talking about such a way. what if? alot of folks belive such things. an eye for an eye. thats it. so i forgive you for freaking out. im completly way out their sometimes. its a lame post .but not offencive.

Newb
06-09-2011, 11:19

You have no idea how far off base you are with that comment.

BAG "o" TRICKS
06-09-2011, 11:56

Matty some day I'd like to visit your world, just not anytime soon. You need to get out of that city buddy. I agree with Sly. A few years back a male hiker was hitching in NE. Got picked up by some guy who during the hitch made a pass at the hiker. The hiker told the guy to pull over and when he did the hiker jumped out and the perv drove off with the hikers pack only to return a few minutes later and toss it out on the road as he drove by. Lucky for him. I don't know if they ever caught this perjerk. I wonder if that hiker had taken his valubles out of his pack before the hitch. Great idea Sly, are you listening out there hikers.

ChinMusic
06-09-2011, 12:01
An unattended pack is akin to unattended food.

Newb
06-09-2011, 12:28
An unattended pack is akin to unattended food.
yeah, sometimes I leave my pack on the trail to dart off for a poo. Can't really relax for my constitutional while the pack is "out there" like that.

JAK
06-09-2011, 12:44
Could this be the 5th in the Tammy movie series?

1 Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)
2 Tammy Tell Me True (1961)
3 Tammy and the Doctor (1963)
4 Tammy and the Millionaire (1967)
5 Tammy Got Ripped Off By Thieves (2011)

The Tammy movies are a series of four light-hearted American films about a naive 18-year-old girl from Mississippi produced by Universal between 1957 and 1967. The main character of the movies is Tambrey "Tammy" Tyree, portrayed as a sweet and polite country girl looking for romantic love. Some elements common to each film are: Tammy falling in love; Tammy singing about being in love; Tammy being hurt by sophisticated city folk; city folk learning something from Tammy; Tammy "puckering up" and then comparing the kiss with her first kiss; Tammy praying to God and talking to her grandmother; Tammy quoting from the Bible; and Tammy relating the wisdom of her grandfather, a lay-preacher and moonshiner. Tammy's speech is stereotypical of dialects of the rural Deep South.

JAK
06-09-2011, 12:44
Could this be the 5th in the Tammy movie series?

1 Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)
2 Tammy Tell Me True (1961)
3 Tammy and the Doctor (1963)
4 Tammy and the Millionaire (1967)
5 Tammy Got Ripped Off By Thieves (2011)

The Tammy movies are a series of four light-hearted American films about a naive 18-year-old girl from Mississippi produced by Universal between 1957 and 1967. The main character of the movies is Tambrey "Tammy" Tyree, portrayed as a sweet and polite country girl looking for romantic love. Some elements common to each film are: Tammy falling in love; Tammy singing about being in love; Tammy being hurt by sophisticated city folk; city folk learning something from Tammy; Tammy "puckering up" and then comparing the kiss with her first kiss; Tammy praying to God and talking to her grandmother; Tammy quoting from the Bible; and Tammy relating the wisdom of her grandfather, a lay-preacher and moonshiner. Tammy's speech is stereotypical of dialects of the rural Deep South.

source: wikipedia

JAK
06-09-2011, 12:45
sorry for the double post. weak wifi

JAK
06-09-2011, 13:26
Particularly sad about the camera, as she no doubt had many great pictures of her hike. Lets hope the unscrupulous culprit has a change of heart on his road to Damascus.

Phreak
06-09-2011, 13:30
Agreed - I do the same thing on my trips.

Blue Jay
06-09-2011, 13:41

Hey both you and I do it, why shouldn't he?

JAK
06-09-2011, 13:42
I heard some aweful statistics about drug addiction in the Annapolis Valley, where some crazy percentage of young adults have become addicted to some form of prescription drugs, which can be obtained cheaper than cigarettes. Ironically, cigarettes are taxed, and these drugs are subsidized by our government and are far more addictive and damaging. You would think the medical profession or the government would simply look at the number of prescriptions in a region and know there was a problem and do something about it. The government tracks very closely how many doctors there are, and how much they bill, but care less about how much drugs they are peddling, and how carefully they are doing so. Its a serious problem. Opioids like Oxycontin seem to be the most common in this crisis.

Blue Jay
06-09-2011, 13:44

Spoken by someone who tried to use Al Gore in a joke:banana.

JAK
06-09-2011, 13:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone

Canada
Deaths from opioid pain relievers increased from 13.7 deaths per million residents in 1991 to 27.2 deaths per million residents in 2004, which may be related to the spread of OxyContin.

United States
Instances of recreational use and diversion of OxyContin have increased in the U.S. beginning in the late 1990s.[75] The slang term hillbilly heroin (which originally referred to hydromorphone) for OxyContin refers to the occurrence of the "earliest reported cases of Oxycontin abuse" in the U.S. in rural areas such as Appalachia. Diversion of OxyContin in the U.S. may occur through "fraudulent prescriptions, doctor shopping, over-prescribing, and pharmacy theft."

A 2003 study by the Government Accountability Office found three factors that may have contributed to the illicit use and distribution of OxyContin in the U.S.:

OxyContin contains a large amount of oxycodone compared with other types of oxycodone containing pills.
OxyContin's warning label said to not crush the controlled-release tablets because of the potential for rapid release of oxycodone, which led to many people crushing the tablets and injecting or snorting the drug.
By 2001, sales of OxyContin in the U.S. exceeded $1 billion per year.
A study published in 2005 examined the prevalence of opiate analgesic use among "recreational drug users and street addicts" as perceived by "key informants" throughout the U.S.; the authors found that non-clinical use of opiates was increasing in general, but that of the drugs studied use of OxyContin "was mentioned most frequently."[77] Purdue Pharma has attempted to reformulate the 10–40 mg strengths of OxyContin to prevent the release of a high percentage of the oxycodone by crushing; however, in 2008 a joint panel convened by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration was "concerned that abusers could find a way to manipulate the new formulation."[78] In 2010, Purdue Pharma introduced 'Oxycontin OP', Purdue Pharma predicts that abuse of higher dose formulations such as 'OxyContin' will go down, but this change may cause heavy recreational users to resort to other drugs such as heroin or may increase the number of deaths caused by acetaminophen poisoning from users attempting to take similar doses of drugs like 'Percocet' or 'Vicodin' to get similar effects. Since 'Oxycontin OP' has now fully saturated the street markets, recreational users find it nearly impossible to find the original Oxycontin formulations; a common alternative for them now are the 15mg and especially the 30mg roxicodone instant release tablets (which are available typically for the same price as the old Oxycontin formulations mg for mg) commonly referred to on the street by names such as roxies, blues, thirties, perc15s, perc30s, IRs, etc.

One investigation in Boston found that OxyContin was a "gateway" drug for heroin, which addicts turned to as a cheaper alternative.

gregpphoto
06-16-2011, 10:39
see, i would be fine with a car doing that, i get the description and call the police and they get caught. its hard to commit a crime in a vehical and get away with it if a desciption and plate are gotten.also, them trying to use my money card,id,m a t t,...would get them a longer sentance. but to live life not beliveing and trusting all is against my religon. corinthians. i give criminals the benifit of the doubt, then have the skills to catch them. thats what i do. it allows me to operate as if the world were a good place of honesty at the possible cost of material goods. a bargan. also the right thing to do. in my opinion.

And if you don't get the plate, if its dark or rainy or you just didn't get it in time? Also, what skills do you have to catch and apprehend a thief (or thieves, since yea, they do come in groups!), do you carry a firearm? If not you better be as fast as Usain Bolt. I'm with the guys who suggested to always have your cash and ID (and cell phone if you carry one) on your persons when not in the woods.

nufsaid
06-16-2011, 11:24
[QUOTE=Blue Jay;1169961]Spoken by someone who tried to use Al Gore in a joke:banana.[/QUOT

Agree. Al Gore is a joke all by himself.