PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mt to Neels Gap for Father's Day

Raul
05-31-2011, 13:00
Hello, I've been a camper/day hiker for many years and have always wanted to do an overnighter. I'm 38 years old, 6 ft. 200lbs., workout 2 days a week and run 1 to 1.5 miles 2 times a week. I'm thinking of doing the 30 miles from Springer Mt. to Neels Gap in three days right after Father's Day. My goal is to do the entire AT in Georgia by Labor day. I don't mind roughing it and have little hiking gear to begin with. I have somethings in my camping supplies I suppose I could use. A small tent or tarp. Backpacks and sleeping bags, etc. None of these were originally for hiking and are cheap items purchased at Wal-Mart, Target or Dicks. So I have a few questions.
Is 30 miles in three days doable for a first timer?
Daily stopping points?
What do I really need to make this trek?
What foods to take so I don't have to carry a stove?
What about parking and shuttles?
Camp fires; Yes or No?
Bears?
I'm sure after a few responses I'll have follow up questions. Any info to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Toki
05-31-2011, 13:11
What a coincidence, I was just looking for info on the same hike (but possibly in Sept). I have many of the same questions. Also, whether its better to go NOBO or SOBO when considering logistics such as possible available shuttles.

So any info would be greatly helping at least 2 people :)

generoll
05-31-2011, 13:18
FWIW. How's your heat tolerance? It's hot now and not likely to get cooler til Sept/Oct.

As far as shuttling, I think it's always best to hike to your car rather then away from it. You pretty much now when you will arrive someplace by car, it's more iffy as to when you'll hike to someplace several days hence. When you end your hike you don't want to have to wait for hours for your pickup or depend on cell phone coverage to get a pickup.

4dogHiker
05-31-2011, 14:09
Contact Mountain Crossings for shuttle information. Their website has water source information as well which was really helpful. We just hiked Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap this weekend--20.3 miles over 1 1/2 days. Weather was warm, but plenty of tree cover and water sources. We plan 3 days for Springer to Neels in Oct.

max patch
05-31-2011, 14:34
Springer to Neels in 3 days is no biggie. However, having said that, since this is your first hike, you have no idea of your pace, etc, etc, etc, I would suggest something different.

Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mtn shelter. Easy section, get your shuttle done first thing, get dropped off at usfs 42, hike to Springer, turn around and hike to Hawk. 8.5 miles.

Day 2: Hawk Mtn Shelter to Gooch Mtn Shelter. 7 miles.

Day 3: Gooch Mtn Shelter to Woody gap. 5.3 miles.

Thats my recommendation for a first time backpacker. If it looks too easy then stick with your original plan and go to Neels.

ChinMusic
05-31-2011, 14:45
Hello, I've been a camper/day hiker for many years and have always wanted to do an overnighter. I'm 38 years old, 6 ft. 200lbs., workout 2 days a week and run 1 to 1.5 miles 2 times a week. I'm thinking of doing the 30 miles from Springer Mt. to Neels Gap in three days right after Father's Day.
Very reasonable goal. Since you live in Atlanta you are well aware of the heat/humidity. IMO, that is the main variable. Catch that section during a heat wave and it would be hell. Drink a LOT.

Raul
05-31-2011, 15:43
Generoll/Chin Music,
Exactly. I've been in Atlanta most of my life aside from a few years in TX & AZ so I'm pretty much aclimated to hot/humid weather. I've heard that area is usually 10 degrees cooler than Atlanta on any given day. Does that sound correct? So if it's running 90-95 here in town, 80-85 wouldn't be that bad. Maybe hot to a Northerner? :-?

4Dog,
Thanks for the info. I forgot about those guys. I stop in there everytime I'm at Vogel or doing a waterfall tour in the area. They are knowledgeable & always very helpful!

Max,
Thanks for the idea.

I appreciate the responses and look forward to more!

max patch
05-31-2011, 16:06
Fires are pretty much personal preference. I always make one on a short (weekend) hike. I never make one on a long hike.

Having said that, I don't think open fires are allowed in the Blood Mountain Wilderness. I could be wrong; if no one here clarifies it will be posted at both Neels Gap and Woody Gap.

solobip
05-31-2011, 16:07
Raul, Welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome your plan seems fine to me. Genroll, et al, have made great comments. I would not do the approach trail, and hiking to your car is always the best IMO. I have done the GA section multiple times and enjoyed every single section. Join the ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hiker Association, and get the online Appalachian Trail Thru‐Hikers' Companion data book. Or at least get the Ga ATC Maps at REI. Post your gear list here and you will get so much help - advice and jugdment that you will feel or be a pro in no time. Enjoy your hike, (it is your hike) I suggest a note book, small, to record your breaks, observations, gear, weights, meetings, start times etc, it is a hoot a few years later. This is the best site for hikers. PM me if you want specific information I am in Stone Mountain. Solobip

Skidsteer
05-31-2011, 16:09
No fires allowed in Blood Mountain Wilderness.

ChinMusic
05-31-2011, 16:10
There are plenty of exit points in those 30 miles too if you need em. I know you work out and run but backpacking up and down mountains has its unique rigors. Take it slow and take breaks. You have TONS of daylight. You can average well under 1mph and do your trip. You may find out that you are the type that could have easily done this in 2 days, but you don't know that right now.

STICK
05-31-2011, 16:50
From Amicalola to Neels was me and my wifes first real hike. I am 5'10" and then about 190 lb and started with 56+ lb pack. She is 5'2" and maybe 90 lbs and started out with 31 lbs in her pack. We planned to be at Neels Gap on the fourth night, but when we got to the top of Blood Mtn that afternoon we decided to stay there and just hike down in the morning. I am not going to say it was easy, but we could have easily made it to Neels Gap by the fourth night. We ended up hiking about 10 miles per day. This was also in September.

If you are interested, here are some videos that I shot while doing that section:

September 09 AT Hike - Amicalola Falls SP Visitor Center to Neels Gap (http://sticksblog.com/whats-this-about/appalachian-trail/september-2009-at/)

I will be heading out the middle of June to pick up at Neels Gap and hike just past the GA/NC border. I am so looking forward to it!

Good luck on your hike.

Raul
05-31-2011, 16:59
There are plenty of exit points in those 30 miles too if you need em. I know you work out and run but backpacking up and down mountains has its unique rigors. Take it slow and take breaks. You have TONS of daylight. You can average well under 1mph and do your trip. You may find out that you are the type that could have easily done this in 2 days, but you don't know that right now.

Thanks for the advice. I'm off the entire week and plan on doing some zip-lining & day hiking Sat, Sun (Father's Day) and Monday with my daughter. I'm going to rest Tuesday and hit Springer Wednesday. So in reality I have until Sunday if things were horribily harder than I anticipate. I'm looking for some ME time. Away from the city, traffic, and the office!

Thank you all the responses and suggestions!!

Toki
06-01-2011, 11:05
Quick piggyback question:
Since shelters seem so conviniently placed on this stretch of trail, would it be ill advised to not bring a tent? I was thinking of getting one of those one man mosquito netting setups which is perfect for down here in south florida. I think they would work well in shelters as well, but I have no idea how much traffic the trail/ shelters get in late september.

daddytwosticks
06-01-2011, 16:32
Toki...you'll probably want to take some sort of shelter, even a tarp. No pity for the hiker who pulls into a stuffed shelter in the rain looking for room since he/she didn't bring a shelter. :)

Toki
06-01-2011, 17:16
Hah! Good point. :)

ChinMusic
06-01-2011, 18:04
Going without a shelter works well, except for when it doesn't.