PDA

View Full Version : UL small women's pack & selection by mail

Winged
06-01-2011, 09:47
As a 5'2" woman with a spine length of 16.5", I've found the following UL back packs to be frequently recommended. My base weight (tent, sleeping bag/pad and back pack) will be 10lbs or less. While I'm not doing a thru hike right away, I want to plan and practice as if I am.

1. Are there other packs I should have on my list to consider?

2. How on earth does a novice to this equipment make a decision without being able to try it on? I'm not sure I'll know, even if I do try it on. REI sells the Go Lite Jam, but they are completely out of it at the moment. Maybe this is just a seasonal ebb and flow.

3. Links to any good comparison reviews would be most welcome.

Go Lite Jam - 23 oz
Mariposa Plus UL 21.3 oz
Gorilla UL 22.7

If it is of any help, I tried on two packs at REI. The Gregory Diva (gee I hate that name) was the best fit by far. Unfortunately I'm not recalling the name of what didn't work. If that would be helpful info, I'll go back to the store and try to get the answer.

Thanks,
Winged

JERMM
06-01-2011, 10:59
Winged- I'm 5'4", 17" torso length, I use a frame less ULA Conduit pack now called the CDT. I've carried up to 22" pounds comfortably. My 3-season base weight 7-10lbs, average weight for 6-7 days with consumables 17-18lbs. I've used this pack for over 2,000 miles and would not hesitate for a second to use it for a thru-hike.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/cdt.asp

If you're interested in a pack with internal frame check out the ULA Circuit
http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

hope this helps

lazy river road
06-01-2011, 11:33
My wife whom is 4" 10' uses an Extra Small Circuit. Her base weight is apx. 12 LB with a pack weight with food and water apx. 22. Her torso is extremly small I think its a 13-14 but any ways very small. And she loved it her first trip out this past weekend. I suggest the ULA circuit or any ULA product for that matter they make great packs. May I also suggest an AARN their not a UL pack but the torso is fully adjustable and they are mighty comfy once you get past people giving you weird looks.

skinewmexico
06-01-2011, 12:12
I'd add the ULA Circuit. And I think they've got WSD shoulder straps as an option now.

lazy river road
06-01-2011, 12:16
I'd add the ULA Circuit. And I think they've got WSD shoulder straps as an option now.

They do in fact have women design shoulder straps and my wife loves them. Says their is much less squeeze in between her breast then the tradition shoulder straps that come straight down.

Kermitt
06-01-2011, 12:39
I'm 5ft. & I lovr my Golite it is a Odyessy w/a lower conpartment for my sleeping bag, pad, &sleeping clothes can fit in. The pack weight is 2.8 lbs.

bigcranky
06-01-2011, 12:46
I would add the Circuit to your list.

Unfortunately all you can do is order the packs, try them all, and keep the best one. You'll be out the shipping costs for returning the others.

burger
06-01-2011, 15:43
My girlfriend is 5'2" with a 17" torso and loves her Circuit. Of course, that's about 10 ounces heavier than what you're looking for.

As for ordering, a lot of the cottage manufacturers will let you exchange/return new packs if they don't fit. I swapped sizes on my first pack from ULA.

Winged
06-01-2011, 21:16
Thanks for speaking up for the ULA packs. Thirty five pounds is really more weight than I should be trying to carry. But that leaves the Omh and CDT to investigate further.

ULV Circuit 34oz - up to 35lbs
Omh 22.6 - up to 30lbs
ULA CDT 17 - up to 25lbs
Go Lite Jam - 23 oz
Mariposa Plus UL 21.3 oz
Gorilla UL 22.7

sbhikes
06-01-2011, 21:33
I measure the same as you, but I'm 5'3". I have used the Gossamer Gear G4 just fine. The Gossamer Gear packs have really wide straps, but you can cut the foam (if you use the foam) to fit you better.

My favorite pack is a ULA Relay which looks a whole lot like the ULA CDT.

Winged
06-01-2011, 21:38
I measure the same as you, but I'm 5'3". I have used the Gossamer Gear G4 just fine. The Gossamer Gear packs have really wide straps, but you can cut the foam (if you use the foam) to fit you better.

My favorite pack is a ULA Relay which looks a whole lot like the ULA CDT.

Thanks sbhikes. I don't see a pack called Relay on ULA's web site. What do you like about it?

skinewmexico
06-02-2011, 01:03
Thanks for speaking up for the ULA packs. Thirty five pounds is really more weight than I should be trying to carry. But that leaves the Omh and CDT to investigate further.

ULV Circuit 34oz - up to 35lbs
Omh 22.6 - up to 30lbs
ULA CDT 17 - up to 25lbs
Go Lite Jam - 23 oz
Mariposa Plus UL 21.3 oz
Gorilla UL 22.7

Just because it says it carries up to 35# doesn't mean you have to carry 35#. And Gossamer Gear makes women's specific shoulder straps now that are narrower. ULA Relay isn't made any more. BPL has started a 6 part test series on frameless packs, it's pretty good.

bigcranky
06-02-2011, 08:33
I have an Ohm and a Circuit. While the Ohm is a very nice pack, and somewhat larger than I expected, it's probably not large enough for a thru-hike unless you already have an "ultralight" class load. The Circuit is terrific.

Also, in the smaller sizes, the capacity can be much smaller (though of course your clothing and gear is likely smaller, too.)

Wolf - 23000
06-02-2011, 11:29
Winged,

I carry a very light backpack. Before backpacks became super light, I just used a plain book bag. It worked fine and was inexpensive. If the pack that you want to try out right now is not available, mabe you should consider it.

Now my pack of choice is the Flash UL - 9 oz. It works for a very light backpacker and can be use for a long distance hike.

Wolf

Winged
06-02-2011, 13:10
I appreciate all the input. I just got off the phone with Chris at Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) during which time I ordered the Circuit back pack. My size (Small pack/Small belt) weighs in at about 32.5 oz. http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

The factors that most heavily influenced my decision included: the female poster who strongly recommended I only consider a pack with a frame; though I didn't investigate the shoulder pads on the Gossamer, I liked the s-curve option on the ULA packs; buying an American made product; posters who specifically had examples of women of a similar size to me; and my conversation with Chris.

I never eliminated the Mariposa Plus or the Gorilla. I did eliminate the Go-Lite Jam because it lacks a frame. Chris agreed in our conversation that my pack should have a frame. Because I lack any first-hand experience with pack backs, I just wanted to make a decision and move on. Time is a factor for me so ordering my top 3 choices and returning wasn't an option I considered.

In my phone conversation with Chris, I knew I was talking to someone who was an expert. After listening to my details and asking me a couple of questions he, without a doubt, recommended the Circuit. I pushed back a bit because I was kind of liking the Ohm. The Ohm is lighter in weight, I prefer it aesthetically and I know I'll NEVER haul 35lbs of anything on a hike--the weight capacity of the Circuit. But given that Chris wouldn't even consider the Ohm as a recommended option given the totality of my needs and size, I deferred to his judgment. In recommending the Circuit I think Chris was considering: my small frame; getting the absolute best fit with the hip belt; what would work for a thru-hike or just a couple of nights out; and the fact that I don't expect to be on the west coast and require a large bear canister. This last factor might have made the Catalyst a serious choice to consider.

So, the Circuit in a Small size, Small hip belt and S-Curve will weigh in at about 32.5 oz. I'm feeling really good about this decision. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

skinewmexico
06-02-2011, 14:20
You'll like it a lot. But when you go smaller, you should give the Gorilla a shot. Very similar operation and people at Gossamer Gear.

Winged
06-02-2011, 17:06
A quick comparison of the ULA Circuit to the Gossamer Gear Gorilla. The Circuit provides 1,400 ci more space, weighs 9.6 additional ounces and costs $20 more dollars. Neither good nor bad -- just different.

skinewmexico
06-02-2011, 17:46
One is smaller and lighter. You'll probably want that some day. Give the economy of Texas a little help.

Country Roads
06-02-2011, 20:24
I am 5' 1" with 16.5" torso. I mostly use the Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack. It is perfect for an ultralite load. I also have the Mariposa +, which I use when I am carrying bulkier gear. They both carry very well with up to about 20 to 22 pounds (for me); although I have not carried more than 16 pounds in the Gorilla except for conditioning walks. Which is fine for me since I rarely every carry more than that even in cold weather. For me ultralite is a necessity, not a luxury.

I lot of folks love the ULA packs; I don't think you could go too wrong with one of those!

If I have to carry a lot of water or food, I do have an old Mountainsmith Muse women's backpack that I have stripped down to 2 1/2 pound. It will carry 30 pounds easily and in comfort (as comfortable as 30 pounds can be anyway). I make a lot of my stuff, so that I can customize it to fit me and my hiking style. I only carry what I need. I find that I don't need more than 1 1/2 pound of food per day and most times less than that. I keep tabs on my water source, tank up at the source and only carry what I need to safely get to the next source (unless I plan to camp between sources, then I carry an extra liter to cook dinner and breakfast or eat dinner at the water source and not have to carry a lot extra.

Going ultralite is a continuing process. Enjoy!

Wolf - 23000
06-03-2011, 04:06
Winged,

As long as your happy with what you are getting that is all that matters. After all you are the one who is going to have to carry it. :)

Wolf