PDA

View Full Version : Trail or road at Chattahoochee Gap in Ga?

LimpsAlong
06-01-2011, 10:08
Is there a trail or road at Chattahoochee Gap to Hy 180? We kinda wanted to end there but Leigh at HH said there was not a crossing. The map shows a side trail but I'm not sure. Anyone got better info?
Thanks

brian039
06-01-2011, 11:21
There's no road only a trail. Here's a link to directions and a description of the side trail that leads to Chattahoochie Gap: http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/Jacks_Knob_Trail

LimpsAlong
06-01-2011, 11:37
thanks brian!

LimpsAlong
06-01-2011, 12:45
oh, is the side trail blue blazed?

Dances with Mice
06-01-2011, 13:24
oh, is the side trail blue blazed?I walked the Jacks Knob Trail from Chatt Gap to 180 on Monday. It is blue blazed and marked by name with a sign at Chatt Gap. The trail is well blazed, cleared, easy to follow and ends at the intersection of the road to Brasstown Bald. There is a parking lot at the Brasstown intersection.

Actually, the trail continues up towards Brasstown. But I didn't.

About 3 or 4 short climbs and a whole lot of sometimes very steep downhill.

Only water is at Chatt Gap and about a quarter mile from 180.

brian039
06-01-2011, 13:27
Yes, it is blue blazed but don't expect the same level of maintenance as the AT is in GA. If you're doing this in the summer don't be surprised if the trail is pretty overgrown. It's a pretty easy hike though from 180 to the AT just make sure you have enough water to make it to the spring at Chattahoochee Gap.

Alligator
06-01-2011, 13:52
I hiked it last week. It was fine, DWM's description is right on, we didn't need water though.

I had managed to add it to the topo I had done for that AT (using Topo USA), so here it is split out. Note the vertical exageration is not what is typically used on standard maps.

LimpsAlong
06-01-2011, 14:06
Thanks all. This makes my planning a lot easier.

Dances with Mice
06-02-2011, 11:24
I had managed to add it to the topo I had done for that AT (using Topo USA), so here it is split out. Note the vertical exageration is not what is typically used on standard maps.By any chance, do you also have the section between Hog Pen Gap & Chatt Gap?

Alligator
06-02-2011, 18:52
Topo USA may be slightly off on the Jack's Knob trail junction. It seemed to me that the trail went over the west side of the knob. (This is hard to see on the attached map.) Also, the blue blaze for Chattahoochee spring went east off the AT. I have misplaced my first GA AT map and cannot compare. I placed a stop point at where TOPO USA is saying Chattahoochee Gap is. We did not walk to the spring either time so I am not able to picture that side trail. Going NOBO, the JK trail forked to the left at about less than a 90 degree angle. In the Topo USA map, the junction makes it almost seem a backtrack. I am wondering now if perhaps the junction is closer to Chattahochee Gap.

Besides the TOPO USA map, I printed out the profiles from the GATC website as a second reference.