PDA

View Full Version : ticks on dog

medic mullins
06-01-2011, 11:42
whats the trick to keep ticks of my trail dog ?im stuggling here

Second Half
06-01-2011, 11:59
Have you tried a spot treatment such as Frontline?

WingedMonkey
06-01-2011, 12:06
I'm going to assume from, your other posts that you have not taken your dog to a vet. As much as I hate to go to doctors for myself, I feel there is a need to have a good relationship with a vet for dogs, specially hunting or trail dogs that are exposed to ticks and mosquitoes.
Your vet will probably suggest Advantage or Frontline after your dog has been checked and cleared as much as possible from existing ticks by hand removal and baths with correct soaps.
Your vet will also check for heart worms which are carried by mosquitoes and prescribe Heartguard or another prophylactic medication. Your animal must be free of excising heart worms first.
If you are going to take your dog to the woods you need to take basic care of them.

The Old Boot
06-01-2011, 12:21
First off, I'd suggest asking the vet for a product called 'Revolution' (after tests for heartworm etc. It's a multi-protection product that's good for heartworm, mites and fleas. It's actually less expensive than using 2 different med's for heartworm AND fleas etc and it also protects against the mites that carry mange - something else dogs can be exposed to out in the woods.

There is also a vaccination available for dogs for Lyme disease.

It won't stop the ticks from biting however. It's always a shock to find a grape sized engorged tick hanging off your dog or worse yet falling off onto the carpet....:eek:

When the dog and I did a lot of travelling through areas with high lyme incident I used to insist on the lyme vaccine. Sometimes I had to hunt around for a vet that even carried it, particularly when I was in an area that had a real low incidence of it.

grayfox
06-01-2011, 12:45
WingedMonkey and The Old Boot are absolutely SPOT ON.

ChinMusic
06-01-2011, 12:51
When using Frontline the ticks will still get on the dog, but they die quickly (or at least before they can transmit disease....I hope). I have found up to 50 ticks, in one check, on my dog at one time.

Feral Bill
06-01-2011, 12:55
When using Frontline the ticks will still get on the dog, but they die quickly (or at least before they can transmit disease....I hope). .

How is it they don't have something like this for people?

Spirit Walker
06-01-2011, 12:58
Since you live in PA, your dog should be getting monthly heartworm and tick treatment year around. The Lyme vaccine is also recommended for this area. You can also use a topical powder or spray - but killing the ticks and flea eggs is best done with Frontline Plus or something similar. Ask your vet. My understanding is that the combined flea/tick/heartworm meds are more toxic to dogs as well as parasites.

Every time you take your dog out you need to go over him/her carefully and remove any ticks you see. Use a slicker brush or comb. As others have said, the Frontline Plus kills them, but only after a day or so. I've found that ticks seem to migrate to the head and ears especially - probably because the dog can't reach them there, but also because our dog likes to stick his nose in deep grass and bushes.

ChinMusic
06-01-2011, 13:44
I just treat my clothing with permethrin for a similar effect. IMO, I am only vulnerable in the neck/ears area and forearms..... a lot less surface area to check.......:D

The Old Boot
06-01-2011, 14:06

There actually was TWO vaccines developed for human use. I was just doing some reading on them...they were both discontinued in 2002 for several reasons.

First being that it was decided that they weren't cost effective. Of course back then, the incidence of lyme in humans was much lower than it is today even taking into consideration the lack of proper diagnosis in many parts of North America.

The vaccines were a three part vaccine, 2nd dose had to be given 1 month after first dose, 3rd shot one year later. Only partial protection was found after the second shot and the 1st @ 3rd had to be given at specific timing of the tick season.

I'm sure the technology is still around but until a drug company feels that the profit from it is sufficient and the medical profession and it's insurers find that it's more cost effective to prevent rather than treat, it's stuck on some shelf gathering dust.

A rather long document on it all at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr4807a1.htm

OutdoorsMan
06-01-2011, 17:02
Have you tried a spot treatment such as Frontline?

I used Frontline for years and it works great. However, I always felt like I was being ripped off (paying too much). Now Wally World and Sam's Club are the exclusive distributors of a new product that has the exact same ingredients as Frontline. The new product is called Petarmor. I paid $28 for three doses vs. $45 for three doses of Frontline.

http://www.petarmor.com/works/how_it_works.php

WingedMonkey
06-01-2011, 17:11
I used Frontline for years and it works great. However, I always felt like I was being ripped off (paying too much). Now Wally World and Sam's Club are the exclusive distributors of a new product that has the exact same ingredients as Frontline. The new product is called Petarmor. I paid $28 for three doses vs. $45 for three doses of Frontline.

http://www.petarmor.com/works/how_it_works.php

Also something that Walmart.com offers free shopping on.

Rocket Jones
06-02-2011, 06:35
Also something that Walmart.com offers free shopping on.

I think you meant 'shipping', right? No matter though, just ignore the money you would save. You can't order from Walmart because they're *evil*! :rolleyes:

WingedMonkey
06-02-2011, 13:16
I think you meant 'shipping', right? No matter though, just ignore the money you would save. You can't order from Walmart because they're *evil*! :rolleyes:

LOL, yeah shipping. Just spent hours at the evil place last night taking my mother shopping. "Where are you going?" she asks. "What makes you think I'm getting ready to go somewhere" says I.
"Cause you don't buy that stuff for home" Says she.
"You don't like Spam with your Nido?" I smiled
She mumbled something about me not letting here eat all that fat and salt.