PDA

View Full Version : Am I biting off more then I can chew?

bberk1
06-01-2011, 12:51
I have limited backpacking experience and am planning on hiking part of the trail.
Day 1 clingmans dome to derrick knob. day 2 to mollies ridge and day 3 to fontana dam. This will be in late june so I'm not sure of the temps. Are the distances too far? I'm under 40 and relatively good shape. Thoughts? Advice? How about some assurance. :)

Thanks,
Brian

scope
06-01-2011, 13:20
"under 40" is a bit broad, no? I see you're 38, though. Mileage sounds completely doable, but still long for someone that's not used to it. Just take lots of Vitamin I !!

bberk1
06-01-2011, 13:35
well almost 40. and yes vitamin i is my drug of choice

jbwood5
06-01-2011, 13:51
Take some insect repellent. The black flies can be bad in June.
The climb to Clingmans might be a nice challenge. I assume you are starting at Newfound Gap. Nice hike. You should already have made your shelter reservations.

bberk1
06-01-2011, 13:56
getting dropped off at clingmans dome and hiking west. can i hike in shorts and short sleeve or are the bugs that bad?

jbwood5
06-01-2011, 15:08
getting dropped off at clingmans dome and hiking west. can i hike in shorts and short sleeve or are the bugs that bad?

I'd hike in shorts and SS. I recall some days where it got pretty warm up there in June. Deet seems to work OK with those black flies, but not so good with deer flies and sweat bees which are like flying mouths that immediately bite before they notice the Deet. It's the black flies on the ridge that bothered me.

Keep in mind that you will be going downhill right away so I hope your knees are in good shape. :)

bobjob
06-01-2011, 15:12
well almost 40. and yes vitamin i is my drug of choice

This sounds like you already know that you need pain killers to finish this hike. If this is so, you should change your plans.

On a hike you should use drugs only to get off the trail and not to finish it.

For all above: IMHO

jbwood5
06-01-2011, 15:21
This sounds like you already know that you need pain killers to finish this hike. If this is so, you should change your plans.

On a hike you should use drugs only to get off the trail and not to finish it.

For all above: IMHO

That is really good advice IMHO. The negative effects show up later in life.

I take a Glucosamine-Sulfate everyday (going on 15 years now). It seems to help preserve the knees for older folks. There is no guarantees and no immediate results, but in the long run studies indicate that it helps. I look at it as cheap insurance.

It did get some small knee aches coming down from Clingmans last year with a daypack on. No permanent problems though.

Keep your load as light as possible.

bberk1
06-01-2011, 15:42
I'll probably invest in some hiking poles or bring my ski poles