PDA

View Full Version : do you all use weather alerts on your cell?

mweinstone
06-01-2011, 13:08
they are very usefull. free and can save a life. my cell just rang second ago and displayed this message:alert [email protected]@
tornado watch untill 8 pm.wed.condishons faverable for severe thunderstorms with possible tornados.

Namaste
06-01-2011, 13:27
No. Weather is weather.....I'm always prepared for anything.

Hikes in Rain
06-01-2011, 13:56
Sorta. I call my wife, and she reads the report to me. Does that count?

sonic
06-01-2011, 14:43
I live in Texas and they are very useful during the spring when tornados can pop up out of nowhere. It's free so why not?

DrRichardCranium
06-01-2011, 14:54
During my thru-hike I would sometimes look at the Doppler radar on the weather channel on my Droid, and managed to dodge a few rainstorms that way.

DapperD
06-01-2011, 17:54
they are very usefull. free and can save a life. my cell just rang second ago and displayed this message:alert [email protected]@
tornado watch untill 8 pm.wed.condishons faverable for severe thunderstorms with possible tornados.No. No need to live in fear.

LIhikers
06-01-2011, 18:15
No.
While I own a cell phone, a Tracfone, I rarely turn it on.

leaftye
06-01-2011, 19:06
I don't care about weather alerts, but it would be nice to get weather reports, but alas, I have a dumbphone.

The Old Boot
06-01-2011, 19:13
At home I have radar and weather reports on favorites!

When I'm hiking, 99 % of the time, it's out past any cell coverage anyways.

Heck, where I drive at least 2 or 3 days a week, I'm without coverage, so no, there's no alert system for me other than looking at the sky!!

Migrating Bird
06-01-2011, 19:22
I also have a dumb cell phone. FYI there was a tornado 30 miles east of the AT today in W. Springfield/Springfield, MA and points east. Parts of the AT in Tryingham, LEE, Becket got 1-2" hail this afternoon.

Mr Boston
06-01-2011, 20:36
tornado watch untill 8 pm.wed.condishons faverable for severe thunderstorms with possible tornados.

Maybe you saved my life?
After reading this thread earlier today I signed up for severe weather alerts. I have since received 27 alerts about tornadoes in Westfield, MA. There has been one fatality and lots of property damage. I think it was 1995 the last time a tornado caused any damage around here. I bet Mt. Greylock has some spectacular views of the storms.

sbhikes
06-01-2011, 21:37
Why bother? What are you going to do? The weather report before you leave is usually not accurate so why would some alert over the phone be any better? And haven't you noticed that nowadays they think it's alert-worthy if the temperature isn't 72 and the wind speed is more than 0?

bk18
06-01-2011, 21:46
Why bother? What are you going to do? The weather report before you leave is usually not accurate so why would some alert over the phone be any better? And haven't you noticed that nowadays they think it's alert-worthy if the temperature isn't 72 and the wind speed is more than 0?

What are you going to do? Maybe hide and protect yourself from the tornado that's about to rip through your town?

leaftye
06-01-2011, 22:02

The ones of Postholer's site seemed good when I was able to get it. One night the prediction for light showers was an hour off. Not bad. The problem was getting those weather reports was tedious because I lacked a smart phone. I basically want to know if I should put up my shelter and if I should be seeking better shelter asap. Alerts aren't all that useful on the trail, especially since it's highly dependent on your location. If you're going to be checking each day anyway, you might as well get the report...based around your coordinates of course.

Snowleopard
06-01-2011, 23:07
Thanks for the idea Mattewski. I think I'll set it up for everyone in my family for use at home. I spent 20 minutes sitting out a possible tornado today in Northern Worcester County, with a second possible aimed at my ex-wife's house in Worcester. Westfield, Springfield, and southern Worcester County had two tornados with 4 deaths so far and significant damage. The news just said there were 7 confirmed tornados (so far) in Mass today.

An alternative for home use would be a weather radio with a weather alarm.

On trail, I don't know what would work.

mweinstone
06-02-2011, 07:56
may i clearafy? weather alerts dont come to your cell unless their are life threatening condishions comming into your area . they just dont call to tell you its hot. they say its going to be 100 and old folks need help. thats all. and they give you time to plan where you will be. not like you take off running in fear, more like you keep an i to the sky, or maby you close the windows before leaveing or check the boat is moored for high tides or one of a million conveinyences. but sometimes they save a life like yesterday. god bless those brave souls who stood helpless and watched their world destroyed and will keep going. wish i could go help . i am good in those situations. i can jimmy rig anything or fix it right.

Snowleopard
06-02-2011, 08:00
Where did you sign up for the alerts?

Doc Mike
06-02-2011, 08:09
No. Weather is weather.....I'm always prepared for anything.
This is complete BS. My Ipad saved my life when a weather alert was on it at 1:15 am in glade springs virginia on 4/28. F-3 tornado that I made it into the bathroom seconds before my hotel room was destroyed.

mweinstone
06-02-2011, 08:16
snowlepstriss, you can go to the national site for it and pick your zipcode or city and apply. then it comes to your phone.
and folks, weather alers dont come every day or week or even month. only severe weather . so unless damage or loss of life is exspected, you dont get alot of texts. id say , about one every 10 days is my average. but during a week of storms i may get 3. so i belive its not going to cost alot of your aloted texts. if your texts cost a dime each you might wanna rethink. i have unlimited. i belive the weather alert saved my artworks a few times just by my closeing windows i wouldnt have. sometimes we wake up and its sunny and calm and theirs an alert that says their will be cats and dogs raining shortly and to stay indoors.

mweinstone
06-02-2011, 08:23
noah site, cant spell dammit, has a weather advisery on it as of 320 am last eve for frost and freezing in state collage pa! holy crap! they say fragile plants will need to be protected. see? you might have lost your garden. or froze to death camping! wow! 30 degrees! it was 87 late last night here and went down 20 overnight