PDA

View Full Version : another knee question

Toki
06-01-2011, 14:25
I've scanned quite a few threads about knee injuries/prevention, but didn't find what I was looking for.
I had my ACL replaced about 3-4yrs ago and I don't have any current issues with it. However, I live and hike in super flat south florida, and have no idea how it will stand up to elevation changes. I plan on using walking poles, and I was wondering if I should wear a brace as a preventitive measure.
I'm inclined to wait and see if it hurts, even though that's probably not the smartest plan. Any one here have a similar situation? I'd also be interested in the style of brace used, if any at all.

ChinMusic
06-01-2011, 14:39
I plan on using walking poles, and I was wondering if I should wear a brace as a preventitive measure.
Bring a simple brace for sure. Since you are pain-free on flat, I wouldn't put it on unless you feel someting amiss. Your knees will strengthen better on their own, but don't push it. I have great knees (knock on wood) but still can feel some pain on rough downhills late in the day. Steep downhills are a bitch on knees.

I have just started bringing a relatively light, 3-strap velcro, model for such days. I took it on my last section hike and never had to get it out of my pack. I'm still glad I took it. On a thru, if I didn't use it for a couple weeks I would prob send it home with the plan of buying another one (they are cheap) if the pain returned.

Blissful
06-01-2011, 15:13
I used a cho pat dual strap brace.
But I might inquire of a good sports MD about what you want to do and what he recommends for bracing, exercises for strengthening (knee issues mainly happen when there is an imbalance between the quads and hamstrings and just doing too much too soon)

hikingshoes
06-01-2011, 15:27
When there is an imbalance between the quads and hamstrings and just doing too much too soon!! Very well put there Ms. Blissful.

My GF and I look like a 90 year old couple coming into HS. We laugh at it now but it was a killer at the time. If you had of ask me before the hike which would i like best hiking down hill vs up, I would have said down, but after this hike i really enjoy hiking up hill. HS

ChinMusic
06-01-2011, 15:52
But I might inquire of a good sports MD about what you want to do and what he recommends for bracing....
I went to an MD and the brace they suggested would have taken up half my pack (exaggeration) and been incredibly hot. And that was after saying my knees were good and I only needed some help on long days with a downhill at the end.

Unless directed by an MD I would go with the simple brace from any drug store.

Toki
06-01-2011, 16:07
Thanks so much for the advise guys. I know what you mean about giant braces ChinMusic, I have several of them from my post op days and they are all just way too much, even the light compression one I wore at the end of rehab. I'll just pack one and monitor my knee carefully then.

I like the look of the Cho Pat one Blissful, it looks nice and cool.

DapperD
06-01-2011, 17:37
Bring a simple brace for sure. Since you are pain-free on flat, I wouldn't put it on unless you feel someting amiss. Your knees will strengthen better on their own, but don't push it. I have great knees (knock on wood) but still can feel some pain on rough downhills late in the day. Steep downhills are a bitch on knees.Which leads me to wonder wether doing a thru-hike "downhill" from Maine to Georgia would be harder on one's knees than going from Georgia to Maine:)

I've scanned quite a few threads about knee injuries/prevention, but didn't find what I was looking for.
I had my ACL replaced about 3-4yrs ago and I don't have any current issues with it. However, I live and hike in super flat south florida, and have no idea how it will stand up to elevation changes. I plan on using walking poles, and I was wondering if I should wear a brace as a preventitive measure.
I'm inclined to wait and see if it hurts, even though that's probably not the smartest plan. Any one here have a similar situation? I'd also be interested in the style of brace used, if any at all.From what I know walking poles are highly recommended to prevent knee distress, and some type of staff or poles for those with current or previous knee issues is most assuredly recommended. Also keeping pack weight to a minimum is important, and at least having a quality knee brace available if and when the knees act up would be a good measure to take.

Chubbs4U
06-01-2011, 18:46
I have also had a few knee problems. For me going down is a lot harder then going up. It seems you use quite a few muscles that never get used going down. About 8 years after my surgery, I recently was walking down a very steep incline and felt a "pain" that I have never felt. I would suggest a brace that your comfotlrtable with and you should be fine.

Pedaling Fool
06-01-2011, 18:52
Weight training, period. Weight training is a base for all activities. Don't forget to do deep knee bends http://jasonferruggia.com/deep-knee-bends/

jbwood5
06-01-2011, 20:53
Weight training, period. Weight training is a base for all activities. Don't forget to do deep knee bends http://jasonferruggia.com/deep-knee-bends/

Ouch! I haven't done those since my 40's. Very tough on the knees for us older guys. A half squat works good though and is pretty effective, especially with a 50 pound barbell on your shoulders.

map man
06-01-2011, 22:10
+1 for the Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap. I had bad ITB problems (not the same as ACL, I know) on my first long backpacking trip and the two things that have prevented that on subsequent trips have been:

1) the Cho-Pat knee straps
2) the lightest footware I can get away with

I have read other accounts that also credit these two things for preventing knee problems in addition to ITB so it might be worth a try.

Pedaling Fool
06-02-2011, 07:09
http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Weightlifting-for-Men-Over-50/930443

jbwood5
06-02-2011, 07:33
http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Weightlifting-for-Men-Over-50/930443

Good reminder. Of course hiking the mountains of the East with 40 pounds on your back is pretty effective too. Now, if we just had the time to do it often....... :sun

Dogwood
06-02-2011, 14:20
I'm not a M.D. or specialize in sports medicine but I would do as Blissful stated.

Not a knee problem, but FWIW, I was hit as a pedestrian by an oncoming car going in excess of 75 mph 4 months before the start of my NOBO AT thru. My left fibula near the ankle was broken and my ankle ligaments were severly stretched and moderately torn. The ligaments did not snap though. I could put little wt on that left leg ankle for 3 solid months. I got my cast off the last day of Feb. Throughout March I did stretching rehabilation exercises religiously and gradually working up to putting progressively more wt on that left leg. I was still favoring crutches in mid March.

As I was rehabilitating my ankle I got on a stetching/strengthening/diet regimen to build up my joints and ligaments and to decrease inflammation. I found out that foods, lifestyle, and several supplements can play significant roles in speeding up the healing process and help prevent future medical problems! To this day I consume high quality personal dosage specific glucocasime, chondroitan, boswellia serrata, MSM, Pycogenol, hyaluronic Acid, hydrolized collagen, and SAM-e daily.

I hit the AT in Ga on Apr 13. I used trekking poles at the start to take off some of the wt to my left leg. I pared down my pack wt and MPD at the start. I GRADUALLY worked into my hike feeling out my ankle's condition. I taped my ankle for the first few weeks with leucotape. I took Naproxen(Alleve) for pain but shortly discontinued it.

After decades of competitive tennis and basketball, and engaging in 3-4 x per wk running and high impact aerobics as part of my work out routine my joints have never felt better! But, there is no magic bullet pill or thing I do in any single one of the things I do. My joint, cartilage, bone, and ligament health is really about the cummulative things I do to make that happen.

As DapperD stated, and I agree, it might be easier on your knees at first to start in Ga going NOBO than starting in Me going SOBO.