PDA

View Full Version : Hiking sandals

amac
06-01-2011, 16:08
I've been using Teva Dozer sandals to hike in and love them. Problem is that the sole has worn out very fast. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hiking sandal with a long-lasting sole?

amac
06-02-2011, 17:40
Anyone?...

Shiraz-mataz
06-03-2011, 06:14
I'm also a big fan of Tevas (when not hiking in VFF's). My go-to style is the Teva Terra-Fi II. I've got one pair that just keeps going and going...

Marta
06-03-2011, 07:12
I wear Chacos. The soles have worn well. I also have less debris getting between my foot and the sandal than when I wore Tevas. I prefer the Z-1 type rather than the Z-2 type, which has the separate toe thong.

d.o.c
06-03-2011, 08:09
my chacos took me thru vermont and maine. now i wear them around town but the tread is on its way out but for hiking they did awsome.

CrumbSnatcher
06-03-2011, 08:28
the older chacos are much more performance minded than the new ones, the newer ones have a harder less marking sole,and are suppose to last longer, when i talked to a chaco rep last year, she said the sandels went from performance to college campus.

d.o.c
06-03-2011, 08:38
oh man well glad i got nice pair of the old ones to.. thats lame though

CrumbSnatcher
06-03-2011, 08:48
last year or the year before, i went on e-bay and bought 3 new-never used older pairs. i now own 4 pairs. i always made it to about NH. before the big toe strap would break, then i would duct tape the rest of the way, not wanting to spend more on shoes(the soles easily will last on a thruhike) i threw two pair away in the past and my last two pair i had resoled at the factory, its been a couple years but they were able to resole until they ran out of the older material. i think the sandels are made out of country now

Mühly
06-12-2011, 12:43
I have an older pair that I used every day until my cockatoo got at them. They lasted me three years in and out of water, up and down dusty hills, etc.

My new pair don't fit the same; I swear the strap placement changed. I also think they have a harder sole, but they have better traction than my old Chacos; a deeper track. I used my new pair hiking Zion, up and down slicks, through numerous water crossings, and on the trails in Escalante... the Chacos were excellent!

CrumbSnatcher
06-12-2011, 13:02
the newer soles are harder,so they are less marking. IMO the older vibramn soles had superior traction.
even on big mileage days of 20-40 miles,they are so very comfortable and i would find myself in camp hours after hiking with my sandels still on. no need for camp shoes at all, thats for sure.

CrumbSnatcher
06-12-2011, 13:09
i believe they did make different types of soles depending on your activity, i remember one sole was for the river warriors only, and one was for hiking and so on

LDog
06-12-2011, 14:33
I've been using Teva Dozer sandals to hike in and love them. Problem is that the sole has worn out very fast.

I looked at these on campmor, and they listed them at 11 oz a pair. Which I found pretty damned light. Then REI listed them at 1 lb 6 oz ... Any idea what these puppies weigh? might be a replacement for Crocs for camp wear/stream crossings ...

amac
06-12-2011, 20:58
11 oz a pair, I would believe 11 oz each. Mine weigh 23 oz, using my scale.

LDog
06-12-2011, 21:35
11 oz a pair, I would believe 11 oz each. Mine weigh 23 oz, using my scale.

That makes more sense. Thanks

fireneck
09-25-2011, 03:21
Chaco was bought out by Wolverine (owns Merrell) in January of 2009. Maybe thats when some of the overall quality was lost. I bought a pair of Chacos in March. I wore them every day from Mid May to mid August working as an Outdoor Education Instructor. The webbing is frying pretty bad.. and the lightweight soles are showing the wear for sure! I must so I am always hard on my footwear! I plan on getting them resoled and webbed.

fireneck
09-25-2011, 03:22
...and I am thinking about taking them on my thru hike when I swap out by cold gear for my summer gear.