PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Sleep System???

Gaiter
06-01-2011, 16:42
So I purchased a big agnes horse theif 35* down sleeping bag on sale and then i learned about the "big agnes sleep system" mine isn't the newer model so it only works with mummy shaped sleeping pads...

Call me weird but I prefer the closed cell pads over the air ones, they never leak, I'm thinking of taking a Thermarest Ridge rest and trimming to the mummy shape... has anyone done this, or something similar? does it work, any other input, including discussion of star wars and other irrelevant information is welcome ;)

-SEEKER-
06-01-2011, 17:28
When I looked at them it was my understanding that there was no insulation on the bottom side of the sleeping bag and that was why they were meant to be purchased together as a system. Google Big Agnes and look for a section of FAQ's. Most sites have them. See if that helps.

LIhikers
06-01-2011, 18:21
So I purchased a big agnes horse theif 35* down sleeping bag on sale and then i learned about the "big agnes sleep system" mine isn't the newer model so it only works with mummy shaped sleeping pads...

Call me weird but I prefer the closed cell pads over the air ones, they never leak, I'm thinking of taking a Thermarest Ridge rest and trimming to the mummy shape... has anyone done this, or something similar? does it work, any other input, including discussion of star wars and other irrelevant information is welcome ;)

My wife uses a Ridge Rest pad year round. We get out for some winter backpacking and she says it keeps her warm enough even when the ground is covered with snow. If it works for her I don't see why it wouldn't work for you too. I don't think cutting it to fit your bag will change anything as far as insulating qualities.

Blissful
06-01-2011, 19:19
My hubby has a Big Agnes but he hammocks, so his pad is for insulation which he cut for size. Don't see why you couldn't with a ridgerest.

k.reynolds70
06-01-2011, 22:31
My old lady recently bought a nice Big Agnes bag and the REI person tried to sell her on the system you're talking about.
Went home and tried the Z-rest , and it worked fine. So I think you'd be alright with the ridgerest;)

Happy trails!

STICK
06-01-2011, 22:41
It should be no problem at all. Just trim it to fit and think of it like this, you are only cutting weight! :)

Newb
06-02-2011, 09:30
I love my BA 35* Gunn Creek and inflatable pad. I HAVE to have the inflatable...thermarests are too thin and my delicate constitution demands comfort.

Del Q
06-02-2011, 21:31
Yup, I trimmed my Thermarest and also sleep on top of the pad as with all other sleeping bags.

Tinker
06-03-2011, 00:59
I have a Ridgerest which I picked up in a hiker box in Ga. in 2006 and later cut short as a torso sized pad which I trimmed to a mummy shape. Sure it works (but my hammock is much more comfortable). ;)